What if: MPQ sans stars?

AaronTheLuigi
AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
(Apologies in advance if this topic has come up before)

As a new player from the anniversary event, I've joined seeing the upcoming emergence of the star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png era. While it's nice to see the game evolve, I had a recent brainstorm (probably not well thought out) about an alternate way the game could have approached characters. I'm not demanding Demiurge completely overhaul the game, but thinking about how my maxed out star.png heroes (most of whom already lag behind, as only IM/Storm have 3 powers) will be obsolete when I bring my star.pngstar.png characters to 94 (especially considering star.png are only buffed in Balance of Power and Combined Arms), then when I get a sufficient star.pngstar.pngstar.png roster most of my star.pngstar.png become irrelevant (at least they're still featured), and now that the developers are going to start increasing the number of star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters, it wouldn't be long before star.pngstar.pngstar.png become phased out in serious competition. My question is this:

What if all characters had the same level potential as every other character? (i.e. Iron Man (Model 35), Ares (Dark Avengers), Blade (Daywalker) and Wolverine (X-Force) each started at Level 1 and maxed out at 50? or 60/70/100, any theoretical value)

This isn't to say make every character completely equal in terms of damage, health, and ability usefulness, but giving all heroes a fighting chance would encourage a diverse roster and creative play-styles. There are also less troubles when it comes to releasing alternate versions of characters. (I think the devs don't want to make 2 versions of the same character at the same level.) Now, if there was an urge for the devs to make a Spider-Armor/Miles Morales/2099 Spider-Man, it wouldn't need to be a star.png or star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png character.

In this fictional MPQ, you could open up more synergy between existing characters, like Classic Spidey getting off stuns and fueling DA Venom's Devour, or letting MN Magneto fuel MBW's sting, so opponents are stunned long enough for Patch to dish out Berserker Rage/Best There Is, without worrying about instant retaliation from the strike tiles Patch gives the opposition. Deliver Juggernaut's headbutt after placing a Sacrifice tile down from Sentry. Use Model 35's Armored Assault, and Falcon's Inspiration to buff your defenses. All this could be accomplished, and you wouldn't need to be playing Combined Arms/BoP! You wouldn't need to worry about a whole group of characters being outclassed because they have a lower level cap. The tokens could be split up to provide different types of characters (Avengers, Dark Avengers, X-Men, FF) rather than be based on rarity.

I imagine this would likely need to modify the current format the developers currently use for revenue and reward structues, possibly even remove the F2P aspect and offer the game for a fixed price up front. All things considered, it'd definitely alter the way we look at characters to add to our roster. If we could go back to the launch of this game, would you guys like to see this approach?

Comments

• Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Interesting concept, doubt it'll happen.

Just wanted to comment on your statement that characters become obsolete as you progress. This is partly true - particularly in PvP. However, don't discount lower-level characters too much. Against certain teams (particularly goons / anyone that reacts badly to getting hurt (such as Hulk) or can recover (see various Wolverines)), I will take in my 2* Hawkeye/Magneto/Storm team over my usual 3* Thor/Daken/Blade team. In a second.

Sometimes you want tanks - you want the high health. Other times, you just want to down the enemy as quickly as possible. I find 3* combos are much better at the first, and 2* much better at the second. (Ignoring the Sentry/Hood stuff here - talking about a general roster concept.)

Don't have a viable 4* roster yet, so can't say how that applies. icon_e_confused.gif

But yeah. Don't be too quick to 'forget about' your lower chars, when you move up.
  • They did almost the same thing last time with the event "All character lv 270". Was the first time i took so much fun in this game, i tried all characters (i didn't have Jugg and Venom from the one who asking) and really i took lot of pleasure to do this event.

Rest of the game is mostly pain and frustration, lack of fun and imagination from devs.

If you wanna be a top player just be a bot programmed all 3 hours to take your grind in PVE( i don't know how they can think it's funny to do that...) and rest of PVP is just the worst balance i've ever seen in a game( fight lv 200+ with only lv 60-80)...

I agree with your topic then.

But devs don't wanna take risk and totally don't care of advices of players (Check Q&A).
  • D3 wouldn't make much money this way.

I.E. Never gonna happen.