LETTER TO DEVS: Custom event end times VS shield cooldowns

turul
turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
Dear D3P,

So, this is again the "one step ahead, two step backwards"-situation.
Custom end times let the playerbase pick an optimal time to play.
Now, with cooldowns, you took that away. with 8hr cooldowns, the time interval needed before choosen end time is far too big, making a lot of players unable to rank well, of those who have limited free time.

Best thing to do would be completely removing cooldowns, instead please implement a "NOT PENALTY FOR PLAYING"-approach.

If cooldowns must stay, my recommendation is a ridiculously small time, like 30mins.

Thankyou for listening!

Comments

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I think maybe a better solution would be to simply limit the number of shields you get per event. Give everyone something like (2) 3 hours shields, (2) 8 hour shields and (1) 24 hour shield, to use at the players convenience (or not at all, up to you)

Same net effect on overall scoring possibility as the tiny-kittyed cooldown debacle, far less disgruntled players.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    So players can't get in the top five any more? Those positions dissapeared? I'm sorry if this sounds snarky, but I think you need a little more detail here. People are still getting the top five slots, you need to adapt how you play. If you mean progression awards, they've already stated they'll adjust those thresholds if needed. I'm not seeing any big issue, except for the fact that its less about spending money to shield hop, and more about timing, roster, and a little luck.
  • All their moves is a way of making the vets leave.

So if they find out they succeed with what they are doing, they'll go further.

D3 : Thank you vets, we had your money, we no longer need you. Give the top spots to noobs who spend way more than you !

Oh no, Thank you is probably not what they are thinking. **** you would be more appropriate.
  • Yes, people are able to get the progression rewards, the last bracket I was in the leader had 1300+.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a job too, but I want to be able to rank well to, but i would rather buy covers directly than this un-fun way of progression...
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    wirius wrote:
    So players can't get in the top five any more? Those positions dissapeared? I'm sorry if this sounds snarky, but I think you need a little more detail here. People are still getting the top five slots, you need to adapt how you play. If you mean progression awards, they've already stated they'll adjust those thresholds if needed. I'm not seeing any big issue, except for the fact that its less about spending money to shield hop, and more about timing, roster, and a little luck.

I think it's MORE about spending money now. I've hit 1300 a few times in the past, and I could usually pull it off with ~4-5 shields, more if I got an unlucky hop/board/cascade etc. So a 1300 placement run would cost me anywhere from 300 - 600 HP. A phenomenal deal for a 4* cover, not disputing that, which is why the stress of it was worth it. Now, I'd have to cycle all three shields to reliably get there, or at the very least the 3/8 hour ones (and my timing would have to be PERFECT). Cycling all 3 shields every 8 hours runs you 575 HP, and your average player trying for 1300 is probably going to need to do this 2x to get there. So if you're willing to drop over 1,000 HP for a cover, sure, you can get there. At that point tho, you might as well just buy the thing for 2500 and save yourself the headache. Either way, D3 makes far more $$$$$$$. "Drop in the hat" indeed icon_rolleyes.gif
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    I know the cooldown was implemented to slow down those who exploited the shield hopping to get ridiculous scores, but in reality, it punishes a player like myself - one who would hop every so often when the cover was really worth it, but can't really afford to do more than 4 or 5 3hr shields from time to time.....now, I can MAYBE do 3 per event, only at the end, which costs almost double what I would have paid in the past (375hp vs 525hp).

Take the hood tournament - I was able to climb up to 918 - good enough for 8th place. That's all well and good, except I really only needed to be top 5 since I have all the other Doom covers. but all my shields were used up, and of course if I broke my shield, I would get annihilated since I'm lacking a viable Thoress and my X-Force is decent, but only 3 black, so not nearly as intimidating. I for sure am a juicy target.

Oh, and let's not forget another MAJOR flaw - since everyone with high scores shield earlier and longer, there are no good opponents in the queues. This needs to be addressed immediately.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Custom end times let the playerbase pick an optimal time to play.
    Now, with cooldowns, you took that away. with 8hr cooldowns, the time interval needed before choosen end time is far too big, making a lot of players unable to rank well, of those who have limited free time.

But you could pick a different endtime to account for your 8 hour shield cooldown.

Sorry, that was a reasonable and logical response, what was I thinking? Obviously this is a disaster because you can't do basic maths.

D3 you tinykitties, have you no pity for the chronicaly innumerate?
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    But you could pick a different endtime to account for your 8 hour shield cooldown.

Sorry, that was a reasonable and logical response, what was I thinking? Obviously this is a disaster because you can't do basic maths.

D3 you tinykitties, have you no pity for the chronicaly innumerate?

I think you're missing the point, that having to structure your end time around shield cooldowns (I had to map out 1.5 days of shield cooldowns last PvP, and set alarms for each one) is completely counter to the idea of flexibility brought in by time slices.

If you want a high (1100+) score then you pretty much have to shield overnight on the previous day - that means an 8hr shield. By using the 8hr shield over night you're essentially having to plan out all your other shields around your sleep time the previous day... that isn't exactly user friendly.

People who work during the day, people who are at school, people with kids who need looking after / picking up... these things conflict with prescribed 8hr cooldowns on shields because (at best) you have a 3hr window where you can refresh shields without them expiring or needing to use an emergency 24hr shield. For me yesterday, shield cooldowns meant I had to play at 10am and 4pm during my working day to fit around sleep time and a convenient end time. Sneaking out from work to play MPQ is nuts, yet that's what cooldowns promote.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're all crazy.

Scheduling your life around PVE refreshes is bad enough, but I can kinda, sorta understand it.

Scheduling your life around shields in PVP? Never ever.
    So you miss out on some covers, big deal. Grab them next time they're on offer.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    You're all crazy.

Scheduling your life around PVE refreshes is bad enough, but I can kinda, sorta understand it.

Scheduling your life around shields in PVP? Never ever.
    So you miss out on some covers, big deal. Grab them next time they're on offer.

Getting your 5th Thor Blue is quite a biggie though. Pink (yeah I said it) Doom I could give less of a **** about. Getting the 1300 progression means planning around shield cooldowns now, getting the 1100 is pretty much as bad if you're not in the right slice. It's also a big investment (600-1200hp) to get to 1300pts so you have to make sure you hit it.
  • I dont mind the cooldown. Got my first top placement in the Hood PVP. Never would've happened before. Ive been in top 10 ever since the implementation of cool down. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • So it is nearly impossible to get 1300 in pvp now. So no more good covers? Is this going to be changed so I can feel like spending hours on an event and $ on hp is worth it?
  • rbdragon wrote:
    I know the cooldown was implemented to slow down those who exploited the shield hopping to get ridiculous scores

You really think they cared? They did it because too many players were able to grab the 4* progression cover for ~500 hp and they don't want to give them away so 'cheap'. Now you'll need 1500hp+ and its not guaranteed you'll make it.
    Me personally I don't think 500 hp which is 5$ is too cheap for one cover given the tine invested to get there.
    Lets see which direction they go, would be happy to take back my statement if they change progression reward structure to 900/1100 instead.