Hi, I'm a MPQ player and I'm a whiny entitled brat

Options
Puritas
Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
edited January 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
You know what? Let's just put down today in MPQ history as mechgouki Week, where we all post big, sprawling, mindnumbingly obnoxious diatribes.

Never mind that every single week since the game came out has seen variations on the theme of "Thor and Rag are way too strong, they're the real 4-stars of the game."

Never mind that a majority of the posts before yesterday when searching for "Ragnarok" agree that he was boring and ruined the enjoyment of the game system, but since he won matches in 2 turns you needed him in your lineup to keep up in speed.

Never mind that every advice post from anyone who's played for over a couple weeks wasn't asking "What are good lineup combos?", but asking "What heroes are good supports for Ragnarok/Thor?"

Nah, let's dig in our feet like a kid denied candy in a grocery store and kick and scream until the devs give us back Captain Overpowered, because it was player skill that won matches with Rag, damn it, and matching 6 red blocks to win the game is the height of strategic game play!

After all, when we buy something IRL, we know that our investment is good forever. Cars never break down, computers never have to be upgraded, and dear god if anything is ever defective shortly after purchasing the only possible option is to go take a dump on the doorstep of the store you bought it from, then firebomb it for good measure.

P.S. To the people who keep posting about this being the worst example of balance in any game ever:
If you keep playing games with major pvp components (or get a job in any competitive field, for that matter), sorry to break it to you but this is gonna be a recurring theme, honeybunch. Maybe you should sidle on back to your f2p singleplayer experiences where you can pay to overcome a lack of skill icon_e_smile.gif

Edit: incidentally when I posted this
first page was covered in rants demanding refunds and mass posting of negative reviews of the game until things were changed
so it's a little out of context now :X

Comments

• Puritas wrote:
    You know what? Let's just put down today in MPQ history as mechgouki Week, where we all post big, sprawling, mindnumbingly obnoxious diatribes.

Never mind that every single week since the game came out has seen variations on the theme of "Thor and Rag are way too strong, they're the real 4-stars of the game."

Never mind that a majority of the posts before yesterday when searching for "Ragnarok" agree that he was boring and ruined the enjoyment of the game system, but since he won matches in 2 turns you needed him in your lineup to keep up in speed.

Never mind that every advice post from anyone who's played for over a couple weeks wasn't asking "What are good lineup combos?", but asking "What heroes are good supports for Ragnarok/Thor?"

Nah, let's dig in our feet like a kid denied candy in a grocery store and kick and scream until the devs give us back Captain Overpowered, because it was player skill that won matches with Rag, damn it, and matching 6 red blocks to win the game is the height of strategic game play!

After all, when we buy something IRL, we know that our investment is good forever. Cars never break down, computers never have to be upgraded, and dear god if anything is ever defective shortly after purchasing the only possible option is to go take a dump on the doorstep of the store you bought it from, then firebomb it for good measure.

P.S. To the people who keep posting about this being the worst example of balance in any game ever:
    If you keep playing games with major pvp components (or get a job in any competitive field, for that matter), sorry to break it to you but this is gonna be a recurring theme, honeybunch. Maybe you should sidle on back to your f2p singleplayer experiences where you can pay to overcome a lack of skill icon_e_smile.gif

i specifically do not like these posts because its a whine in itself, about whiners.

there has been a ton of anger in general, but there has also been well thought out discussions about these nerfs and why it was overhanded. i can give you statistical evidence over its overhandedness just by giving you a comparison with thor, a near identical character. but right now, with D3 coming out and stating thor is up for rebalancing also shows that ragnaroks abilities are now the baseline.

and yes, there are a ton of examples from other games of the nerf and buff cycle, but the developers in those games give us reasoning behind the nerfs and buffs, and the developers idealogies. in this case, d3 has posted two threads in the past 2 days of storm, and one was, "hey ragnaroks abilities have been changed enjoy!" and the other is "we'll be changing these characters next, beware!" without any reasoning behind the changes besides the vague "rebalancing" statement.
  • Damn this post sure helped the situation. Bravo sir.

/sarcasm
  • Puritas
    edited January 2014
    Options
    DumDumDugn wrote:
    Damn this post sure helped the situation. Bravo sir.

/sarcasm

I think you missed the part where I said I'm a whiny entitled brat

/sarcasm

@forgrim yeah, they handled it pretty poorly and there's a number of things that could have and could still improve the rebalance process for everyone - and I really hope they do learn from it.
    I don't really have anything new to contribute on that front though, I just wanted to comment on player reaction =)
  • h14A1018F
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Puritas wrote:

If you keep playing games with major pvp components (or get a job in any competitive field, for that matter), sorry to break it to you but this is gonna be a recurring theme, honeybunch. Maybe you should sidle on back to your f2p singleplayer experiences where you can pay to overcome a lack of skill :)

I like you.

Wanna bang?
  • Puritas wrote:
    I don't know what goes through peoples' heads when they come up with half-assed analogies like this.

How would you feel if you bought a BMW 5-series, and a month later it turned into a BMW 3-series? How would you feel if the computer you bought broke down after 4 hours? Oh yeah, you would get a refund. And it would be possible, thanks to a refund policy. A warranty.

Your post overall was fine but this part was just mindnumbingly dumb, sorry.
  • Puritas
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Puritas wrote:
    I don't know what goes through peoples' heads when they come up with half-assed analogies like this.

How would you feel if you bought a BMW 5-series, and a month later it turned into a BMW 3-series? How would you feel if the computer you bought broke down after 4 hours? Oh yeah, you would get a refund. And it would be possible, thanks to a refund policy. A warranty.

Except for the part where they haven't said they're not giving refunds for recent HP rag purchases
  • Puritas wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:
    Puritas wrote:

Except for the part where they haven't said they're not giving refunds for recent HP rag purchases

If they do, it'll open up a whole new can of worms. How recent is the cutoff? Whatever arbitrary day you set, a certain subset of people will complain.
  • BigMao
    BigMao Posts: 117
    Options
    Customer service won't be able to satisfy everyone, but I think it'd be easy for them to help a majority of people.

I know I purchased nothing physically, it was only an updated value in the server database - but clearly I paid in order to have more fun. Compared to other things I might buy (a car or computer software), this purchase has no stand-alone value, and it depends entirely on developer decisions. There was a certain amount of trust that went into it, and D3 / Demiurge needs to maintain or regain this trust in order to merit further support.
  • ...and I'm a PC?
  • lfmao I got trolled!!!

*turns on Hulk mode*