Now I know why my pvp placement is starting to suck

Options
Hulk11
Hulk11 Posts: 435
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
This maybe official and I just missed it, but when I joined this latest pvp at a later time, I had easy opponents and ranking to a point. Then suddenly the game aborts and when I get back in my team is served up some retreat damage, and my opponents are a lot tougher. I guess if this is the official way that they combat join times, then ok, I guess it just screws with everyone and not just me. If this is a bug then that sucks too. Either way, I don't think this just happens to me. Anyway, join times are basically not going to help now, and I guess this is more official, essentially making my pvp experience way worse now.

Comments

• DanBenZvi
    DanBenZvi Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    At least you can attribute your difficulty spike to a game crash.

I've been playing the game for a little under a month now. My current roster's highest ranked character is a level 50 IM35 (5/4/4). I have *no* characters ranked higher, I feel I need to make this very clear for the next part of the post.

My current ranking on the Starfall PvP tourney is #144 for my bracket, my score is 61 points (top ranked score for the bracket, in contrast, is 663 points).

I get attacked *regularly*, usually at a cost of 2-3 points. The latest team to attack me? Lvl60 Sentry paired with Lvl102 3 Star Spidey and Lvl135 4 Star Wolverine (note: I am aware that Lvl60 Sentry is the tourney loaner. I already have one Sentry cover that I won for a base Lvl 40 and the tourney only buffs him up to Lvl 60.)

Once again, I have no characters leveled higher than Lvl50.

The two matches that the game is offering me that it somehow appears to believe are fair/that it thinks I might have a chance of winning?

Team One: Lvl237 Sentry, Lvl166 3 Star Daken, Lvl250 4 Star Wolverine. Team Two: Lvl60 Sentry, Lvl142 4 Star Wolverine, Lvl81 Daken. Both of which I *know* will annihilate me.

So, essentially, I can barely reach 50 points in a PvP tourney before being matched against teams that will destroy me. I have no chance of reaching *any* of the significant progression awards and seem to have become a seed team for a lot of folks.

Please note, this is *not* a complaint. It is simply a statement of fact. The playing field is so grossly unlevel at the moment that I cherish any significant award/cover I can scrap out. I have *no chance* at the Elektra covers being offered in the current PvE tourney and will be *more* than thrilled if I can stay in my current point range (which, if the tourney ended today, would net me a Daredevil cover).

There just occasionally comes a point where I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall with this game.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Try skipping those opponents and you should be able to get easier ones.
    PvP is greatly difficult for new players. I have been playing for a little over two months and can very rarely place top 100.
    PvE is the best place for new players. At the moment it doesn't matter because as much because some people have bugged subs that make all the nodes trivial or easy. But normally that is where new players want to spend a majority of their time. Try to join am alliance. You wont be able to join one of the top alliance obviously but even the extra ISO and HP will help somewhat
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    Options
    eaise wrote:
    PvP is greatly difficult for new players. I have been playing for a little over two months and can very rarely place top 100.
    PvE is the best place for new players. At the moment it doesn't matter because as much because some people have bugged subs that make all the nodes trivial or easy. But normally that is where new players want to spend a majority of their time. Try to join am alliance. You wont be able to join one of the top alliance obviously but even the extra ISO and HP will help somewhat

Pretty sure I used skip a couple times. Don't really know what happened, but it was like the game reset itself and put me into a harder game. That pvp is over so I'll see if it happens again.
  • DanBenZvi
    DanBenZvi Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    eaise wrote:

Thanks for replying and being cool about it.

On PvP: Kept those teams in the nodes they were in just to see what would happen if I did skip them. Results:

New Team One: Lvl60 Sentry, Lvl89 Invisible Woman, Lvl78 Ragnarok. Not *much* of a scale down. icon_e_smile.gif

I'm learning that PvP is really *not* the best option for me at this point. Way too many folks with highly powered lineups going after folks like me because they smell blood in the water. The best I can seem to hope for at this point is a Standard Token and 100 ISO before things start scaling wildly out of control for me.

As for PvE: yup, definitely better experience there for me so far. In my bracket for Prodigal Sun, I'm currently at 33,083 points which has me comfortably in range to snag a Daredevil cover (and beavering away hard towards that 40,000 point Daken cover progression award). All I have to do is at least keep within the range I'm in right now and I can definitely leave the event happy. I do have my questions about PvE, though. In the Prodigal Sun: Los Angeles sub node, I'm currently sitting at 5,361 points total for a placing of 86th, which I am fine and dandy with. The confusing part comes when I check out the top scores for the sub node and see that the player sitting in Number One has a score of 15,964 for a sub node that, for me, awarded fairly low point totals and took a while to rubberband back to full points. I'm guessing that's just a function of roster depth (he has 39 slots to my 13) and roster strength.

As for alliances: I gather that it's in my best interests to join one ASAP, I get that. But how *exactly* to go about it, there I'm a little unsure. Are there certain characteristics or criteria that I should be looking for in an Alliance? I know I probably shouldn't just join the first Alliance i find but how do I know which one to join?
  • DanBenZvi wrote:
    eaise wrote:

Thanks for replying and being cool about it.

On PvP: Kept those teams in the nodes they were in just to see what would happen if I did skip them. Results:

New Team One: Lvl60 Sentry, Lvl89 Invisible Woman, Lvl78 Ragnarok. Not *much* of a scale down. icon_e_smile.gif

I'm learning that PvP is really *not* the best option for me at this point. Way too many folks with highly powered lineups going after folks like me because they smell blood in the water. The best I can seem to hope for at this point is a Standard Token and 100 ISO before things start scaling wildly out of control for me.

As for PvE: yup, definitely better experience there for me so far. In my bracket for Prodigal Sun, I'm currently at 33,083 points which has me comfortably in range to snag a Daredevil cover (and beavering away hard towards that 40,000 point Daken cover progression award). All I have to do is at least keep within the range I'm in right now and I can definitely leave the event happy. I do have my questions about PvE, though. In the Prodigal Sun: Los Angeles sub node, I'm currently sitting at 5,361 points total for a placing of 86th, which I am fine and dandy with. The confusing part comes when I check out the top scores for the sub node and see that the player sitting in Number One has a score of 15,964 for a sub node that, for me, awarded fairly low point totals and took a while to rubberband back to full points. I'm guessing that's just a function of roster depth (he has 39 slots to my 13) and roster strength.

As for alliances: I gather that it's in my best interests to join one ASAP, I get that. But how *exactly* to go about it, there I'm a little unsure. Are there certain characteristics or criteria that I should be looking for in an Alliance? I know I probably shouldn't just join the first Alliance i find but how do I know which one to join?
    All of top 10 plays constantly (meaning every 3hr. They even go out of their way to take 3hrs of sleep at a time so they can get as much points as possible). I'm hoping for Elektra this event but im gunna have to do some major grinding over the next 3 days to do so. You can join my alliance if you want. Alliance name the hornets. I dont care how much you play just need participation
  • grapez
    grapez Posts: 50
    Options
    well for the alliance joining, you should go to the alliance page on the forums and try to find one suitable for you.

obviously if you join an alliance with all high members, they will probably kick you out because you won't be able to contribute much.

you also dont want to join an alliance that has a lot of inactive or low leveled members.

look for an alliance with active players around your roster strength. you guys can then grow together. good luck!
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm happy to help. People helped me when I first started so I'll help others. I didn't actually compete in PvP till I had a maxed 2*. And that was before the changes to matchmaking. Essentials make a big difference in PvE so if you don't have Loki then you will see a huge point gap between you and the leaders of your bracket. As for finding an alliance you really just have to take a leap of faith sometimes. I joined am alliance mid season and then the next season some of us broke off to form a new alliance and now we our the top PvE alliance and our newly formed second alliance is currently #2 in PvE. You just gotta find a alliance that fits you. Some are strict and others are more casual. Just keep trying till you find one you like. And as you get better you can get into better alliances
  • Dont worry you will lose likely 100 -200 points in the final hours PVP if you dont shield