Wildcard Cover

Enoc99
Enoc99 Posts: 141
One thing I think would be of a huge benefit to the game, and become more fun, would be a wildcard cover.

One of the most frustrating things within the game is when a hero is maxed out or near maxed out, but doesn't have the array of cover levels that you would desire. Then one day, the hero's covers show up in the rewards, and the only cover you need is only available to the top 5 people in your bracket. You then sulk away knowing that your chance to get that cover are very low unless you are already one of the top players out there.

Enter the WILDCARD COVER!

This would be a "cover" that you could use to increase any power for a hero of a certain star value. There would be 1*, 2*, 3*, and 4* wildcard covers (1* and 2* wildcard covers could be random drops from tokens and PvP). You would have to have at least one cover already for the given power, but you could use a wildcard cover much in the same way as spending HP to buy a cover. The wildcard covers would have to be rare. You could be given one guaranteed 3* wildcard cover for every 10 pack you buy, and one 4* wildcard cover and 3 3* wildcard covers for every 40 pack you buy (in addition to whatever you open in the packs). This would sell the multi-packs much more readily than in the current environment, and everyone buying one would get at least one cover they want, so the customers would be happy about their purchases and have more fun as a result.

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before. It's a good idea, but if they did add wild cards to the packs, they would need to compensate by lowering the pull % of certain characters. IMO, they are low enough as they are. It is a great idea though, and I really would love to see something like it. But it would mean D3 losing more money than they made. Right now, if I need, say a black Punisher. Then I might buy 5 or 6 ten packs to try and get it. Even then , I still might not get it. With wild cards, players would buy only 1 ten pack, take what they nedd and not buy more.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not exactly the same thing, but I think it would also be interesting to have some progression or placement rewards be a random cover for a specified character. This would be particularly good for either the alliance or top 100 rewards in PvE, I think.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    Not exactly the same thing, but I think it would also be interesting to have some progression or placement rewards be a random cover for a specified character. This would be particularly good for either the alliance or top 100 rewards in PvE, I think.

I am torn on this suggestion. If they were to take, for example the 1100 or 1300 progression cover and switch it from being a 'fixed' cover "red deadpool" to a "random deadpool cover" that sounds both interesting and terrible. If I am not picky, but 'any deadpool will do' then that doesn't sound too bad... but if I really only need red and random one gives me a 2/3 shot of getting the wrong one. (And that assumes that the tokens are evenly spit across the colors - which I am not convinced that they are.) Conversely if I already have 5 reds for deadpool, then seeing red @ 1100 is no motivation... I would prefer to have a 2/3 chance of getting black or purple.

The question is, will people be more likely to push for 1100 for a guaranteed cover for a character in the color they need, or to have a chance to pull something they might be able to use for a character? I feel like we have so few opportunities to definitively say "if I get 1100 in this event I get *the* card that I need".. I don't want to see that get taken away.

Skinner (and his box) would probably tell them that this is a great chance to make more money, since it might induce people to need to chase 1100 more often than they need to now. It seems like its a good change to further condition players to spend to win, but it doesn't seem like it is as good in terms of being a direct benefit for players.