** Ares (Dark Avengers) **

Comments

• jozier wrote:
    4/5/4 is for people who like to enter fights with low health.

5/4/4 is for those not too keen on taking damage.

They're both viable imo.

Both of those are worse than 4/4/5 though.
    Not really, depends on team composition and playstyle. It assumes the premise that yellow is his best skill and your team build is centered around it.
  • I asked around here where to go from 4/4/4, and took the suggested 4/4/5. It proved the good choice. Both for tournament and my trials using him in Hunt. I keep him lvl84, so when paired with Volerine the other takes the tiles. As I wrote in another topic he's really fun to play with, as all skills are viable and asks for good strategic choices. (outside overbuffed arenas where you just press the overkill button).

In Gods they seem somewhat less buffed -- probably still he's the best boss for stockpile-driven instawins.
  • jozier wrote:

They're both viable imo.

Not really, depends on team composition and playstyle. It assumes the premise that yellow is his best skill and your team build is centered around it.

Green doesn't have much use besides being able to give the enemy team 2 greep AP instead of 3 green AP.

5 in red is not that useful because you're rarely getting off more than one attack at under 30% of your health, if you ever get there. (Remember, there's only a slim amount of time where you'll be at 26-30% and not 1-25%).

The 5th yellow actually does something different - it makes the skill viable. A 3 countdown tile is a risk. A 2 countdown tile can be a beast.
  • jozier wrote:
    The 5th yellow actually does something different - it makes the skill viable. A 3 countdown tile is a risk. A 2 countdown tile can be a beast.

I shot with yellow only when no yellow picks were possible -- and still got my 3-counting tile nuked by different means like 25-30% of the times. Someone upstream stated that there is a drastic difference between 2 and 3 and was very right. Also even without the risk of losing it there's huge strategic difference if the second strike hits just 2 turns in. More so if you're close to finish and wish to pick up the health before it's over. icon_e_smile.gif

Guess it's possible to shell off red right after yellow when you're temporarily low on health but I'd do it only if I have it coming, not consider deliberately arrange for low health. AAMOF I usually shoot OBW healing right after yellow to be on hte safe side for any case.
  • A 2 turn countdown only has to survive 4 matches versus 6 matches for 3 turn countdown, so statistically a 2 turn CD is 50% more likely to survive than a 3 turn CD. Since Sunder is not actually very good if the CD failed to resolve, this is a rather significant difference.
  • By the way, does the green round up or down on odd tranfers to the enemy? I.e. does a 7 AP onslaught give 3 or 4 to the enemy team?
  • jozier wrote:
    jozier wrote:

They're both viable imo.

Green doesn't have much use besides being able to give the enemy team 2 greep AP instead of 3 green AP.

5 in red is not that useful because you're rarely getting off more than one attack at under 30% of your health, if you ever get there. (Remember, there's only a slim amount of time where you'll be at 26-30% and not 1-25%).

if you can manage to pop out a couple of yellow's in one go, you could manage to pull it off. I have 3/5/5 (green/red/yellow) because those are the free covers I got. I have another ares that I'm going to build differently. I try to prepare for my countdown timers by reducing the number of tiles of that color on the board.
  • jozier wrote:
    By the way, does the green round up or down on odd tranfers to the enemy? I.e. does a 7 AP onslaught give 3 or 4 to the enemy team?

Almost positive it rounds down.
  • You obviously try to match all the yellows you can before using Sunder, but you don't always have a choice. If Magento finished prepping up a Magnetic Translocation, you're going to use Sunder on him even if it's a massive overkill. In my experience it's not hard to protect the Sunder tile, but I certainly wouldn't want to take my chances on another turn. An extra turn in delay is 2 more chances something can go wrong.
  • Phantron wrote:
    You obviously try to match all the yellows you can before using Sunder, but you don't always have a choice. If Magento finished prepping up a Magnetic Translocation, you're going to use Sunder on him even if it's a massive overkill. In my experience it's not hard to protect the Sunder tile, but I certainly wouldn't want to take my chances on another turn. An extra turn in delay is 2 more chances something can go wrong.

I lost the countdown tile more often due to winning.
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    I have my Ares at lvl 51 with 4/4/5 and it came in handy today during a Divine Champions battle I had with Thor/IM35/Ares as I whittled all three characters down from their high HP after applying Sunder twice and Onslaught (had to be careful when to use this and against who) and then the joy at seeing the resulting countdown timers placed as far away from the other yellows on the board and the grin at seeing both of them activate to return me health and finish off two opponents.

Nice icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

It would of course be interesting to be able to try other combinations 4/5/4 or 5/4/4 or even 3/5/5, but he is definitely a better version of Juggernaugt as many have said. A great addition to the roster for sure. icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    It seems wolvie and ares both have the same tile stats at level 85. can anyone tell me which tiles each one of them gets, i have ares sitting at 84 cause i want wolvie out front due to his healing.
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Thanos wrote:
    It seems wolvie and ares both have the same tile stats at level 85. can anyone tell me which tiles each one of them gets, i have ares sitting at 84 cause i want wolvie out front due to his healing.
    I would also love to know the answer to this as I'm doing the exact same thing with my Ares icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Thanos wrote:

If characters have the save tile stats, the order of characters you choose before going into battle will determine which tiles each character get, I think, at least for the PC version.
  • The priority for character to match something on a tie is (2 1 3), so center beats left which beats right. Not totally sure about the side positions, but center definitely wins. Note that the tile match strength is rounded to the nearest integer, so just because two guys appear to have a match strength of 50 doesn't necessarily mean they're tied. In the case of Ares and Wolverine, both have the same colors and they're the same tier, so I imagine they'd use the same formula too to determine base match strength in the event of a tie.
  • I was planning to go 4/4/5, but i've messed up by being tired, so he is now a 5/3/5.

I really like his yellow skill, but i have a feeling my Ares build is the worst there is. I dont understand the advantage of level 5 green skill. It reduces the cost from 6 to 5. That's still 2 green matches on the board. I really dont see the use of it.

Also red is a nice skill, each rank increasing the actual damage. I'm regreting my mistake, but nothing to do about it now. At least the yellow is fine icon_e_smile.gif
  • Phantron wrote:
    The priority for character to match something on a tie is (2 1 3), so center beats left which beats right. Not totally sure about the side positions, but center definitely wins. Note that the tile match strength is rounded to the nearest integer, so just because two guys appear to have a match strength of 50 doesn't necessarily mean they're tied. In the case of Ares and Wolverine, both have the same colors and they're the same tier, so I imagine they'd use the same formula too to determine base match strength in the event of a tie.

Does crit multiplier factor into it? In general I'd rather have the person with higher crit making matches.
  • uuddlrlr
    uuddlrlr Posts: 93 Match Maker
    I wish someone would post the damage of the skills for a maxed lvl85 Ares.
    I know some people have that information, I've seen quite a few in tournaments already icon_e_wink.gif . So don't be shy!

I threw away some Ares covers already (doh!), but seeing how Thor is scheduled for nerfs, maybe Ares will be a good replacement for Thor (and maybe he can get nerfed too once everyone starts using him).
  • My ares is 3/5/5 at lvl 70.

I was disappointed to see him buffed again lol. I would have went 4/4/5 instead.

Once I reach 85 ill let you know his ability damages.
  • uuddlrlr wrote:
    I wish someone would post the damage of the skills for a maxed lvl85 Ares.
    I know some people have that information, I've seen quite a few in tournaments already icon_e_wink.gif . So don't be shy!

I threw away some Ares covers already (doh!), but seeing how Thor is scheduled for nerfs, maybe Ares will be a good replacement for Thor (and maybe he can get nerfed too once everyone starts using him).
    39 45 9 50 11 10 3.0x crit 3 env

Onslaught - 207 per green AP
    Rampage - 757, or 1513
    Sunder - 2003 to enemy, 890 to self. 2 turn CD is 668 to enemy, 723 heal