Ridiculous Cascades: Come at me, bros

Options
Pylgrim
Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
We all know about the jaw-dropping, super cheating cascades that the AI can get. 30 AP... even 40+ AP more gained in a turn! Well, next time it happens to you, you remember this: it could have been much, much worse.

HSe1DKc.png

That's right, 61 AP. And yeah, it was the AI's first turn.

Comments

• Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ouch. Juuust ouch. icon_eek.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Retreat! Retreat!
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Goodnight, sweetheart, well it's time to go...
  • That's pretty bad. I had a bad enemy cascade a day or two ago that included, after a match-4 cleared a row, an entire row of 8 purple tiles dropping down into the top row. Never saw that before, might never see that again. Am I doing the stats correctly? 1/7 chance for any tile, so 7/(7^8) or 1 in 823,543 of an all-anything row dropping in. Does that seem correct?
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1/7 chance for any tile, so 7/(7^8) or 1 in 823,543 of an all-anything row dropping in. Does that seem correct?

Yeah, that's what I got.
  • Mikaveus
    Mikaveus Posts: 202
    Options
    Jeebus. Nothing like the realization that the game is over after 1 turn.
  • Look on the bright side... it's just hulk and 2* wolverine... not patch or x force or anything else that can wipe you with that ap immediately. I mean, granted, it's not a ton better, but.... yeah... there's another cascade thread somewhere in these boards that has some ridiculous ones that are just as bad, both for and against the player.

Found the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18453
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    It's awful when it happens to you, don't get me wrong. But it's awsome when you do the right thing to get a cascade, and all your bars are pulsing with filled AP, allowing you to do your moves one or even two times in a row.
  • john1620b
    Options
    Just had a match with a cascade that gave the opponent 70 AP. Also on their first turn. Wish I'd been fast enough for a screenshot, but I was choking in horrmazement. (That's horror/amazement, for those of you that didn't go to school.)
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Enemy got 57 on me earlier today. I've been playing since late October and it's definitely the most I or the AI has ever accrued in one shot on my game.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    Just had a PVE match against Gorgon and some Hand using Daredevil, Daken, and Mohawk Storm. After like two matches going back and forth, I did a match with 3 criticals and a cascade so big I just obliterated Gorgon and 1 hand member. And I only had minimal damage to Storm. So cascades can be good if they work for you.

But yeah, I have to agree that it seems like the AI knows which moves to do to start cascades.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's much harder to verify numbers for player cascades, since it doesn't show numbers for AP lost/gained like it does for the AI, but here's a nice first turn player cascade from this morning... 41 AP, not bad!
    iTKVc70.png

Of course, here's an AI one this afternoon... 58 AP. The rest of this match went poorly, even with all those Loki countdowns on the board.
    KtR3hoG.png
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I seriously think that if they brought back the numerical AP gain display for players, which is still shown for the AI, people would realize they get some truly ludicrous cascades as well. Of course, some of them end the game or come against opponents to easy to need all that AP, so we don't always pay attention to them.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just got a 71 point cascade / critical hit slide.

I made a match-5 that cascaded into several 4's, then made 2 more match-5's.

I technically got even more points than that, as on my last "move", I used magneto's purple from all the ap it generated and set up 2 more match-5's with my blue placements, but the first one ended the whole game, lmao.

Counting what cascaded there and what I was probably going to get from the second match-5 I set up with the power, I was in the neighborhood of 105 ap in a single turn.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not sure which is worse when that happens or when you kill the last opponent who had like 10 HPs and you get a cascade that goes on for 10 minutes with Dakin interrupting and spawning strike tiles throughout. I mean come on the game is over, please let me move on. icon_cry.gif
  • Found this post linked to by the MPQ World Records thread. Here is my submission for worst 1st turn cascade: 90 AP!

tL9MczZl.png
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like that it's your Loki that ate it, and Hulk is on their team. Just makes me think of that Avengers scene...
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like that it's your Loki that ate it, and Hulk is on their team. Just makes me think of that Avengers scene...
    Puny god
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think Stevebob already won the thread, but I'll submit my 68 AP cascade anyway...

Screenshot_2015-01-04-12-26-27.png
  • The problem is the ai cascades come first turn whereas my cascades come when I kill off the last ai foe.

Then its a lovely 30 second dazzling cascade doing damage to nobody but filling all my colors.

It happens so often its just become humorous. I just treat it like a fireworks show for winning some random who cares node.