NPC Most Powerful Colors?

Options
Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
When using abilities like X-Force's black it's important to know characters' most power color (mpc from now on) but it's hard to figure out on NPC goons since they've got the same power for all colors. I was wondering if each NPC's mpc is always the same no matter the battle (ex. Is a Hammer Grunt always, say, yellow) or does it sometimes change? And if there are several characters with the same power level but different mpc, which has precedence?
If there is a list anywhere of goon mpcs that someone could point me too that'd be great as well. I searched but couldn't find one.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Comments

• For goons their strongest color is just the ability that occupies the top position, so for example Don's strongest color is yellow because Backroom Deal (yellow) is on the top. Of course the level still takes precedence and it's easy to miss that there's a goon that's one level higher than the rest. If the levels are tied they follow the same tiebreaker rule as players.
  • This is incredibly useful. Definitely worthy of being noted on any FAQs or guide if it hasn't already.

I find this so useful that I came out of forum-lurking and created an account just to thank those involved.
  • spawn2012
    Options
    It would be great if it accually worked like this.
    I recently played with xforce against natasha, venom and npc lieutenant. None of them have green color as strongest neither they have it as their power. But when i killed venom and russia, then used surgical strike AND it took out GREEN tiles! ****?
    Am I missing something?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Venom's strongest colour IS green. I know it is easy to miss when you only look at the powers and not at tile strengths themselves (click on a character to see tile strengths). He's not the only one to be like that.
    Other discrepancies for primary colour and primary skill: Deadpool - purple, Ragnarok - red, Doom - blue, Loki - purple, GSBW - purple, classic Magneto - blue, Daken - black, modern Hawkeye - purple.
  • spawn2012
    Options
    damn... missed that. thanks thou icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Venom's strongest colour IS green. I know it is easy to miss when you only look at the powers and not at tile strengths themselves (click on a character to see tile strengths). He's not the only one to be like that.
    Other discrepancies for primary colour and primary skill: Deadpool - purple, Ragnarok - red, Doom - blue, Loki - purple, GSBW - purple, classic Magneto - blue, Daken - black, modern Hawkeye - purple.

Character Mismatch list
    Tile Dam .. Ability colors
    bluetile.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.png -- bluetile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.png - Beast (Modern)
    purpletile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.png -- greentile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.png - Black Widow (Grey Suit)
    redtile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png -- redtile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.png - Captain Marvel (Modern)
    blacktile.pngpurpletile.pngbluetile.png -- purpletile.pngblacktile.pngbluetile.png - Daken (both versions)
    purpletile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.png -- redtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png - Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool)
    bluetile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.png -- blacktile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png - Doctor Doom (Classic)
    purpletile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.png -- bluetile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.png - Hawkeye (Modern)
    redtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png -- redtile.pngbluetile.pngyellowtile.png - Iron Man
    purpletile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.png -- blacktile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png - Loki (Dark Reign)
    bluetile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.png -- yellowtile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.png - Magneto (Classic)
    bluetile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.png -- bluetile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.png - She-Hulk (modern)
    yellowtile.pngpurpletile.pngbluetile.png -- yellowtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png - Spider-Man (Classic)
    greentile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.png -- blacktile.pngpurpletile.pngnone.png - Venom (Dark Avengers)
  • About 75% of the characters in the game follow the 'top ability = highest color match' rule.

All goons follow this rule 100% since otherwise it'd be impossible to tell what their strongest color is (all their matches are identical strength).

One thing I noticed is that if a 2* and 1* have the same level, while they appear to have the same match strength on their strongest color, the 1* is always higher. For example if you got Venom (green) and Daken (black) at the same level, you'll always get green. I think the 1* match strength must be something like 0.5 higher at all levels, because sometimes you can see it is indeed higher by 1 even when same level.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem I've had, in the previous PvE in particular, is when all three characters have the same value as their highest number, and all three colors are different, you have no way of knowing what you're going to get. Even multiple passes of the same node don't give the same result. Seems counter to how it's supposed to work, unless as scaling changes, it alters their order when the hidden decimal places are considered.

But really, how hard would it be just to highlight the color somewhere? It's not as if the game doesn't know what color is going to trigger.
  • simonsez wrote:
    The problem I've had, in the previous PvE in particular, is when all three characters have the same value as their highest number, and all three colors are different, you have no way of knowing what you're going to get. Even multiple passes of the same node don't give the same result. Seems counter to how it's supposed to work, unless as scaling changes, it alters their order when the hidden decimal places are considered.

But really, how hard would it be just to highlight the color somewhere? It's not as if the game doesn't know what color is going to trigger.

That's because the level of the enemy randomly changes by 1 with even the smallest change in scaling. For example you could start a node at 150 150 150, and then later it becomes 151 151 152, and later still it becomes 154 155 155. This is well within the change of scaling from beating just that node and these 3 passes would yield 3 different 'highest match' color and you're almost certainly not going to notice the difference on the levels at a quick glance. But yeah it'd really help if the ability reads like "Destroys their strongest color (blue), doing blah blah".
  • simonsez
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    That's because the level of the enemy randomly changes by 1 with even the smallest change in scaling. For example you could start a node at 150 150 150, and then later it becomes 151 151 152, and later still it becomes 154 155 155
    I'm looking each time and always seeing 3-way ties. It would be nice if they staggered a bit like this to cut down the uncertainty a little, but no such luck...
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    That's because the level of the enemy randomly changes by 1 with even the smallest change in scaling. For example you could start a node at 150 150 150, and then later it becomes 151 151 152, and later still it becomes 154 155 155
    I'm looking each time and always seeing 3-way ties. It would be nice if they staggered a bit like this to cut down the uncertainty a little, but no such luck...

Well, I noticed that 1*s have a higher match than a 2* of the same level even if they look the same, but you still shouldn't get arbitary results. I know I get green (Venom, Jugg) or purple (Yelena) a lot of time unexpected presumably due to this reason, but it's not like I get purple and then next time I get red instead if the levels haven't changed.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Well, I noticed that 1*s have a higher match than a 2* of the same level even if they look the same, but you still shouldn't get arbitary results.
    I noticed it on that last essential with Groot. First time through I was getting yellow, so next time I brought Hood, and I didn't get yellow. So much for planning ahead...
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Well, I noticed that 1*s have a higher match than a 2* of the same level even if they look the same, but you still shouldn't get arbitary results.
    I noticed it on that last essential with Groot. First time through I was getting yellow, so next time I brought Hood, and I didn't get yellow. So much for planning ahead...

You mean the Thor + R&G + Mag node? I swear that node's highest match changes each time you played it, though after checking the enemy levels the color you get is indeed correct. That node's level seems to just change every time by 1 to put a different person as highest match.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    You mean the Thor + R&G + Mag node? I swear that node's highest match changes each time you played it, though after checking the enemy levels the color you get is indeed correct. That node's level seems to just change every time by 1 to put a different person as highest match.
    Yep, that sounds like the one, but I could swear I was seeing a 3-way time whenever I looked