Only uncommon covers are buffed in pvp

Options
Hulk11
Hulk11 Posts: 435
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
This strategy of putting uncommon characters in the pvp cycle is a great way to lure people into buying them, but it also makes the gameplay suck too. There's commonly used covers and then there's uncommon, all the uncommon get thrown into pvp, and it's sorta lame. First they're uncommon for a reason, lack of useability, hard to find etc. Still lack of interest and useability versus other covers has to be the main one. So why put them into the pvp battles and buff them if they are sorta useless? No one really wants to level them in the first place, so it either suggests buying useless covers, or selling the deadweights as iso. Players will still fight the pvp battles, but leveling them isn't the priority versus other ones. If I had to suggest something, it'd be thrown in the more common characters that people are interested in having buffed in pvp from time to time. That 3 star cap was the last buff, now it's she hulk. There's better options out there. Next is sentry, and it looks like he's in the next pve mode. So some use there, but in the pvp he's still ****, and uncommon.

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I won't discount the "get people to buy covers" angle - which let's face it, they're a business so it's certainly one of their goals - I honestly think they are simply trying to rotate through the characters they have at their disposal (i.e. the non-vaulted ones). They also seem to hamstring themselves a little bit by trying to offer pvp rewards for characters used in the current/upcoming pve, so that people who need them have another avenue to win them. I don't see that as a negative personally. The other way this is pronounced is that there is always a new character pvp (once every 2 weeks basically), so that one will always feature "uncommon" covers. Also to get more of those new character covers out to us they will repeat it again after another 3-4 weeks or so. With only 3 sets of covers offered at that point, most people still don't have a ton of covers for them so it's still an "uncommon" one. I honestly don't see any way around this.

They'll make it around to "common" or "more useful" characters soon enough, so just be patient and win some other covers in the meantime. You also might find that she-hulk or cap (or someone else) is way more useful than you thought.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    What is the likelyhood that more common characters get put in the pvp? Seems this round and the last are very similar and no commons are gonna get put in. Even something simple like adding the 1 star characters, and getting them buffed, would make it more interesting. I'm just seeing the pattern from the last one and this one, but that means there won't be that change-up I'm talking about, where even a 1 star would even get buffed cause it's just too common. Plus the tie-ins with pve are crazy, that it almost doesn't even allow it. That balance of power was the latest change-up, but that was only between seasons. Are we really going to have to wait another 20 days just to play that semi-interesting mode?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only time one-star characters get boosted is in Heroic mode when most of your roster is unavailable. I think they do a fairly good job of rotating the boosted characters - the only constant I have seen is that there is always a red/green/yellow two-star character boosted (Ares, Thor or Wolverine). Actually the rotation is better among two-star characters as there aren't as many, so they get to shine more.
    The villains don't get boosted in storyline events though which is a bit of a handicap...
  • I"m on board the train. For now on, only Yelena should be featured in the PVP's. Every PVP will be Yelena. Yelena will be buffed in every PVP.

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • There wouldn't be much point to boost characters that everyone have. It amounts to a blanket increase in difficulty in PvE via community scaling and in PvP they'd all be canceled out exactly. When Ares was released and he had a 275% or so buff in a PvP event, people had maxed out Ares by the end of the first week and some had him maxed at the first time he's used.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    There wouldn't be much point to boost characters that everyone have. It amounts to a blanket increase in difficulty in PvE via community scaling and in PvP they'd all be canceled out exactly. When Ares was released and he had a 275% or so buff in a PvP event, people had maxed out Ares by the end of the first week and some had him maxed at the first time he's used.

That can happen with any character really. I assume most players did that in order to rank a good and effective character up. That goes back to putting useful and effective characters in pvp. Most useful characters are indeed ranked up, but that's sorta the counter to this pvp system. Lots of uncommons will go through this system before a good one returns.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the developers determined that people weren't motivated enough to buy cover packs when they could use one- or two-star characters in PvP. That's why we get Hollowpoint kiss instead of Widowmaker, Cage Match instead of Best there is, Balance of Power instead of Lone Star or No Holds Barred...
    I'd really like to see No Man's Land again though. Lots of fun female characters now...
  • Even 3* Daken wasn't immediately maxed out and he was probably the easiest no brainer character to max right away (Sentry took some time for people to realize he was overpowered, but Daken was clearly overpowered at the start). It simply costs a lot less to max a 2* or a 1* compared to a 3*, which is good because there wouldn't be much of a point for variety to an event where everyone has a maxed featured character. People complain about unfair but if everything is fair and everyone has every character in the game, why keep playing? Okay you can play for the game itself too, but I'm pretty sure progression is at least part of the motivation to keep playing.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Even 3* Daken wasn't immediately maxed out and he was probably the easiest no brainer character to max right away (Sentry took some time for people to realize he was overpowered, but Daken was clearly overpowered at the start). It simply costs a lot less to max a 2* or a 1* compared to a 3*, which is good because there wouldn't be much of a point for variety to an event where everyone has a maxed featured character. People complain about unfair but if everything is fair and everyone has every character in the game, why keep playing? Okay you can play for the game itself too, but I'm pretty sure progression is at least part of the motivation to keep playing.

Good points, but how long is the turnaround really for the good characters to return to pvp, D3 and the players all know when a character is good and that's gotta determine the return rate in the pvp. Is it really equal amongst all the characters, or is it picking names from a hat, or neither?
  • Hulk11 wrote:
    Good points, but how long is the turnaround really for the good characters to return to pvp, D3 and the players all know when a character is good and that's gotta determine the return rate in the pvp. Is it really equal amongst all the characters, or is it picking names from a hat, or neither?

Other than the fact that any newly introduced character is going to immediately have an event that offers the said character followed by one that features the said character, it sure looks like they're picking names out of a hat amongst the nonvaulted 3*s. It's because it takes time for even the clearly overpowered characters to be maxed that's why they rotate them because it gives you a strategic edge if you are able to max someone while the others are behind the curve. Even Daken wasn't immediately maxed, so if you maxed him at the cost of likely some money you had an edge. A character like Dr. Octopus isn't going to maxed anytime soon, but he still seems to show up fairly often as the featured character. Now maxing him also has less of an impact, but a level 249 boosted Dr. Octopus still gives you a better shot at winning than a loaner level 60 Dr. Octopus. Is that worth it? Well maybe if his featured event had Thor as 4* and Blade as 3* as the reward.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Hulk11 wrote:

Other than the fact that any newly introduced character is going to immediately have an event that offers the said character followed by one that features the said character, it sure looks like they're picking names out of a hat amongst the nonvaulted 3*s. It's because it takes time for even the clearly overpowered characters to be maxed that's why they rotate them because it gives you a strategic edge if you are able to max someone while the others are behind the curve. Even Daken wasn't immediately maxed, so if you maxed him at the cost of likely some money you had an edge. A character like Dr. Octopus isn't going to maxed anytime soon, but he still seems to show up fairly often as the featured character. Now maxing him also has less of an impact, but a level 249 boosted Dr. Octopus still gives you a better shot at winning than a loaner level 60 Dr. Octopus. Is that worth it? Well maybe if his featured event had Thor as 4* and Blade as 3* as the reward.

Only the 3 star characters are placed in pvp?
  • Hulk11 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Hulk11 wrote:

Only the 3 star characters are placed in pvp?

You mean as featured character? Outside of themed events like Balance of Power or Nefarious Foes, it sure looks like only 3* are featured. They used to make 2* featured but these fights inevitably turn into "Ares vs everyone" or "Thor vs everyone", which isn't very exciting and doesn't make D3 any money either, and that was before 2* cover didn't drop from PvP. But even then people had no problem coming up with a maxed 2* when that character has a 275% buff and instantly killed anyone that isn't that guy.
  • Hulk11
    Options
    I suppose with the rush of the 4 stars coming, it'll be only 4 stars in pvp.
  • I think i m enough for this game but playing here is much better.get

I m only climbing form 2* to 3* and drop back for the character rotation

PVP result is suck as getting remove by top 100 at lat few hours by 166....

PVE request non sleep