Last turn luck

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Picture this -- you've just won a match.

Before the game goes away to announce prizes, you notice there's a 5-match right there!

To me, it feels like 50% of my matches end with a 5-match staring at me that I can't take, 'cause the match is over. That was one of the reasons I liked Survival mode, I think.

Is anyone else frequently lucky when it's too late to be helpful?

Comments

• Deadpool369
    Deadpool369 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    It seems to happen more often like that than during matches for me
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Over the 4 months or so that I've been playing the game, I've had a fair share of cascades at the end of matches once everyone is already downed...when the little match-3 I did originally was enough to win it anyway...icon_e_wink.gif
  • Carnage_78 wrote:
    Over the 4 months or so that I've been playing the game, I've had a fair share of cascades at the end of matches once everyone is already downed...when the little match-3 I did originally was enough to win it anyway...icon_e_wink.gif

^ This.
    I've seen some truly devastating cascades after I've killed the last enemy. I mean ones that I'm waiting for them to finish so I can start the next match...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I regularly see massive cascades happen at the end of the match, when the power that caused it has downed the final team member. The game sits there and lets the cascades play themselves out as normal before it exits the match.

What's slightly more annoying is after you lose, if the AI has "queued up" a bunch of powers it'll go right ahead and empty out its entire arsenal onto your team's still-warm corpses. Like cascades, the game will just sit there until they're done. I'm fully aware that it's merely a quirk in the AI's programming, but it just feels... spiteful.

And while we're on the topic of imagined spite - how about situations where even though it's completely apparent that the AI will lose in one or two turns and it has no way of preventing it, it will still use basic damage dealing abilities like Call the Storm if it's got the AP. So it seems like the AI is deliberately trying to inconvenience you in future matches, by costing you time or health packs that you might not have otherwise had to spend.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What I hate is when I will go through an entire match, but never get enough Ap of the color I need. Then, with my last match 3 or 4, several of that color fall. After I spent so long trying to get it. It seems like the game is mocking me. "Oh, that's right. You needed some green tiles, didn't you? Well, here. You can have these. Sorry it took me so long to get them out to you, but you got them now at least."

Or, if I need green, there will be no green matches. So I make a red match and several green fall and the Ai takes them. That one irritates me. Again, like the Ai is mocking me. icon_lol.gif
    CNash wrote:

And while we're on the topic of imagined spite - how about situations where even though it's completely apparent that the AI will lose in one or two turns and it has no way of preventing it, it will still use basic damage dealing abilities like Call the Storm if it's got the AP. So it seems like the AI is deliberately trying to inconvenience you in future matches, by costing you time or health packs that you might not have otherwise had to spend.

Or how about when facing a level 300+ Juggernaut. He has 6 red Ap to use Headbutt ability, but waits until your most powerful character is out front. No matter how many times I try to get him to use it on Thor, or Hulk, Juggy always holds that Ap until Xforce is in front. Then takes him out with one hit. I swear, he does it on purpose.
  • What I hate is when I will go through an entire match, but never get enough Ap of the color I need. Then, with my last match 3 or 4, several of that color fall. After I spent so long trying to get it. It seems like the game is mocking me. "Oh, that's right. You needed some green tiles, didn't you? Well, here. You can have these. Sorry it took me so long to get them out to you, but you got them now at least."

Or, if I need green, there will be no green matches. So I make a red match and several green fall and the Ai takes them. That one irritates me. Again, like the Ai is mocking me. icon_lol.gif
    CNash wrote:

Or how about when facing a level 300+ Juggernaut. He has 6 red Ap to use Headbutt ability, but waits until your most powerful character is out front. No matter how many times I try to get him to use it on Thor, or Hulk, Juggy always holds that Ap until Xforce is in front. Then takes him out with one hit. I swear, he does it on purpose.

I just put my most vulnerable guy in front first, and then that person gets Headbutt anyway but at least there's no guessing game there.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is first turn luck instead of last turn, but there were so many times facing Loki in the Simulator when I would be presented with a match-5 or match-4 to start the game. Against anyone else? Rare occurrence. Against Loki? More often than not. I could practically hear Loki mocking me and daring me to take that match.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    romak3 wrote:
    Carnage_78 wrote:

^ This.
    I've seen some truly devastating cascades after I've killed the last enemy. I mean ones that I'm waiting for them to finish so I can start the next match...

Always seems to happen when shield hopping...
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My favorite is when the enemy dies because of Hulk's anger, and after the defeat the anger tiles keep going off still, each one -75, or much more if you have strike tiles against you on the board. THEY'RE ALREADY DEAD, STOP KILLING MY TEAM IN YOUR DEATH THROES.
  • EstherC
    EstherC Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    the same can be said of world rupture..self-:pwn
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    While watching all these extra post-match cascades, I just comfort myself with imagining all my attackers that are finishing up while I'm unshielded for more precious seconds...
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My favorite is when the enemy dies because of Hulk's anger, and after the defeat the anger tiles keep going off still, each one -75, or much more if you have strike tiles against you on the board. THEY'RE ALREADY DEAD, STOP KILLING MY TEAM IN YOUR DEATH THROES.

You need to understand the mechanics. Picture this - you KO Hulk while his in motion and his body falls on you. Suddenly all your bones are broken and that needs to have an impact on your health icon_e_wink.gif

But I am not sure this is likely to happen because once Hulk is downed, the countdown tiles disappear, if I remember well
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    h4n1s wrote:

You need to understand the mechanics. Picture this - you KO Hulk while his in motion and his body falls on you. Suddenly all your bones are broken and that needs to have an impact on your health icon_e_wink.gif

But I am not sure this is likely to happen because once Hulk is downed, the countdown tiles disappear, if I remember well

Haha...icon_e_smile.gif

But no, the hulk was mine. He hits your own team at 5 black for 75 pts each countdown tile that exists. So I'd already won the game but still kept getting hit.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    h4n1s wrote:

Haha...icon_e_smile.gif

But no, the hulk was mine. He hits your own team at 5 black for 75 pts each countdown tile that exists. So I'd already won the game but still kept getting hit.

got it, than you're right
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Have encountered on numerous occasions the Last Turn Luck on AI's side. Right after I stored up enough AP to fire the finishing move, or AI is down to the last match3 damage to finish him, they often pull off their trademark miracle cascades with their final move, or fire off stored moves that lead to said miracle cascades(Codlike Power anyone?). Many a BerserkerRage has ended badly because of this. End result is usually still a win, but AI will take one or two guys down with him. Has happened way too many times for serious doubt if it's pure coincidental.
  • h4n1s wrote:

Haha...icon_e_smile.gif

Well, you could picture that as HULK ANGRY that keeps hitting the foe even when he's down.

AND. STAY. DEAD!!!
  • or fire off stored moves that lead to said miracle cascades(Codlike Power anyone?)

I always found the AIs use of Codlike power a little fishy.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2015
    Options
    evil panda wrote:
    While watching all these extra post-match cascades, I just comfort myself with imagining all my attackers that are finishing up while I'm unshielded for more precious seconds...

Hahahahahahaha Absolutely right!