Small Victories

Options
DanBenZvi
DanBenZvi Posts: 82 Match Maker
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Inspired by the recent thread celebrating The1WhoKnocks of The X-Men reaching a score of 3000 in a PvP event (to which I respond congratulations, well done, I'm not reaching *that* point anytime in the near ever)...

What I'm looking to do here (and it is, admittedly, to combat a certain amount of frustration with Enemy Of The State in particular and this game in general) is to celebrate small victories. Those little things that would probably not be a terribly big deal to any else but managed to brighten your day if even for a little bit. Getting the specific cover just when you needed it, reaching a personal best threshold in PvP, achieving a particular goal in PvE...

For example: I'm relatively new to the game (just over a month now) and my roster isn't terribly deep (only 16 slots). Combine that with the fact that most of my roster isn't fully covered and I'm just not going to get all that far. I know that and accept that and have managed to do what I consider okay in spite of it.

And today, on the Hand Fortress node of Enemy Of The State, I managed to reach a point I wasn't certain I'd be able to reach. The event has been harder than usual for me as, due to the lack of roster depth, I haven't been able to progress as well as I would have liked. Indeed, at least two levels (Avengers Tower and Hand Fortress) I will have to leave unfinished because I have not been able to get past survival nodes. And yet, despite all that...today, I passed the final progression award threshold and got my Mohawk Storm cover.

Now, I know that, to most of you, this warrants a cry of "big deal". I know, with a fair degree of certainty, that the guy leading my bracket (with 202,185 total points) probably wasn't all that worried about getting his Mohawk Storm cover. But for someone with 16 roster slots to the bracket leader's 48 and 86,400 total points to the bracket leader's 202,185...I won't lie, I felt a slight degree of pride in winning that final progression award.

So, how about it? What are the little things in this game that made *you* smile when you achieved them?

Comments

• Whub Whubz
    Options
    My first big personal achievement was getting a top 10 finish, was during a heroic juggernaut event and I brought out the secret weaponn.. the powered up Iron Man and Storm 1 star. Won a 3 cover colossus which i used a ton to transition into 2 star land, found 1 more cover for him so far and he doesnt hit the field at all anymore icon_e_sad.gif. Semi off topic but I wish they ran more reruns so we can power up our 3 stars more in PvE, I can't seem to get a cover out of pvp icon_razz.gif.
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Each time I open new roster spots it is a small victory. I only have eighteen slots, but when the game throws covers at me constantly without giving me anything to do with them save selling them for Iso-8 I appreciate any room I can make. When I save enough hero points to open more slots, a jubilant, mud-eating grin grows on my face, like I outsmarted the game. Wonder why that is...

Also, I'm 80 days in, and only have two more slots than you. Did you buy spideycoin.png for slots, or were you earning a steady supply of Points?
  • DanBenZvi
    DanBenZvi Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    Also, I'm 80 days in, and only have two more slots than you. Did you buy spideycoin.png for slots, or were you earning a steady supply of Points?

No money spent on the game so far (not out of any great principle or anything, just cause money's too tight to mention). It's basically been scraping together HP whenever I could.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I started Dance of Death too late and couldn't grind fast enough to break into the top 100. But the token I got at 300 gave me my first Elektra cover, so now I can do both Essential nodes in the PVE, increasing my chance of hitting the top 10!
  • cg2912
    cg2912 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Mine was finally getting all season progression rewards...was here for all the seasons, but I wasn't able to do it until season 7. Before that, I was just happy getting to the 10 pack.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The biggest one for me was just after I started playing and got my very first gold token. icon_e_biggrin.gif A second one was a little over 4 months ago. I had every cover of every character, except Psylocke's blue. But on Aug 20th, 2014, I finally got her. icon_e_biggrin.gif Giving me every cover available. Another is when I get a character cover maxed just the way I want it. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    . My next one will be when I finally level max some of my 3*. icon_e_biggrin.gif I have a 153 Steve Rogers, and a few others that are within 6 to 15 levels away from maxed. I would like to get several up to lvl 160, then max them all to lvl 166 together. Starting with Steve Rogers. He was my very first gold token that I got in the game, so he must be the first 3* to get level maxed to lvl 166. (don't ask, it's an OCD thing, everything has to be done in the proper order). When that happens, when I can finally look at my roster and see a 166 Steve Rogers leading the charge, well that's when I'll have a great big ol' smile. icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

(actually thinking of leaving all 3*'s at lvl 165, just so Steve can be first in line. 1 level won't make a difference in game play, but it will give Cap a way to stand apart from the other characters.) again, it's an OCD thing icon_lol.gif
  • I'm always happy when I've got all my 3*s (and ideally 4*s) over 100th level. Got enough covers to get Gamora to 104 (and levelled her) so I'm there again, temporarily, until Luke Cage gets released at least.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    An achievement that I take some small pride in was the point when my HP income finally caught up with the roster slots, and I don't have to sell expiring 3* cards anymore. Until then, I was forced to part with a total of 5 (1x spiderman purple, 1x mohawk green, 1x ragnarok red, 2x ragnarok green). I remember every one of them, because it hurt to have to sell them, even if they were less than top end guys. It took way too much grinding in PVE for HP, without being in 100alliance or spending real money, but it is satisfying to know I don't have to sell anyone that I want to keep anymore, for now at least.

And no, I did NOT enjoy having to choose which guys to drop. It was NOT fun by any definition.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Easy, when I joined a Top 100 alliance, get the 1º 166 and beat The Gauntlet.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    I only just cracked 650 again since the days of True-healing in the last event. It was the first time I really started going after 3* teams, and after hitting 3 of them for just over 27 each, I shielded for placement (just to help the alliance, since personal rewards meant nil). It was a personal goal I achieved, and one I'll try to keep going forward.

I also just slam dunked Enemy of the State, and doing some of those marathon nodes with vicious villains popping out at the end, but only taking less than 15 damage across the whole team the whole match... and being able to do it consistently, felt pretty darn good. Pretty sure having the extra healthpacks is the only thing that let me hit that 650 pvp goal.

Beating the gauntlet the first time during its last run. My roster finally progressed to the point where I wasn't relying on one good 2* team to beat anything scaled up.

Also, finally getting into a competitive pve alliance feels really good. Thanks to the commander of kick azz for taking a chance on me.
  • Just returned to MPQ after six months absence. Was shielded in 1st in the Elektra PvP with 2 hours to go. Checked it with ~5m to go and somebody had jumped in front of me by 47 pts. Managed to find a 50 point match on my first skip, but it was a maxed Xforce/LadyThor, who I hadn't even seen yet. Welp, YOLO. My maxed Patch and underleveled 5/3/4 CMags took them out barely thanks to a favorable green board, with my Elektra killing their Elektra at the end. I placed first (with Time Left showing as ~), and the extra 50 points bumped my alliance from #102 to #100. icon_e_smile.gif

(Well, #100 for my shard ending, I guess? Still working out this time thing. Got Top100 rewards this morning so it worked out.)
  • Mine is more a poetic justice victory: my first gold cover was a red Daredevil way back in February, and the game consistently gave me only DD for a long time. As a FTP player, I level maxed him having never read all of the discussions about how awful he was until much later, and proceeded to build my 3* team around him. I received some **** for this from my alliance, but after the buff he's kicking tail harder than ever. Using DD in pvp used to mean guaranteed retaliation losses, but in the recent Blind Justice pvp I was only retaliated against once, and did not lose. Victory icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Today was the day of two small victories for me:
    top10 in PvE (first time ever!)
    and
    top1 in Lightning Round (also the first time!)

The PvE netted me 3 Patch covers, 1 Storm ***, 1 Daredevil, 1 Mystique, 1 Ms Marvel ***, 750 gold and some amount of ISO.

Pretty happy!
  • Having cleared all 180 Gauntlet levels, including the last 60 without MegaWhales. Goal for the next 60 is no MegaWhales and no Boosts.

Finishing first in any event - Won a lightning round yesterday for my first career MPQ 1st place. Followed it up by winning the lightning round 2 hours ago. Now I'm just getting greedy. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Roswulf
    Options
    I'm right at the point where I finish the 2* leveling game and start on the long, slow, perhaps neverending grind towards a usable 3*. It's a pretty bleak scene to survey- realistically I've got months ahead of me without adding another usable hero to my team, slowly gathering third and fourth covers for B-listers.

And then yesterday I opened a Standard Token and got a Purple Falcon. It's not much, but it was my sixth cover for the hero and it tied him with LCap for my most covered 3*. And then I glanced at the PvP leaderboard this evening, where I normally just grab the 300 or 400 progression without hope of getting a 3* cover and noticed that I was surprisingly close to Top 100. So I pressed hard, always keeping out the best defensive team I could and hovering right at the 100 rank for the last couple hours. I finished in the mid 90s, and the Blue Falcon cover is mine.

Now Redwing can eat Countdown tiles- he's almost useful in PvE under certain rare conditions! But most importantly, I now have a 3* who is more than half covered. The transition doesn't seem quite as scary as it did 24 hours ago.