Where do you really go to get 3 star covers?

Options
Hulk11
Hulk11 Posts: 435
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm sorta befuddled as to where you get these 3 star covers, and I'm not even talking about brand new ones. I have characters I've had for an extremely long time, I haven't been playing all year, but regardless I've had some covers for a really long time and never got more covers for them. I'm talking about the old junk like spiderman, patch wolverine, punisher, iron man 40. These never seem to show up anymore, or ever for that matter.

Comments

• brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Many have been vaulted, which creates an imbalance between veteran players and anyone new/casual.

Others just show up eventually. I feel like I get at least one spiderman a week.
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Options
    I mean IM40 and Punisher are currently vaulted, so you won't be getting them from token pulls. And Patch was vaulted until the start of this season, so you probably don't have too many pulls of him either. They've tended to vault the older characters first, so it's partially that. Here is a handy list of which characters are currently vaulted: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19997 (they really need to have this available in game or in the official help pages thingy though).

It's just luck regarding Spidey and any other 3* character from token pulls though, even the featured tokens (from PvE and PvP events) only slightly boost the chance of one character over another. As the "older" characters get vaulted the proportion of newer characters in the token pool is greater so it feels like you aren't getting any more covers for the older characters. Obviously with enough token pulls you'll eventually get one of those characters, but remember the chance for each individual 3* is so low, there is a 95+% chance (can't remember the exact percentage for each 3*) of not receiving them.

In the meantime, try to win the covers when their PvPs come up, as happened last season when they featured a whole series of older characters before they got vaulted.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I figure I'll get one 3* cover in every event, and occasionally get lucky with a second one. I play a lot of lightning rounds, and all the recruit tokens you get there add up very quickly and I get the occasional gold token pull from those. Plus a top 100 finish there nets another Heroic. So I probably get 1 - 2 gold tokens a week from that. It takes a long time, but eventually they all add up.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a freemium game do there are 2 ways to progress, time or money.
    Play a lot or buy a lot of cover packs
  • The place you go to really get 3* covers is to a top100 alliance. Being in a top100 accelerates your progress by 33-50% in that you get one extra cover per PVP. It's the fastest way I know of to up your game, other than dropping cash money.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since June 18th, so basically 6 months of tracking. (I'm including 4*s in the count, for simplicity):

16 from standard tokens (916 opened)
    14 from the anniversary tokens (35 reg, 1 10 pack)
    85 from all other tokens (363 singles, 70 from 10 packs)
    9 from Daily Rewards
    18 from Alliance Rewards (we weren't top 100 much)
    152 from event rewards (PvE & PvP)
    2 from PvE freebies (Hulk/Sentry)
    43 from Progression

339 total. Excluding the newest characters, at least 7 of everyone except Doom, Loki, and cMags (my personal unicorn).
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    This is a freemium game do there are 2 ways to progress, time or money.
    Play a lot or buy a lot of cover packs
    Do not buy cover packs, ever. The chance of getting a particular 3* character is so small that you are throwing your money away. If you decide to get covers using HP, buy individual covers for the one character you are trying to level. It is cheaper in the long run.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A good top 100 alliance, that extra cover makes a huge difference.
  • But I don't have enough high level characters to compete with the veteran players after hitting the 600 mark.
    How many top 100 alliances will accept players with only 600 score per pvp?
  • nivek wrote:
    But I don't have enough high level characters to compete with the veteran players after hitting the 600 mark.
    How many top 100 alliances will accept players with only 600 score per pvp?

you should give up the game before you feel angry with it.

Now PVP is much more difficult to get top 100 if you are not within 166 club
    Now 3* cover pool have lots of character and very diffciult to collect any one of them to " useful" stage. Perpare to get 50 3* cover with 25 character with each get 2 cover...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    camichan wrote:
    The place you go to really get 3* covers is to a top100 alliance. Being in a top100 accelerates your progress by 33-50% in that you get one extra cover per PVP. It's the fastest way I know of to up your game, other than dropping cash money.

this is true, but it is quite hard for anyone without a decent 3* roster to get onto a top 100 pvp alliance. Wasn't the average score something like 830 pts. per event last season.

It requires shield and some luck to get 700 pts with an all 2* roster (even with the best possible pvp lineup of ares/obw).

Also, as support for benben's statement: 25 3* with 2-4 covers each more or less describes the majority of my roster. It takes several months to scrape together a single cover-maxed 3*. and nowadays that 3* is likely to be only a mediocre character since most of the best are vaulted (lthor, HT, BP, cMags, even Punisher and psylocke).
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    camichan wrote:
    The place you go to really get 3* covers is to a top100 alliance. Being in a top100 accelerates your progress by 33-50% in that you get one extra cover per PVP. It's the fastest way I know of to up your game, other than dropping cash money.

this is true, but it is quite hard for anyone without a decent 3* roster to get onto a top 100 pvp alliance. Wasn't the average score something like 830 pts. per event last season.

It requires shield and some luck to get 700 pts with an all 2* roster (even with the best possible pvp lineup of ares/obw).

700 is nearly unreachable. My highest is 650 and rank only 70-80
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    700 is really hard with obw/ares, especially post anniversary event (when I have found that the 166s start showing up earlier).

Basically you need to line up some 30+ point opponents to rush up from the 490s to around 50-610. Then shield and hope for a few defensive wins.

While shielded, spend several hundred iso skipping opponents endlessly for beatable teams. This takes a while after 600, but is generally possible with enough patience.

Break shield and climb from the low 600s as high as possible (usually I can get all three pre-arranged matches, but after that it's a race against the clock to both find beatable opponents and beat them before getting it). Shielding around 660-675 is the minimum goal. Once you are there, a few defensive wins might push you above 700.

It's not easy to do, and it IS easy to get hit for 60+ points by lingering unshielded for just a bit to long. Not recommended for the faint of heart
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Where do I go to get 3 star.png covers?

My wallet. icon_e_wink.gif

And of course Heros-R-Us, one of the best, kick @$$ alliances around. (sorry, just had to toss a shout out to my team mates here icon_lol.gif ). I owe a large part of my covers to them since you can only buy covers 2 through 5. Have to win the first one. A top alliance make a very big difference.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sometimes you get lucky with the tokens. I tend to get clusters of certain star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters. Lately it has been a lot of Hulks, before that it was Falcon... You get plenty of tokens, so plenty of chances to get something you need (though you'll likely just get something you sell for ISO...)
  • You put money under your pillow and the 3 star fairy will replace it with covers in the morning...
  • Punisher has been vaulted awhile and patch was just unvaulted. I have the same problem as you with im40 (only gotten 2 covers and they were both from standards). I've earned 10 spidey covers from events since i started playing, and 3 from tokens. He is my one and only maxed covered character (no way in training him to 166 right now). Also, got a fourth spidey from tokens recently. Mainly, it's just how many and what you get in tokens.