2»

Comments

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rednailz wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    kareal wrote:
    The joke about being in a top 100 alliance is there are exactly 2000 players in the top 100 alliances. As a member of an alliance that rarely breaks top 1000 in any event the idea of being top 100 is farfetched, I may personally get top 25 in most PvP events thanks to having 3 full covered characters(Patch, Punisher, Spidey) but the only character I have decently covered after those 3 is Hulk.

Like I said - its a catch 22 - you need a powerful roster and/or guild to get covers.

I also am confused what rightminded top 100 guild would take in a transition(or maybe a 1* player) in order to help them get 3* covers by leeching off their alliance. What benefit does that guild get? The only thing I can think of is the newer player paying them to get in or something.

I'm in a top 100 allaince and we have a few transition players. Alliance helps them along with advice and covers. Transition players still meet allaince score requirements. I wouldn't see any top 100 alliance taking on a 1 * transition player, nor should they. Join an appropriate alliamce for that. Seems to me people in the game expect everything out of the gates now. Suffer like the rest of us and build a 2* trio for your base. Alliances don't exist to hand over free covers for you.

To the OP rednailz is a perfect example of how you overcome some of the pain of transition. I am one of his commanders in our Alliance and he is the kind of player we regularly take in. It is our belief that we can consistently perform as top 100 Alliance by having more than a few transitioning players on the team. We ask them to do the best they can in PvP and as long as the effort is consistent they are good to go. There are others on the team that can make up the few points they might fall short in a given PvP. The result for them is a consistent stream of 3* covers from finishing t100. With three PvP's per week that generally means 12 covers per month. As long as they can afford cover slots their roster improves. This has the added effect of making the overall team stronger. Rednailz has become one of those players who is now capable of scoring much higher now than when he first joined. That makes us stronger it allows for us to take in another transition player when we have an opening.
    This success has been repeated over and over for us and I am proud to be part of an Alliance which does this....and we are not the only one who does this. You get yourself to a well levelled 2* roster and if you keep looking you can find one of those opportunities. There is a lot of turnover in the t100 Alliances just keep playing and take the opportunity when it comes along.
  • Switchman wrote:

You'll just have to drop $100 bucks and buy a 42 pack

Funnily enough, I did do that. I really wanted Blade bad so I bought a Blade 40-pack when he was initially released. Didn't get a single blade, but my Triple Daken is 114 now.
    mike h wrote:
    I am in the same position as you. I hit day 149 today. You have a lot of great points.

But wow. To see where you are compared to me I've had some **** luck with the draws. I have 23 3* characters and my highest leveled ones are 76 Hulk and 76 Colossus. I seem to get the 3* covers but always different characters, never multiple covers or colors. Most of mine are stuck at lvs 50-40. I still hit that wall in PvP that I can't move past, don't even come close to the 3* covers. I do fairly well in the events, but just don't seem to get the lucky drops.

I did botch up the 1*-2* transition. Once I found this forum I've taken the advice and making much better progress now.

Really, it's all relative. I may have some strong 3* characters that are leveled, but I still can't "progress" in PVP. I've soft-capped alot of my characters at 114 because it doesn't make sense to make PVE harder for no benefit. Really, I'm still a 2* player. And I can relate to having lots of characters you can't level....I just got my 12 She-Hulk cover icon_e_sad.gif
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

This game is fun but frustrating at times, and I accept that it's a Free to Play Phone Game - this isn't my one and only game that I take 2302% seriously. I play for fun. I'm a transition player who's only 3* can be leveled to 166 is 3*Steve. I would like to discuss/ask D3 for certain things:

-Please stop releasing 3* characters and 4* characters unless you're going to help me cover them. Right now I only have 1 3*Character in 174 days of playing that I can max. Even if I did level Steve, I'd only put myself at a disadvantage in PVE and need to wait for 2 more characters to be 166 capable. This means I've been stuck behind the 166 wall for MONTHS. I don't know your overall plan for keeping players engaged and keeping their growth going, but I've only been able to grow my roster horizontally(bigger) as opposed to vertically(level). Maybe you can have a 'plan' to help us fully cover a character or at least get them up to snuff?

Mostly transitioned player myself here (I have three 3* at 166s, and two more fully covered). It certainly seems like the current model is for 2* to 3* transition players to leverage PvE events to obtain 3* covers, then transition onto PvP, where, as another poster has pointed out, the flood gates really start to open, and you end up with far more 3* covers than ISO to level them properly. I joined around the time that Beast was released, and have spent a reasonable amount of money on the game (mostly on roster slots and boosts, an occasional cover to complete a character, and some 10 packs, before I knew better).

Personally, I think the game's biggest flaw is that there's no way for a casual player who's F2P to move into 3* territory without a very significant amount of time elapsing (I noticed a few people saying that they're nearly a year into the game, and still lack a 166 3*). In order to be successful at PvE, you need to commit a significant amount of time to the game. In my case, that was about a 6 week period in which I was practically living and breathing MPQ, in order to hit my 2 1/2 hour node refreshes. Once you've transitioned, you can ease back on your time commitment to this game, since you can control when you play a lot more effectively in PvP.

The only other way to accumulate 3* covers via PvE is to enter late, and hit a mostly empty bracket. I'm not sure that either an inordinate time commitment, or metagaming a bracket is an ideal way to bring more casual players into the game (as, let's face it, the majority of MPQ's userbase don't browse these forums). The commander of my little alliance of friends (who is F2P), who started playing months before the rest of us, is firmly stuck in 2* land, due to the same reasons that Raisin's cited, a paucity of 3* covers, with a diverse distribution due to the flood of new characters.

In short, I guess I think what this game really needs is a game mode that's more casual. Competitive PvE is not really a viable solution for the casual, pick up and play, time-poor player. Something like a season long Gauntlet, for instance, with a reasonable distribution of 3* covers along the way.

Also, Happy New Year!
  • morph3us wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

This game is fun but frustrating at times, and I accept that it's a Free to Play Phone Game - this isn't my one and only game that I take 2302% seriously. I play for fun. I'm a transition player who's only 3* can be leveled to 166 is 3*Steve. I would like to discuss/ask D3 for certain things:

-Please stop releasing 3* characters and 4* characters unless you're going to help me cover them. Right now I only have 1 3*Character in 174 days of playing that I can max. Even if I did level Steve, I'd only put myself at a disadvantage in PVE and need to wait for 2 more characters to be 166 capable. This means I've been stuck behind the 166 wall for MONTHS. I don't know your overall plan for keeping players engaged and keeping their growth going, but I've only been able to grow my roster horizontally(bigger) as opposed to vertically(level). Maybe you can have a 'plan' to help us fully cover a character or at least get them up to snuff?

Mostly transitioned player myself here (I have three 3* at 166s, and two more fully covered). It certainly seems like the current model is for 2* to 3* transition players to leverage PvE events to obtain 3* covers, then transition onto PvP, where, as another poster has pointed out, the flood gates really start to open, and you end up with far more 3* covers than ISO to level them properly. I joined around the time that Beast was released, and have spent a reasonable amount of money on the game (mostly on roster slots and boosts, an occasional cover to complete a character, and some 10 packs, before I knew better).

Personally, I think the game's biggest flaw is that there's no way for a casual player who's F2P to move into 3* territory without a very significant amount of time elapsing (I noticed a few people saying that they're nearly a year into the game, and still lack a 166 3*). In order to be successful at PvE, you need to commit a significant amount of time to the game. In my case, that was about a 6 week period in which I was practically living and breathing MPQ, in order to hit my 2 1/2 hour node refreshes. Once you've transitioned, you can ease back on your time commitment to this game, since you can control when you play a lot more effectively in PvP.

The only other way to accumulate 3* covers via PvE is to enter late, and hit a mostly empty bracket. I'm not sure that either an inordinate time commitment, or metagaming a bracket is an ideal way to bring more casual players into the game (as, let's face it, the majority of MPQ's userbase don't browse these forums). The commander of my little alliance of friends (who is F2P), who started playing months before the rest of us, is firmly stuck in 2* land, due to the same reasons that Raisin's cited, a paucity of 3* covers, with a diverse distribution due to the flood of new characters.

In short, I guess I think what this game really needs is a game mode that's more casual. Competitive PvE is not really a viable solution for the casual, pick up and play, time-poor player. Something like a season long Gauntlet, for instance, with a reasonable distribution of 3* covers along the way.

Also, Happy New Year!

I agree the casual player can't dip his toes in fully. But I also think this is a detriment to others - games are awesome when they let you progress in different ways, but the only way to progress in PVP is to get past the 166 wall. I really would just like a taste of being something more than top 100 in PVP and not occasionally being kicked out of top 100 for hitting the 166 wall early.

That's why I think there needs to be a "plan" to help us cover characters. Release enough covers for 3*Steve over Season X and XI to max him out, tell the players about it.

Make PVEs with a final "node" that award covers.

Even something small like letting players choose which cover they get would majorly help.

Happy New Year icon_e_smile.gif
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

I agree the casual player can't dip his toes in fully. But I also think this is a detriment to others - games are awesome when they let you progress in different ways, but the only way to progress in PVP is to get past the 166 wall. I really would just like a taste of being something more than top 100 in PVP and not occasionally being kicked out of top 100 for hitting the 166 wall early.

That's why I think there needs to be a "plan" to help us cover characters. Release enough covers for 3*Steve over Season X and XI to max him out, tell the players about it.

Make PVEs with a final "node" that award covers.

Even something small like letting players choose which cover they get would majorly help.

Happy New Year icon_e_smile.gif

I guess that gets to the heart of the matter, though. There are currently three ways to progress in this game (at a reasonable rate):
    (1) Place well in PvE - requires a significant time commitment, or to metagame the brackets
    (2) Place well in PvP - requires a good roster to get past the 166 wall, which is self-defeating if you don't have the 3*s to do this
    (3) Pay to accelerate your progress - either through cover packs, buying out covers, and paying for shields (which has become more difficult now).

They need other ways to progress, as you say.