Disallow alliance mates to hit each other

I know this is going to be an unpopular thread but I'm gonna suggest it anyway

Please make it so that alliance mates can't see each other in PVP. I'm aware that top-alliances coordinating shield hops and attacks within the ranks is the norm but for the rest of the alliances who don't do so, it might be annoying at times.

My Alliance-mate Thorzhamer got hit by "S" from the alliance awhile back and dropped out of top spot. Of course the other guy didn't mean to: it was the last few minutes of the PVP and S was rushing to find points.

He didn't stop to check the name and whooped him good, unfortunately. The problem was that Thorz was kicked out of top spot and denied the Blue cover of 4* Thor he was shooting for.

This caused much unhappiness and strife in our litter and we had to re-educate everyone not to hit each other. But I can't really blame them especially when they're rushing to find points in PVP.

I therefore humbly request that D3 remove same-alliance teammates from appearing in PVP.

Peace out!

Mod edit: removed offensive nickname for 4* Thor.

Comments

• FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    I whole-heartedly agree that team hits are super frustrating. When you are on an alliance that doesn't coordinate well you wind up with situations where you are trying to take a quick ladder during a PVP run and the only defensive loss you take is to an alliance-mate just starting his bracket - and he manages to undo 2 wins worth of points. That shouldn't be able to happen... how is that part of the 'fun'?

I also think that trying to put some kind of end to friendly-fire would probably do a lot more to dampen the run away scoring and it wouldn't have required nerfing shields.

I think the only sticking point here is the multi-alliance guilds we have kicking around. How do you stop those teams from just hitting each other across team lines?

The trick is finding a way to do it that doesn't corrupt the match-making algorithm too badly. It might not seem likely, but what happens if they only opponents that are a 'fair fight' for you who are 'worth points' are guys on your own team? This isn't a problem I have had to deal with, but it sounds like exactly the kind of 'success problem' that the top teams might have to deal with.

So we need to come up with a suggestion that stops friendly fire but doesn't force people to either fight down (in the sense of taking a bunch of fights for 10 or fewer points), or maul unsuspecting teams with weaker rosters. Both of these situations are things people here are violently opposed to, so we have to come up with a workable suggestion that avoids those 2 problems; but also addresses guilds.

Not that having a 'workable solution' means they are going to listen, but it is harder to ignore if we can get it across the plausibility gap.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, friendly fire is frustrating, but seriously, how hard is it to know the people in your own alliance? If multi-alliance co-ops can climb to 4,000 without hitting each other accidentally, there's really no excuse for anyone to be attacking someone they didn't mean to attack.
  • FaustianDeal
    I'll have to go back to my alliance line chat and tell those guys they were hitting me with forethought and intent.

those a-holes.. that whole 'heat of the moment', 'fog of war' **** never really sat right anyway.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    I agree, friendly fire is frustrating, but seriously, how hard is it to know the people in your own alliance? If multi-alliance co-ops can climb to 4,000 without hitting each other accidentally, there's really no excuse for anyone to be attacking someone they didn't mean to attack.

Guess it depends how much people in the alliance communicate. I wouldn't hit anyone that chats in my alliance, because I know their names... but I'm sure as hell not bothering to memorise the names of anyone that doesn't participate in discussion. (Not necessarily a comment on my current alliance, just a generic viewpoint.)

I agree with the general sentiment that it'd be nice to know you couldn't accidentally hit a fellow alliance member while rushing for the last minute points, but really... is the time/effort of the devs best spent on this, rather than fixing things that players can't actually control? I wouldn't say so. At least here, if you really want to, you can make a note of all alliance members and be sure to check yourself. This isn't really a 'devs are the only ones that can stop this' sort of problem.
  • simonsez wrote:

Fair enough.

But:

1. Comparing everyone to multi co-op alliances is a little "errrr" since they got that way with their excellent communication in the first place. Yes communication within our alliance is a factor but when we are all wallowing in the same point range (majority of Thunderkittens average 650 per pvp) everybody looks like fair game. I imagine when co-op alliances see each other in the 2000 point range they'd do a double take to make sure there's no friendly fire going on. Since there aren't that many hitting that range in the first place. 1300 points are a dime a dozen nowadays.

2. Humans are born to err. We're not machines and tend to slip up. I myself hit one of my own when I first started. Never happened again.

3. This usually isn't an issue with our more seasoned players but new additions can sometimes hit unknowingly. We do make it clear not to have friendly fire but like I said: newish players might not be too familiar with everyone's name.

Hope this helps. And really hope D3 removes friendly fire completely..
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I see two simple solutions that I don't think would require much developer time:

1) Add a popup warning when you hit "fight" and your opponent is in your alliance, similar to the one you get while shielded. "WARNING: You are attacking an alliance member. Do you wish to proceed?"
    2) Enable an option for alliance commanders on whether or not friendly fire is allowed... if disallowed, the game won't allow you to hit an alliance member. That way it can be handled on an alliance-by-alliance basis.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll have to go back to my alliance line chat and tell those guys they were hitting me with forethought and intent.
    No, instead you can tell them they're apathetic and lazy. Like I said... it's not hard. "Fog of war" doesn't apply when the person's name is right at the top of the damn screen.
  • FaustianDeal
    Another popular suggestion here is to find a way to include the alliance name of the player you are hitting earlier in the player display screen. Most of the hits I take are from 'new-ish' players to the team. The guys who have been with us longer than a season aren't team-hitting any more.
  • Teehee!

My nickname for 4Thor got modded out. Wasn't a profanity in the first place. icon_lol.gif
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    I dislike this more on the reasoning that this is just a means to further dicourage new players. Bad enough it is hard for a new player to get in a good Alliance, or that they don't have decent characters or that they won't get decent Alliance based rewards. No now we have to make it so they have a big "kick me" sign on their backs.

Better option would be to remove names from the PvP screen so you can't see who you are attacking until it is too late. Same rules apply to everyone so you can't complain that it is unfair or makes like difficult for you if everyone operates under the same restrictions.
  • MaskedMan wrote:
    I dislike this more on the reasoning that this is just a means to further dicourage new players. Bad enough it is hard for a new player to get in a good Alliance, or that they don't have decent characters or that they won't get decent Alliance based rewards. No now we have to make it so they have a big "kick me" sign on their backs.

Better option would be to remove names from the PvP screen so you can't see who you are attacking until it is too late. Same rules apply to everyone so you can't complain that it is unfair or makes like difficult for you if everyone operates under the same restrictions.

I don't see how removing same-alliance mates from pvp will affect new players from getting in a good alliance. Or have a big "kick me" sign on their backs if they don't attack their teammates.

Also removing names from pvp would be even worse. You should as a rule of thumb know who your teammates are, as you can click on his/her name to check out the player's alliance if the name looks familiar.

IMO the only time some allowances could be made for friendly fire is when the player was rushing to find points in the last few minutes of a pvp and didn't stop to take a look at who he's attacking, probably paying more attention to the points. But D3 could easily remove this problem altogether if they wanted.

On a side-note: The only teammate I would attack with a big "kick me" sign on his back would be Bagman. If any of the commanders allowed such a travesty into the alliance. icon_evil.gif

Because, because.