What the **** is up with MMR?

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Was there a stealth MMR change? Is it just me?

Last season, I would hit a wall of 270/166 level players around 600 to 650 and rarely be attacked below 600. Captain America event, the wall arrived at 500, with constant attacks received while over 500. So I did some tanking (first time since Season 6) early in She-Hulk and ran into the 270/166 wall as soon as I cleared all my retaliations around 375. I waited until late to push, so I was not attacked much, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Anybody else seeing this?

Comments

• FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I saw 3*/transition teams start popping up around 400 the last few events (normally I can beat on 2* teams till the mid 600s)...I assumed it was a combination of not tanking in a while and BoP screwing up everyones MMR...maybe they messed with stuff though.
  • I mentioned it in another thread, but I created a new account for my new phone so that I could play on the road, and finally got my characters to a point where I could take on the seed teams in a PVP. I managed to make it to 68 points and suddenly hit the wall of 166 with a few 200+ XForce thrown in for good measure. 68 points.
  • It may be more a case that more people are having 166 teams now then ever.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the She-Hulk event I've managed to skip the L94 "wall" entirely, going straight from teams with at least one 2* in the 60-80 range to 140+ enemies. It's bizarre and weird and I'm glad I'm not in an alliance that shoots for top 100 anymore or it would also be frustrating as all hell.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pushing late in Balance of Power apparently saved my MMR. I got hit repeatedly, way more than I could keep up with.

I went from seeing transition teams in the 100-500 range and then the wall, to seeing IM35 and underleveled 2*s early, and then the wall.

The wall tends to shift depending on what slice I'm in, which is thus dependent on how many targets are available higher up.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    My current theory is that you hit the wall when you run out of targets in your MMR range + your point range.

Thus, early in a tourney, the Wall is lower, because there's less people with high points.

Time Slices also fragmented the pool further, leading to the Wall showing up sooner.

Which, when combined with lower likelihood of reaching Top 100, leads to less people in the lower MMR ranges pushing to higher scores in PVP. Which, naturally, lowers the Wall even further.
  • Fievel wrote:
    I mentioned it in another thread, but I created a new account for my new phone so that I could play on the road, and finally got my characters to a point where I could take on the seed teams in a PVP. I managed to make it to 68 points and suddenly hit the wall of 166 with a few 200+ XForce thrown in for good measure. 68 points.
    I don't see how this is possible. On my beginner account (started during Anniversary Week) I have two 94s now and I hit 300 every single PvP for the token. I have NEVER hit a wall of 166s in any event (even during that PvP where they were messing with MMR). I also almost never get hit by 166s. I don't tank. Win 99% of matches. Just no idea why so many people report seeing the 166 wall with weaker rosters.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My MMR troubles were manifesting in a different way... but the last event was still frustrating as a result...
    from ~200-700 points I was presented with virtually no opportunities to 'fight up'. The majority of my offered matches were for 20 or less, and nothing worth more than 30 came in this point window.

My issue isn't with where/when I hit the wall; I wound up being glad when the wall finally came, because that was when points start coming back to my nodes. (The 2 'best' points I was offered in the last PVP were for matches I started when I was >900 - that felt backwards.)
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't want to come off as complaining but I saw the opposite, yet it's different enough from usual that it does seem like they changed something. I joined late, about 3 hours to go, and all I saw up to 600 were 20-25 point matches against 2* teams+loaner shulk. For reference, I have 6 or 7 166s and a 230 xforce (5/5/3 natch). I couldn't even find a match worth 30 points no matter how much I skipped around and it was all really low level teams. Usually I can find 3* teams with more points so I can hit them for 35-40 instead of whacking the low-hanging 2* fruit for 25 points. They just weren't coming up in my nodes this time for whatever reason. I finally started seeing maxed out teams once I got to 600 so it does seem like that threshold is still there. Maybe BoP really messed things up as I've noticed in the past. I put up 1340 in the last pvp so you'd think that would correct itself pretty quickly
  • gobstopper wrote:
    Fievel wrote:
    I mentioned it in another thread, but I created a new account for my new phone so that I could play on the road, and finally got my characters to a point where I could take on the seed teams in a PVP. I managed to make it to 68 points and suddenly hit the wall of 166 with a few 200+ XForce thrown in for good measure. 68 points.
    I don't see how this is possible. On my beginner account (started during Anniversary Week) I have two 94s now and I hit 300 every single PvP for the token. I have NEVER hit a wall of 166s in any event (even during that PvP where they were messing with MMR). I also almost never get hit by 166s. I don't tank. Win 99% of matches. Just no idea why so many people report seeing the 166 wall with weaker rosters.

I wish I knew. To go with your experience, my main account (on Steam), has several 3* with max covers above lvl 100, and 5 2* maxed, and I usually don't see the wall until around 700, and sometimes not until 800. Not sure if where you place still carries much weight, but I'm usually in the top 50 and always top 100. Then I hear from people who place lower than me with teams weaker than mine that hit the wall around 3-400 and it boggles the mind yet again.
  • Cooper075
    Cooper075 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've had similar experiences for months. I'd get through a round of seed teams and hit the 166 wall immediately - nowadays that means 270 Xforce and Fury but who's keeping track. I would usually slog through PvP till I hit 300 and stop. Last season though I wouldn't hit it until 500-600 points. It was pretty great - that seemed to be the way the game was supposed to be. Unfortunately this season it reverted back to 270s immediately. That's why I focus on PvE. I'd love it if it went back to the gradual scaling.
  • From my experience "the wall" isn't coded to kick in at a given points value. Instead it seems to either be once your score is in the top x% of scores OR when there are no longer any targets at your MMR within x points of your score. I'm not 100% sure which but am leaning towards it being once you are in the top x% of scores.

This is having an impact on what score you see your wall of pain at because of the variance in scores within given time slices. In time slice number 4 or 5, for example, i've been seeing the wall at about 600, in time slice 1 or 2 it will be more like 400-450. The main differences between those time slices, at least from what I can see, is the higher scoring alliances tend to jump into 4 and 5.

OFC it could all have been coincidence but it seems to make sense.