True scoring my $%^$^$

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So of course I climb the progression ranks trying to get my final green xforce. Sitting at 1278 and I have a 28 pointer that I had been saving for about 5 battles since he wasn't too difficult a battle. He had recently dropped from 45 to 38...etc. to 28. So I decided to finish him off to push me over the top. After I pull off an story book finish by wiping him out in about 3 minutes, I see my score go over 1300, await my reward....and surprise, nothing. So then I notice my score was 1279...so I figured i was attacked...nope, waiting for the screen to show I was attacked, nothing, waited 10 minutes, and nothing. So I want to know, why in the heck did I get 1 stinking point for my 28 point victory? True scoring huh....or am i missing the obvious?

UPDATE: I managed to get my first 1300 progression ever by fighting a 45 pointer leaving no doubt. Cost about 1200 hp (400 on hp) and will place first so will get the Elektra as well. HP well spent.

Comments

• Baddkitty
    Options
    Maybe your connection or something. I had this happen the other day. i was sitting at 200. Fought 6 relatively easy battles.. hit 320 or so no reward for 300. So i put my phone down, 20min later i log in again and im right where i started. No evidence i had even fought anyone, yet my characters healths were all low.
  • Your opponent's score is not updated after they've been queued. Suppose you put me on queue while I just started the event at 0. Later I earned 1000 points, but to you the pointed earned for winning would still be as if I have a score of 0. Note that had you been able to see my score, you'd see a score of 0 on my rating according to your screen.

This is why you usually want to try to look for people in top 10 alliances or in your bracket (top 10 or around your range of score in the bracket). Of course those guys tend to be worth more points, but even if not, this allows you to verify the score you see is actually correct. Yes you can no longer see their score, but if you see a guy in XMen that claims to give you 20 points and you're at 1000, and then you check the alliance leaderboard and found out that guy has 1700, you can be pretty sure that 20 is wrong and you'll probably get 49 or 50 for winning.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Your opponent's score is not updated after they've been queued. Suppose you put me on queue while I just started the event at 0. Later I earned 1000 points, but to you the pointed earned for winning would still be as if I have a score of 0. Note that had you been able to see my score, you'd see a score of 0 on my rating according to your screen. <snip>

I think he knows this. The R67 update was supposed to fix this issue. Nodes would be refreshed with the actual value of the points the opponent is worth for beating them.
    Instead MPQ put in something that just hides your opponents total score. It made things worse and less enjoyable in my opinion.
  • Yes exactly, the update was supposed to show "true" scores even if they were queued. This was evident in the fact that he was in the 40s when i first queued him and then his points decreased after each victory i achieved so his score was updating even though he was queued. Unfortunately, he was truly only worth 1 point.
  • Yes exactly, the update was supposed to show "true" scores even if they were queued. This was evident in the fact that he was in the 40s when i first queued him and then his points decreased after each victory i achieved so his score was updating even though he was queued. Unfortunately, he was truly only worth 1 point.

No his score wasn't updated. Your score was. Let's say you started at 0 and queued a guy up that's got 400 so you should get about 45 points or so roughly. You earn 100 points, the points for the same fight will be updated to around 35 to reflect the fact that your point is now 100 versus that player's original score of 400. Whatever that guy gained or lost during the time you went from 0-100 is not factored in at all. I know they claimed to have fixed it but it didn't do anything to address the issue so I can only assume they meant something else (like the inability to see your opponent's score in PvP). But either way, the points you earn for a fight always reflected your current score but the opponent's score is always frozen at the time he was queued for the purpose of calculation, which pretty much means anyone's score that's more than an hour off might as well be a completely random number once you get into the high ranges.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The changes in point value as you defeat other opponents are because you've been decreasing the difference between your score and those of your queued opponents. Try it when you have three opponents of 25 points each queued up. Beat one, and the other two go down to about 23.
  • grapez
    grapez Posts: 50
    Options
    hey can i ask you a question?

you said you spent 1200 hp? then you said 400 on hp. sorry is that a typo? what did you mean by that?

did you accomplish that with a four star cast or a three star?

i think i might want to make the push one day for some of these 1300 progression rewards and I just wanted to know what was the best way to go about attaining it.

think you could write out a detailed outline of what you did? that would be very much appreciated.

thanks much!
    merry xmas
  • Fellas, i understand that when i win the other guys points go down because of the decrease in differential. The point of this is the update is talking about true scoring which is a misnomer at best. And if my opponent is at 40+ when i am at 1100ish, and i fight him about 1 hour later at 1278ish, then how decimated must he have been to have garnered me 1 point when i finally got to fighting him? Regardless, "true" scoring would let me see an updated score when i click on the node to fight him one would think. Its not like i pressed the node, sat there for an hour staring at it and then fought, i exited and entered the node several times. Now if you telll me that adding that in would decrease overall speed and performance, i can live without it.
  • Sure the patch said it was fixed but since that was clearly not even close to the case I didn't dwell too much on it. I'd think they can at least update the score every 5 minutes and that shouldn't have any significant performance issues. I don't mind if your score is slightly behind like how sometimes you won a game and you got 998 but you really have 1000 and you've to wait a minute before the correct score shows up.
  • grapez wrote:

you said you spent 1200 hp? then you said 400 on hp. sorry is that a typo? what did you mean by that?

i think i might want to make the push one day for some of these 1300 progression rewards and I just wanted to know what was the best way to go about attaining it.

think you could write out a detailed outline of what you did? that would be very much appreciated.

thanks much!
    merry xmas

400 hp on health packs. I wrote out kind of what i did on the tips and guidelines section on the 1300 pvp post. Id link it but i do all this on my phone and its difficult to do.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    grapez wrote:

thanks much!
    merry xmas

I also did the 1300 climb recently for my last xforce black. My roster is nearly all max-covers but not max-level 3*s and a 12-cover xforce. Climbed up as high as I could before I started getting hit, about 800, then shielded to heal and regenerate health packs. Picked out high-value targets while healing.

Since my roster was not maxed (current mostly at 147) and therefore a softer target, I chose to play safe by using iso boosts (plus rainbow boosts if I was feeling really timid) and playing 2 matches at a time between hops. Hardly got attacked, so if you're feeling brave you can try 3 matches.

Got attacked once after my first match, and immediately shielded again just in time to have another attack bounce off, so that was a slight bump in the road. But otherwise, since I didn't buy health packs and I had a lot of rainbow boosts stored up, I only spent about 500hp on shields total.

Really helps also if you choose an event where your featured character is high level. The easiest teams to fight are always those using loaner characters. Essentially you will be 3 vs 2 for those even if they have stronger characters.

Good luck with your attempt!
  • Dayv
    Options
    The R67 update for point display was supposed to be this:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Season’s Greetings and happy holidays to everyone!

R67 Patch Notes:

UI, Tweaks & Bug Fixes
      - Default starting opponents in Versus play now always report the correct amount of "current points" they have.
    source

The way I read that, it only affected "default starting teams", or what we on the forums refer to as "seed teams".

What then happened is that a patch intended for a later release went in either instead or in addition to this one, which caused the game to stop displaying opponents' "current points" completely. source

If D3 has ever purported to be giving us updated point values for queued opponents, I missed that. Certainly it's possible to do, but is it a priority for them?

I'd guess that D3 is more worried about people selecting opponents to fight immediately, not save for later. In that case, the value of the fight would only fluctuate by relatively small amounts before you won or lost the match. Saving opponents for later can be a very good strategy, but I think it's more of a mild form of meta-gaming that isn't one of D3/Demiurge's main design goals.
  • Even immediate opponents can have a very large fluctuation in points once you go high enough, mostly because scores there tend to fluctuate significantly in either directions. Remember the game queues up about 10 opponents for you ahead of time so even if you play continously, the last guy you queued up is going to be fairly out of date by the time you got to him.
  • Dayv
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Even immediate opponents can have a very large fluctuation in points once you go high enough, mostly because scores there tend to fluctuate significantly in either directions. Remember the game queues up about 10 opponents for you ahead of time so even if you play continously, the last guy you queued up is going to be fairly out of date by the time you got to him.
    Oh, totally true.

I'm not saying I don't think they should have more frequent updates of these values, I'm just saying why I think it's not a priority for them. With enough player feedback, maybe that can change.