Scaling

Options
chaos01
chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
First I like the Gauntlet don't get me wrong. But having tried and failed the 38th node (jugs, mags, Loki) for the 10th time I have a bone to pick. I have every character but my highest level is a 114 lcap. Many other three stars in the 104 range. However this node my enemies are 210. Close to double my highest guy.

You get to the point with PVE where having a developing roster hinders further progress. I would level my guys higher but have heard of nightmare scaling after this happens so I am unwilling until I have enough ISO to level 3-4 guys to max. All I can say is that I am frustrated for being penalized for having a semi decent roster.

Comments

• That node cannot be beaten without OBW and purple boost. You can add whatever damage dealers you want. Avoid matching 4 before Loki is dead (he's your first target - second is mags)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    your scaling isn't any crazier than anyone else, a balanced and diverse roster as you say you have should be an advantage not the hindrance you claim. don't be afraid to use the boosted star.pngstar.png
  • I have a pretty hefty roster and that one was still tough. I think I did it with the star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_thor.pngicon_wolverine.png team, backed up with icon_hood.png , but it may have been star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_hood.png and OBW icon_blackwidow.png - that team definitely took out the final node of 370+ (they're 395 now) icon_deadpool.png XF icon_wolverine.png GoT icon_thor.png

If you've got them all covered, icon_captainamerica.png with double AP denial is a beast. Go in with iso8.png AP boosts at the very least, and possibly a set of +all just to be safe. A bad cascade can always end you, but if you're denying AP they shouldn't be able to fire any skills. I targeted down icon_loki.png first so I could match-4+ whenever possible with impunity, then icon_magneto.png , then icon_juggernaut.png . Stun juggs though, whenever possible. Chip away, stun, and build protects with Cap, return his shields faster with Hood, and keep that purple pulling their AP.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you for those that replied. I used my 114 lcap , 104 hood, max OBW and on my second attempt defeated the team. This seems like a beast combo that I had not tried before.

Cheers,

Chaos01
  • ark123 wrote:
    That node cannot be beaten without OBW and purple boost. You can add whatever damage dealers you want. Avoid matching 4 before Loki is dead (he's your first target - second is mags)

Not to be that guy, but... I (barely) got through it with Hulk/GSBW/Hood and no boosting. icon_e_smile.gif
    My scaling doesn't seem nearly as bad as the topic creator's though. Mine were level 216 despite my highest level being a 166. I haven't done the essential nodes yet, but that doesn't seem like it should account for that much of the difference.
  • Yeah this node seems like it was tough for everyone. I tried several combos before I threw OBW into the mix. I tried a maxed out hood, a 130 x force and a 135 hulk with boosts. It was not pretty. Just for laughs I tried a combo that worked pretty well throughout the gauntlet which wad a maxed team of MNMags, CStorm and MHawkeye with boosts. They were slaughtered.

After resisting the urge to throw my iPad across the room I took a break and when I came back I swapped out the hulk for OBW. After two bad boards I finally got a good board and between her and the hood no one on the AI team used any powers at all. And I made sure I healed everyone at every opportunity so that by the end of the match they actually came out looking fairly decent.

And the key is definitely taking out Loki first. Loki's new passive is pretty good.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    That node cannot be beaten without OBW and purple boost. You can add whatever damage dealers you want. Avoid matching 4 before Loki is dead (he's your first target - second is mags)

Not to be that guy, but... I (barely) got through it with Hulk/GSBW/Hood and no boosting. icon_e_smile.gif
    My scaling doesn't seem nearly as bad as the topic creator's though. Mine were level 216 despite my highest level being a 166. I haven't done the essential nodes yet, but that doesn't seem like it should account for that much of the difference.
    I'll be that guy too. I got through it with XForce, Goddess, and a one-yellow cover IM40 that I keep around for this very purpose. I used ISO boosts and used IM40s yellow to generate reds for Goddess. XForce's black picks up green thanks to Juggs, so I used XForce's green power to take out Mags or Loki first. (I think it was Loki so I could then do match-4s.) Started IM40s countdown to get enough reds while I collected blues. Stunned Juggs and one-shot the other of Mags/Loki with Goddess' red. Then I picked away at Juggs, using the triple-AP to make sure I always had enough blues to stun him again. Eventually, I had enough charged tiles and red AP to do a double red Goddess.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    I went with hood, cap, 2* mags for most of the tough nodes. Boost blue/purple if necessary and kill loki first. Switched to 2y im40 instead of mags when necessary. I usually ended up in a state like the old spidey days - the entire enemy team stunned as I cycled through blue shields. OBW could replace hood, but I don't think I used her through the gauntlet.
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I tried it several times without boosting, but after wiping several times with my best guys, I broke down and boosted. I went with star.pngstar.pngstar.png Thor, OBW, and Storm, boosted +3 all AP and +3 blue/purple. My first match was a match-4 in blue, which of course set off Loki's passive. However, that match gave me enough blue to fire AGD, so Mischief never activated, and I wrecked him shortly after that. Thor and steals did the rest.
  • If you can beat that node without iso 8 boosts, your scaling really isn't that bad.

There's really not much trick to that fight because you can't really do any match 4s before you get rid of Loki so you just got to pray for a good board that allows you to have the necessary colors you need but not have any match 4s, or a match 4 that'd finish off Loki the next turn since that's all the time you get. Once Loki is gone it's a standard fight against the way overpowered Juggernaut but everyone should know how to deal with him by now. If your scaling is especially bad you could try having Captain Marvel or Hulk and take an Unstoppable Crash/Illusions on purpose, but that'd obviously be very gutsy since if they get any red/blue you'd still be dead.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Went in with X-force/3*Daken/Colossus and got destroyed by CMags when targeting Loki...

Went back in with the same team, but targeted CMags first....made life MUCH easier for me personally....
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    And now you know OP: Even if you come up with a smart team, outrageous scaling leaves you at the mercy of dumb luck. Especially is you dare run any of those wimpy boosted 2*s on anything near level 200+. one bad cascade and they drop like flies.

Such a great way of designing a "challenge".
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gauntlet is like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle, where once you try 5 pieces that don't fit together, you have to wait 2.5 hours to try some more.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Did the same thing with star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_hood.png (mainly with the latter two) I was actually fortunate, manage to deny them redtile.png & matching 5 purpletile.png (earning turns) to generate greentile.png KO'ing icon_loki.pngicon_magneto.png before icon_juggernaut.png KO'd himself (leaving me with one character active), all without boosts. Surprised I scraped through on my first attempt.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Gauntlet is like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle, where once you try 5 pieces that don't fit together, you have to wait 2.5 hours to try some more.

With the added handicap that you might not own all the requisite puzzle pieces.
  • chaos01 wrote:
    First I like the Gauntlet don't get me wrong. But having tried and failed the 38th node (jugs, mags, Loki) for the 10th time I have a bone to pick. I have every character but my highest level is a 114 lcap. Many other three stars in the 104 range. However this node my enemies are 210. Close to double my highest guy.

You get to the point with PVE where having a developing roster hinders further progress. I would level my guys higher but have heard of nightmare scaling after this happens so I am unwilling until I have enough ISO to level 3-4 guys to max. All I can say is that I am frustrated for being penalized for having a semi decent roster.

Should try it at 395 icon_razz.gif

More than double tour levels and any of 6 green 6 red or 5 purple usually lead to you starting over because of added match damage