Player Tiers

I was just wondering if it would be feasible for the game to separate players in tiers.

For example:

I have a maxed 2* roster and have started to work towards my 3* (long and very annoying process).
I see the covers that I need (Luke Cage for example) in a PVP event and start my march to the top. As soon as I hit 260 points, a max level 4Thor appears... Why can't I just be placed with people around my level during these pvp's?

Is it hard for the system to sort through players? (And I'm not being sarcastic here I really would love to know if it's something easy or hard)
Why not group players depending on their rosters? Make it a range (for example PLUS/MINUS 10% of your highest character level or something).

I know everyone seems to be talking about the 2*->3* transition, I'm sure this would actually help

Comments

• Hit the skip button. Just keep hitting the skip button. And if that doesn't work, hit the skip button.
  • Because if the rewards are the same for everyone then your solution makes it fairer for transitioners at the expense of vets. You want to make all the vets fight tooth and nail against each other for the same reward you would have in a relative cakewalk.

Now make the reward greater for the vets (or lesser for the transistioners) and then it would be fair.
  • Because if the rewards are the same for everyone then your solution makes it fairer for transitioners at the expense of vets. You want to make all the vets fight tooth and nail against each other for the same reward you would have in a relative cakewalk.

Now make the reward greater for the vets (or lesser for the transistioners) and then it would be fair.

I agree with this 100%. Ya its nice to pull a 4* character but they are unusable for me cause I don't even have a single 3* character with double digits covers. So why don't they implement a reward system for each tier? Give me an extra bonus 3* cover cause I finished in top 2. Allow me to choose a 3* cover for top 2. They are really creative with characters im sure they can make a creative reward system.

And I don't wanna skip the 3* character stage and go straight to 4*... I wanna be able to use these 3* toons
  • ricin wrote:
    Hit the skip button. Just keep hitting the skip button. And if that doesn't work, hit the skip button.

i hit it 4 times and if im still seeing unbeatable teams, its time to quit and come back after ive been knocked down a bit. im at the two star wall as well and its clear that im finding more players to farm on as my roster has improved just as 3/4* rosters farm on me. the type of mmr system that somehow evaluates roster strengths before matchmaking would defeat the fact that improving your roster is the only way to be the hunter and not the hunted which is the ultimate goal of the game. you either grind your rear off or open your wallet.

the largest problem in the game is the increasing pool of rare characters and the abysmal token drop rates. i wouldnt care if they kept increasing the number of characters but consistently getting repeat 2*s from tokens and being "forced" to open more roster slots for new characters that will gather dust for who knows how long until they are even usable is most frustrating for me.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koko81 wrote:
    I see the covers that I need (Luke Cage for example) in a PVP event and start my march to the top. As soon as I hit 260 points, a max level 4Thor appears... Why can't I just be placed with people around my level during these pvp's?
    Because I need Cage too. No reason why it should be easier for you than me.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Koko81 wrote:
    Because I need Cage too. No reason why it should be easier for you than me.

How will it be easier for me if the people im facing are at my level while the people youre facing are at yours
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koko81 wrote:
    How will it be easier for me if the people im facing are at my level while the people youre facing are at yours
    If everyone faces people at approximately the same level, why would you ever want to level your characters up? You are supposed to "hit a wall" sooner or later, and level your characters up accordingly in order to get through it. The higher level you are, the longer it takes before the wall comes.
  • It's not entirely fair with the way the game overlaps characters of significant character strength but think about what happens if they did separate people into tiers. For the sake of argument we'll just do it strictly as a function of level. So, how is it fair that the guy with the lowest level characters in the highest tier compared to the guy with the highest level characters in the second highest tier? The first guy is going to be a relative punching bag while the second guy dominates. Okay so you say we don't care about the first guy and it sucks to be him, except these tiers obviously should not be based on level and instead should measure performance in some way, so this means the first guy should purposely do slightly worse so that he and the second guy swap places, and of course the second guy, knowing this, should also try to do slightly worse too so that the guy below him moves up to the next tier. At that point you'd have a nonsensical meta game where people on the edge of the tiers are always trying to drop into a lower tier.
  • Ahh I see what you guys mean! I actually thought it would be a great way to help out those transitioning. Oh well back to the 166 wall for me then icon_e_sad.gif
  • I had always envisioned the eventual breakdown of player Tiers as being voluntary. Pick a tier, pick a slice and off you go.

Tier 1:
    -only fight players who choose Tier 1
    -no 3-4*s allowed at all
    -lots of 1* covers given out
    -some 2*s given out
    -first place gets one 3* cover
    -smaller iso rewards
    -smaller HP rewards

Tier 2:
    -only fight those who choose tier 2
    -No 4*s allowed
    -Normal rewards

Tier 3:
    -Only fight those who choose tier 3
    -all characters allowed
    -many 3*s given out
    -more 4*s given out
    -more Iso
    -more HP

So you can choose to fight those at your level for level appropriate rewards, go down to remember what 2* days were like and still earn some iso, or go up to try to compete hard for chances at bigger rewards more glory etc.

The veteran shield hopping crowd usually only fight each other after a point anyways so why not let them fight for better rewards. Letting the Vets go up a tier opens up a ton of room for 2-3* transitioners to shine at their level, and having a lower tier lets people have an easy mode for when they don't care about the rewards and just want to play.

Put a multiplier on points for each Tier so Tier 1 only earns 2/3 the number of alliance/season points with Tier 3 earning a third more. If this spreads the players too thin maybe back off on the number of time slice options until a happy medium can be reached.
  • Quebbster
    I had always envisioned the eventual breakdown of player Tiers as being voluntary. Pick a tier, pick a slice and off you go.

Tier 1:
    -only fight players who choose Tier 1
    -no 3-4*s allowed at all
    -lots of 1* covers given out
    -some 2*s given out
    -first place gets one 3* cover
    -smaller iso rewards
    -smaller HP rewards

Tier 2:
    -only fight those who choose tier 2
    -No 4*s allowed
    -Normal rewards

Tier 3:
    -Only fight those who choose tier 3
    -all characters allowed
    -many 3*s given out
    -more 4*s given out
    -more Iso
    -more HP

So you can choose to fight those at your level for level appropriate rewards, go down to remember what 2* days were like and still earn some iso, or go up to try to compete hard for chances at bigger rewards more glory etc.

The veteran shield hopping crowd usually only fight each other after a point anyways so why not let them fight for better rewards. Letting the Vets go up a tier opens up a ton of room for 2-3* transitioners to shine at their level, and having a lower tier lets people have an easy mode for when they don't care about the rewards and just want to play.

Put a multiplier on points for each Tier so Tier 1 only earns 2/3 the number of alliance/season points with Tier 3 earning a third more. If this spreads the players too thin maybe back off on the number of time slice options until a happy medium can be reached.
    I don't think I would ever pick tier 3 with that arrangement. I usually do well enough for myself as is to earn at least two three-star covers per event, and I feel my HP and ISO inflow is adequate. If I can do well in an easier tier, why would I aspire to the higher tier?
  • Then tier 2 would be just right for you. It is the place to work on your 3* roster. Tier 3 would be for those hoping to earn a couple of 4*s instead of a couple threes.
  • Quebbster
    Then tier 2 would be just right for you. It is the place to work on your 3* roster. Tier 3 would be for those hoping to earn a couple of 4*s instead of a couple threes.
    I have 20 166s, so my 3* roster is just fine. I just don't see much need to move into tier 3, particularly since all the people with fully leveled Thors and Wolverines would have left tier 2...
  • i got lucky with a few xforce draws 3 greentile.png 1 blacktile.png (also one of each where from the daily) and purchased on a sale to bring up to 5 greentile.png 5 blacktile.png , however my next 3 star.png character are lacking so i held off lvling my xforce too much to keep my team balanced with my other characters i would hate this tier system as it is cause i got a 4* i would like to use but the rest of my team is lacking to compete with the bigger fish. so i would have to sack my 4 star.png to play where the rest of my team is at or be a feeding buffet in the high tier. Being a feeding buffet would not be so bad if i could easily get 3 star.png characters. If not i think you should add 2 more tiers:
    1) a lower rewards tier 3 where all characters are available with limited 4* and mostly 3* rewards

2)a imcoin.png hp and iso iso8.png only tier if I want on focusing lvling up my characters or pay for rooster slots.

With this tier system it makes it viable to create more 2 star.png and 1 star.png characters and develop lower level events only. It will require more development but could also create better balancing with new characters.

other suggestions
    maybe have those characters with multiple star.png characters to build up to the next tier must be fully covered and iso cost HP cost of cover in next tier => one of each cover in next tier

also please redo 3 star.png Spidey he says he sorry for stun locking, He respects the Nerf bat *flinches* and he humbly ask for permission to come out of the dark basement. he should have a web stun, a dodge/spider sense ability and a counter attack ability that can trigger on Cascades(fewer as the skill levels) or once a certain amount of damage has been met
  • I tought about something like that too but with the possibility to enter all tier if you want. this way you could use your roster more fully. You could battle in all three tiers with a different roster.
  • Arctic_One
    Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    As a transitioning 2-3* player, PvP events are all but useless to me now. Once I near 400 pts, I then lose more points than I can possibly gain. Either by getting attacked 3-5 times and losing while I'm playing a single game or just flat out losing 8 out of 10 games to teams I shouldn't be forced to play. Yes, I know I can skip but, on average it takes upwards of 25 skips to find a team without a single character above level 94, which is where my best characters are. I propose that i should be able to drop out of an event at anytime, without the ability to re-enter. Thus i can fight my way to 400 for a mere 25 HP and a pitance of ISO without ending up with about 100 - 150 points at the end of the tournament, which is normally where I end up at. Not only does the current system makes it much harder for a 2*-3* transition than it is to make the 1* - 2* leap, it also makes it hard for a player like me who plays 2-8 hours a day, to get into and stay in a decent alliance. This kills the complaint of "veteran players" saying they would be punished by a tier system because 2-3* transitioners would have the same chance at top rewards. It would also create early competition in PvP as well as balanced late competition as only 3-4* players would remain in the tournament. I think most of the current 3-4* rosters are at that level due to when they started, at early inception, so you had much easier transitions.

As for PvE, my only complaint there is the low number of them and the all but useless rewards. These are fair across the board as all you need to do is grind it out, doesn't matter what your competitions roster looks like or you're not constantly losing points while playing or not. Some will say this isn't fair to those who don't have time to spend grinding it out. No current format, whether it be PvP or PvE, allows the casual player to be competitive.

Just my opinion..........
  • It has been suggested before. Make defense reduce points by 0 all the time.
    This would do away with shields, which I would guess mean less HP spent on them. However would greatly even the field since you aren't counting on the AI for defense.
    Then your score is the amount of time and work you are willing to put into PvP, not your luck or out of game communication ability.