Collection does not equal progression.

Options
Hulk11
Hulk11 Posts: 435
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Some may think that there is a progression system in this game, there is not. The game labels progression rewards to rank progress in a mode, they disperse rewards by points. Still that's not the true intent of the game, to merely plow through a progression of earning red and yellow boosts or 500 iso. This goes towards ranking up your collection only, but your collection is no marker of progress. Sure day one you have only iron man, but getting more characters in your collection is not progress. The only definition of progress in this game, is being number one in sheild rank. Every other mode only stresses collection, to then if you care enough, to try and be number one in leaderboards. There is a great lack in any real progression outside of seeing "progression rewards". My final note is definitely that collection does not equal progression. There are many ways to improve and add to your collection, but that is no marker of progress in the game.

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hulk11 wrote:
    Some may think that there is a progression system in this game, there is not. The game labels progression rewards to rank progress in a mode, they disperse rewards by points. Still that's not the true intent of the game, to merely plow through a progression of earning red and yellow boosts or 500 iso. This goes towards ranking up your collection only, but your collection is no marker of progress. Sure day one you have only iron man, but getting more characters in your collection is not progress. The only definition of progress in this game, is being number one in sheild rank. Every other mode only stresses collection, to then if you care enough, to try and be number one in leaderboards. There is a great lack in any real progression outside of seeing "progression rewards". My final note is definitely that collection does not equal progression. There are many ways to improve and add to your collection, but that is no marker of progress in the game.

Huh? This is highly convoluted.

If I get what you're trying to say, progression by collection does not allow one to progress further in the metagame (aka placement in brackets). Is this really true? Sure, up to a certain point (let's call that point having several 3* characters with 9+ covers). However, after that point, if you've collected enough, you are actually able to progress in the game. Ergo, the central point in your argument is flawed. In any case, your frustration with (presumably) the slowness of progression in this game is evident, and I would echo that frustration. However, I think the blanket statement that you use as your central point really takes away from your overall argument.
  • Hulk11 wrote:

One title. Ten sentences. Eleven opportunities to present a logical argument.
    Seven out of eleven saying exactly the same thing.
    "Final note" merely restates title and other sentences. Circular argument and little real information given.
    Would not make debate team. May have career in politics.
  • I don't care about being number one on the leader board. I like collecting new characters and having fun.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    Hulk11 wrote:

One title. Ten sentences. Eleven opportunities to present a logical argument.
    Seven out of eleven saying exactly the same thing.
    "Final note" merely restates title and other sentences. Circular argument and little real information given.
    Would not make debate team. May have career in politics.

Since the progressive items are built into events. Do you mark your progress by each event beaten and it's rewards or the end result, your collection it's built? You'll never remember any completion points, except the main episodes. It's all collection and no sense of progress tracking at all. All of which can be purchased at the expense of your wallet. When I play a game with real progression, no one asks how much I spent. You must play to either get experience or beat a level. With this that's far more complicated to explain. Events are not a must, and completing them are not.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hulk11 wrote:
    I think you have to first define how you view progress.

For me, progress is forward movement. Whenever I get Iso which I use to level up my characters, that's progress. Whenever I get a cover that increases the special attacks of my characters, that's progress. Whenever I get HP that I use to purchase another roster spot, that's progress. When I get a little further in PVP points every week because of the increase in strength and depth of my personal roster... that's progress.

Is there a little indicator telling me that i'm 33% complete of the game goals? No. If that is progression tracking for you, then yes, there is no progression tracking. If i win a battle and I get points, and that brings me closer to the next reward for the event, that is progress.

This most recent PVE, the covers in the progression rewards do me no good because I am cover maxed on those guys except for Loki's covers. It's still progress because I'm working towards getting that cover at 100,000 points.

Edit: I have not spent any money on this game yet. Progression is still possible, albeit slower than if you paid cash, but that is the intent of the game and you can't blame them for it. You know that going into a free game that has micro-transactions.
  • There's a couple problems here: even if you collect all the heroes, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be good with them. Also, you have to level up your heroes both in covers and in levels for them to do any good. If you are having trouble with lvl 90 thugs, you either
    A. Don't have the right heroes,
    B. Don't have the right covers, OR
    C. Don't have the right strategy.

If you posted your full roster in the tips thread, I'm sure there'd be tons of people who could help you figure out who to concentrate on so that you have
    A. An A and B PVP team.
    B. At least 2 PVE teams,
    C. A PVE - Goon team.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does the OP have as complaint? Or a point? What are we discussing?
    There's no cumulative score that transcends season to season or event to event, if that's what you mean. There's no cumulative record that people can go back and plot out the progress in a graph. So rosters and the strength of that roster is about the best way to measure at any given time.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    There's no cumulative score that transcends season to season or event to event, if that's what you mean. There's no cumulative record that people can go back and plot out the progress in a graph. So rosters and the strength of that roster is about the best way to measure at any given time.

Sorta a disappointment rather. To me I have no way to track what I've done in this game. Since covers can be sold at any time, I don't feel your current roster is an accurate way to keep track of progress.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulk11 wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:

Sorta a disappointment rather. To me I have no way to track what I've done in this game. Since covers can be sold at any time, I don't feel your current roster is an accurate way to keep track of progress.
    So what then? You want a trophy case? Some Finished ___ Place ribbons?
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you're that concerned about it, you can create a spreadsheet of your own at home, and track whatever it is you feel is important.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Progress is going to mean something different to everyone. Some are just collectors so they track how many covers they still need. Some just want to score as many pvp points as possible. Some are hardcore grinders and might keep track of how many pve they've top 2'd. You might look at a roster like colog's and say "pshaw he bought a ton of covers, he hasn't really progressed" but he might be after something totally different (ISO or first place finishes, or awesome combos with characters you would never even think to use). On the opposite side of things you have f2pers who might see progress simply as keeping up with new covers and how many guys they can get to 166.

Simply put the game is a different thing for different people so find what makes it fun for you and give yourself a challenge that let's you track your progress. And let others have their own ideas of fun and progress without imposing yourself on them.

Happy holidays!!!
  • Hulk11
    Options
    Those are some good examples. Still for me I play games on Pc, consoles and an android device. Most of which have a very definitive line of progress, and I'd say have a progression system built in the game, where I feel this game has none. Some may like that and some may not. Still I'll give my comparisons, and that's what makes me believe there is no progression in this game.

Pc. So I play league of legends while I take time off mpq, since that's my primary way of playing this game. In League you play on an account just like this, we all have accounts to play on. While my account gains levels, I start at lvl 1 and go to 30. Here there is no such thing. The benefits of leveling up grants me powers to any character I decide to play and never go away.

Consoles. I do play cod at times, and that's the most simple idea of progression with again my account leveling as I play.

Android. I play plants vs zombies 2, and angry birds. Both use a simple planned campaign or levels to beat to progress forward.

Now mpq my account never levels, new missions become unlocked every week and require no progression to earn them. Anything that is progressed can be sold as iso. In games with a progression you cannot sell progress, it's earned and cannot be sold. That's the element of a collection and not progress I'm referring to.
  • Hulk11 wrote:

that may be the case for you, but for other people what they classify as "progression" is different.

for me i'm mainly playing the game for the new characters, seeing what Marvel are bringing out next and collecting what i can, for me thats always been the appeal, i like collecting things and complete set, i would like to have all characters fully covered and ideally have them maxed level. I'm not interested in getting #1 in every event, i do try and help my alliance though
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulk11 wrote:
    Those are some good examples. Still for me I play games on Pc, consoles and an android device. Most of which have a very definitive line of progress, and I'd say have a progression system built in the game, where I feel this game has none. Some may like that and some may not. Still I'll give my comparisons, and that's what makes me believe there is no progression in this game.

Pc. So I play league of legends while I take time off mpq, since that's my primary way of playing this game. In League you play on an account just like this, we all have accounts to play on. While my account gains levels, I start at lvl 1 and go to 30. Here there is no such thing. The benefits of leveling up grants me powers to any character I decide to play and never go away.

Consoles. I do play cod at times, and that's the most simple idea of progression with again my account leveling as I play.

Android. I play plants vs zombies 2, and angry birds. Both use a simple planned campaign or levels to beat to progress forward.

Now mpq my account never levels, new missions become unlocked every week and require no progression to earn them. Anything that is progressed can be sold as iso. In games with a progression you cannot sell progress, it's earned and cannot be sold. That's the element of a collection and not progress I'm referring to.
    Progression here is the daily reward. It is a clear cut measuring bar
  • Hulk11
    Options
    devilyevon wrote:
    that may be the case for you, but for other people what they classify as "progression" is different.

This is true, we all have different things we can progress at. Though the game does not employ any system of doing so, it's merely personal tracking, and not in the game. I can't name one thing that stops you from doing something other than lack of wanting to pay. That's the lamest progression I've ever heard of. I could easily drop cash at a ridiculous rate to buy slots, covers, iso and have zero gametime to achieve that. It's certainly possible to do that, and say I made progress, but the game has no part in providing that progression, nor me playing through the game to achieve that. It just doesn't exist.

It's very disappointing cause we all prefer essential progression versus having none.

Daily rewards is a simple gifting system, with a day tracker. The correlation to actual events are none.

It's a collectibles game only, without progression and it works for them. How?, I really don't want to know lol.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    a93d590a864063455e76d2d27b794d1b8f93485c58d9baacc9eedff3cdc03373.jpg
  • Hulk11
    Options
    That's hilarious. Yes I've definitely stopped playing for now, "my progress bar" has been halted. Bored of looking at those ridiculous pve nodes.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    088c41885ffe04ffabafcae746c29f74