An Honest Question About Changes:

Options
Why is there almost zero communication ahead of time? Take any other company, and I know you guys aren't a "A-List" game producer or anything, but I'm just curious why there's never a "here's some nerfs and changes we're thinking about implementing in the next 2 weeks" or whatever. I know these changes aren't instant, but I spent money on this game to support you guys, and I'll I'm asking for is a little communication with your players. I don't like feeling like I've been robbed when the 2-star character I had already at 85 (Thor) is now stronger than the 3-star I invested time and money into receiving. I just want a little talky-talky, and a little less stealthy-stealthy. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Obviously to grab your cash. No one will spend tens of dollars on a cover that's going to be nerfed.
  • I just think it's insane that even with the entire page of General Discussion being devoted to the Ragnarok nerf, not a single developer posts anything. Complete silence. It's like they've given up on the players. Ever since day 1, the support was amazing on here, and IceIX responded to nearly every post of note. It's just been in complete decline unfortunately since then :/
  • Dslyexic wrote:
    I know you guys aren't a "A-List" game producer or anything,

Actually, they've been around the gaming block for a few years now if this recent interview is correct:
    http://drinkingcoffeecola.blogspot.com/2014/01/interview-with-albert-reed-demiurge-ceo.html

BG: Hi Albert, thanks so much for taking the time. To start with, although it seems like your studio has been around for a while, it's not a very well-known house. Can you tell us what you've worked on, and who's on the team?

AR: We’ve been around since 2002 actually! We've been working behind-the-scenes on AAA games for ten years before starting on Marvel Puzzle Quest. We've contributed to Brothers in Arms, Mass Effect and even made a couple of Rock Band games along the way.
  • Dslyexic wrote:
    I just think it's insane that even with the entire page of General Discussion being devoted to the Ragnarok nerf, not a single developer posts anything. Complete silence. It's like they've given up on the players.

They have given up. They are simply trying to grab as much cash as they can before they fold the game as a failure (too bad the only failure is that of the developers being unable to figure out how to balance a simple game)
  • zhadum wrote:
    Dslyexic wrote:
    I just think it's insane that even with the entire page of General Discussion being devoted to the Ragnarok nerf, not a single developer posts anything. Complete silence. It's like they've given up on the players.

They have given up. They are simply trying to grab as much cash as they can before they fold the game as a failure (too bad the only failure is that of the developers being unable to figure out how to balance a simple game)

See, I'd believe that if an interview with the CEO didn't come out yesterday.... Obviously they still plan to develop it. IT WOULD JUST BE NICE IF THEY TALKED TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING IT. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Dslyexic wrote:
    zhadum wrote:
    Dslyexic wrote:

See, I'd believe that if an interview with the CEO didn't come out yesterday.... Obviously they still plan to develop it. IT WOULD JUST BE NICE IF THEY TALKED TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING IT. icon_e_sad.gif

Or the CEO was lying through his teeth, given that nobody would spend money if they came out and said they were abandoning the failure.
  • From my experience this is pretty typical. I don't like it; but if I got a nickel every time a game I was playing got a ninja nerf or unexpected, and unpopular, change.... well I think I'd have a cool $20 Bill in my wallet. I don't think the mood of the forum has a very large impact on game decisions.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said that they weren't a community manager, but we all started treating them like one. I have to wonder if some of the recent, more abusive new posters made IceIX focus on other job responsibilities.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Here is the main difference to having Ice IX and not having Ice IX, Previously to this week Ice IX posted these kinds of nerfs and changes like shields before they happened so at least this forum community had a chance to take it in and consider how it would impact the game.

Just in the past four days we've has a R45 update which still lacks patch notes and no warning of this nerf. All without a word from the D3 team on this forum. This kind of contempt leads to anger and eventually quitting. I lived through the nerf of Loki after I poured resources into him and I'll live through the nerf of Rag too. What will make me lose patience is indifference to the impact these kind of changes have and nobody who cares about anything but our money.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Here is the main difference to having Ice IX and not having Ice IX, Previously to this week Ice IX posted these kinds of nerfs and changes like shields before they happened so at least this forum community had a chance to take it in and consider how it would impact the game.

Just in the past four days we've has a R45 update which still lacks patch notes and no warning of this nerf. All without a word from the D3 team on this forum. This kind of contempt leads to anger and eventually quitting. I lived through the nerf of Loki after I poured resources into him and I'll live through the nerf of Rag too. What will make me lose patience is indifference to the impact these kind of changes have and nobody who cares about anything but our money.

I agree. I am more upset about the lack of communication than anything. But I've been against every nerf so far. It's lazy developing.
  • To answer the original question, IceIX said quite plainly that they don't announce these types of things ahead of time because they won't make as much money - i.e. people will stop buying them once they know about the change.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ccseifert wrote:
    To answer the original question, IceIX said quite plainly that they don't announce these types of things ahead of time because they won't make as much money - i.e. people will stop buying them once they know about the change.

Then guess what. That's underhanded and a complete misplacement of your markets trust.
  • ccseifert wrote:
    To answer the original question, IceIX said quite plainly that they don't announce these types of things ahead of time because they won't make as much money - i.e. people will stop buying them once they know about the change.

Yeah, the wY you just explained it basically describes them as criminals using dirty business tactics. Bravo for proving the point your fighting against.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    ccseifert wrote:

This is different. The comment was made in regards to cover slot costs. By announcing something like that early, it completely changes the market. Any data retrieved after the new pricing went into effect would be completely tainted. They would learn nothing about the pricing scheme for cover slots until significantly after the change was made.