The order of powers

Options
GrumpySmurf1002
GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I noticed something today as I watched the cascade of powers (5 in total!) from the AI kill me.

When the AI is running through its powers, it goes in the order of the colors - yellow, red, blue, green, purple, black, TU. One and done on each.

That's why it has no problem doing Thunderstrike into Call of the Storm, but won't Surgical immediately into XForce, and won't repeatedly cast powers if it regenerates the AP.

Just thought I'd share in case it wasn't common knowledge. Not that anything can really be gained from such knowledge, but still worth putting it out there.

Comments

• avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I noticed something today as I watched the cascade of powers (5 in total!) from the AI kill me.

When the AI is running through its powers, it goes in the order of the colors - yellow, red, blue, green, purple, black, TU. One and done on each.

That's why it has no problem doing Thunderstrike into Call of the Storm, but won't Surgical immediately into XForce, and won't repeatedly cast powers if it regenerates the AP.

Just thought I'd share in case it wasn't common knowledge. Not that anything can really be gained from such knowledge, but still worth putting it out there.

Pics or it didn't happen! icon_lol.gif

But seriously, really? I never noticed/thought to observe.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is it just me, or do some AIs wait for a specific character to show up to take a hit?
    Several times I've tried to get Hulk or Patch to tank a hit for a move I know is coming, but they won't fire it. Then as soon as, say, GSBW steps up because she was the only move available, out come the abilities.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is it just me, or do some AIs wait for a specific character to show up to take a hit?
    Several times I've tried to get Hulk or Patch to tank a hit for a move I know is coming, but they won't fire it. Then as soon as, say, GSBW steps up because she was the only move available, out come the abilities.

That's definitely happened to me before, but I'm not sure if it was deliberate, or maybe the ai was saving for a different move, but then on that turn decided to use a cheaper ability.
  • The AI uses lower cost moves at random. You just tend to remember when they randomly chose the right target. I've had the wrong guy in front for several turns in a row due to board state that can't take a hit and the AI skipped them until X Force was finally able to go to front to take the hit. But that's not really all that interesting while had the opposite happened it will definitely sting.
  • I think red comes before yellow, since I've definitely felt the pain of Mjolnir into Thunder Strike, into Call of the Storm.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    I think red comes before yellow, since I've definitely felt the pain of Mjolnir into Thunder Strike, into Call of the Storm.

Well in that case, the AI most likely had enough red to fire Mjolnir but not enough yellow for Thunder Strike until it used Mjolnir, caused a yellow match or two and then re-evaluated its ability to use powers based on its new AP totals. GrumpySmurf's theory here is that if the AI has enough red and yellow to do both, it'll use Thunder Strike before it uses Mjolnir's Might.
  • The AI definitely evaluates its abilities in a certain color order and it never doubles back on them even if it later had enough AP to use them. It was very apparent back in the 2 AP Thunderclap days where it was trivial to pick up enough green or red but the AI will always stop on one move if it's the one that comes later on the color priority. It usually matters little because they'll just use it the next turn.
  • Theywill only use a move o ce. I noticed it against marvel. Her reds cost 7 to use she had 30. Could of down my whole team but only fired once. And the ai will select its main character power first.
    So if u got 2* wolvie in middle rags left and thor right in ur line up. It will wait till there is enough reds to use wolvie, unless he is down or stunned