Is this game for real?

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
This may seem obvious, but I am quite new to this game.
It seems like this may well be the first game I have ever played that does not give you anything when you pay for something. in this, you buy a chance at winning a character. At 6% or lower odds of actually getting it. 6%? Really?
And if you win and get a reward, it gives you nothing of value. Why do people play this?

Please try and convince me to continue...

Comments

• Delete the app and move on. Seriously. well, if you have money to burn try your luck. It will make the game easier.
  • You are buying lottery tickets when you buy tokens. Sometimes you win, more often you don't.
  • Afrocigar
    Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    I've been playing for a little over a year and still enjoy it quite a bit.

I think I'm somewhere in the $50 range for the year, spent $20 for some blade covers during the sale.

You can do well for free if you adjust your expectations. You aren't going to pull anything good consistently. Your best bet is to join an alliance that places in top 100 and earn covers and pump ISO into the covers you like and or compliment a solid team. I'm in my second Alliance and I seem to have lucked upon guys that didn't mind carrying me as I filled out my roster.

I also concentrated on PVE's early on. You can get a good progression reward cover without too much grinding. I think I once hit the nodes 4x a day and got the progression.

They've introduced some decent 2's Ms Marvel and Human Torch and the new Daken that should help.

I'm a sucker for Marvel and loved Puzzle Quest. Happy matching
  • Sometimes I wonder if the guys posting about the odds being bad ever played any other game with the same format. They all work like this. The odds in this game is actually pretty good compared to most games even though a bad idea (buying packs of any kind) is still a bad idea. I know people who spent hundreds of dollars into Hearthstone buying packs, for example, and didn't get any of the best legendaries either, and unlike MPQ there isn't some kind of intermediate step toward getting better cards unless you count Arcane Dusts but I'm pretty sure buying packs to disenchant must be a pretty bad way to go about it. Frankly, this is one of the few games I've even seen that gives you an idea of what kind of odds you face. Most similar games I just get an offer like "Want to spend $50 for a chance of getting something great?" with no indication that 'chance' here means to 1%.
  • Actually a lot of freemium mobile games use the same monetizing method.

Good examples are brave frontier and rage of bahamut. You buy card packs but have about 2-5% chances getting something useful or you need... And mostly for nothing

At least in MPQ you can use Hp to buy covers directly, and give out Hp fairly generously
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do not buy cover packs! Buy roster space and or additional covers for characters you have.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think everyone learns not to buy cover tokens pretty quickly. Right now, I win dozens a week, and get, on average, two usable characters out of them (the last week, I was lucky and got two Elektras, and two Sentrys). But I haven't bought them since the first month of play. Except anniversary week, when there was a higher drop rate for anniversary tokens which were cheaper (and I didn't get anything from them icon_e_sad.gif )

The key to enjoying the game is to accept that you won't have maxed 3*s until six months of play, without paying for things. If you can't enjoy playing at the level you're at for a while, yeah, it's better to quit. This is a game that demands a time investment.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You are supposed to play in order to win characters. If you want to buy your way into a diverse and well levelled roster it will cost you thousands as you'll be basically gambling.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But you're always welcome to keep buying! (because someone has to keep the game running for us F2P's)
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Options
    If you want to pay to win, then you don't want to spend your money on tokens (the one exception was the anniversary event, which was actually worth it). If you're really looking to buy success, you spend your money on HP for more covers for the heroes you have, roster slots, boosts, health packs, shields (for now), and you spend money on ISO to level the characters you have.

As for convincing you to continue to play, I won't do it. I would hope that being able to out and out buy success wouldn't be what makes someone decide whether or not they continue playing a game. I would hope it would be based on whether or not you find the game fun.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Twombley wrote:
    Why do people play this?

Please try and convince me to continue...

1. Because it's a game they enjoy?
    2. Why? If you can't see a personal reason for playing... run. Run far.

If you stick around though, definitely don't buy packs. Spending HP on particular covers for particular characters is a far better investment, if that's how you want to go.
  • The worst part about this game is that it's always changing so you have to continuously adapt to new challenges.

The best part about this game is that it's always changing so you get to continuously adapt to new challenges.
  • Some great advice, thanks folks.
    The playing format is very enjoyable, just not played a game with a lottery style before, and wondeed how some people got such high levels, e.g. X-Force Wolv when it seems like buying one upgrade is pretty pricey, and there's a lot to buy.

Do Not Buy Cover Packs. Got that, loud and clear!
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The only decent time to buy a 10x cover pack is when you are at the 1- to 2-star transitioning level. Most of the cards you get will be 2-star heroes so it's a nice boost to your roster to start getting competitive.

An acceptable time to buy a 10x cover pack is when you really need a particular hero that you don't already have for PvE required nodes. You have about 80-something percent, iirc, to get at least one cover of the featured hero. Having the featured hero will allow you to rank well on that PvE and thus win the rewards that you need, so it does sort of pay back on your investment. But you could get unlucky and not even win a cover of that hero so overall it's still not a great investment.

The worst time to buy cover packs is if you are trying to max out covers for a particular hero. Even when that hero is being featured in the pack, the chance that you will get the covers you want is astronomically low compared to the money you are spending.

Buying individual tokens and 42x packs is always a bad idea.
  • Although 'best' isn't saying much, the best kind of pack to get would be when they have a 4* featured that you want because this at least gives you a remote chance to try to concentrate on building the said 4*. Normally your 4* is going to be distributed randomly between the 5 available ones so even if you were super lucky and pulled 5 of them in 10 tokens (yeah right), you probably won't even have 3 of the same guy. When they can only be one guy, if the miracle does occur then you do have 5 covers of the same guy which is quite good. Of course, I don't think X Force has ever been featured in such a pack, and in general these packs are far and few in between.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder if the guys posting about the odds being bad ever played any other game with the same format. They all work like this. The odds in this game is actually pretty good compared to most games even though a bad idea (buying packs of any kind) is still a bad idea. I know people who spent hundreds of dollars into Hearthstone buying packs, for example, and didn't get any of the best legendaries either, and unlike MPQ there isn't some kind of intermediate step toward getting better cards unless you count Arcane Dusts but I'm pretty sure buying packs to disenchant must be a pretty bad way to go about it. Frankly, this is one of the few games I've even seen that gives you an idea of what kind of odds you face. Most similar games I just get an offer like "Want to spend $50 for a chance of getting something great?" with no indication that 'chance' here means to 1%.
    I wonder how many of these other games you've actuality played? Even ignoring how getting a good tool is only 1/13th of a character in here compared to other games where one you get one you just need to level them up, the odds really Ether bad.

I've done multiple $20 random pulls in PA, and while I rarely actually for what I wanted, I usually got like 3-4 gods (the equivalent of A 3 or 4*), which again were usable stand alone, not needing 12 more of the same roll, whereas you can easily open a 10 pack without a single gold token,much less a usable one