[Shield changes] For the devs, to avoid having to sift thru

Options
lukewin
lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I've copied/pasted what I think is the pertinent info from the 13 pages of the Updates to Shields post. I wish I would've copied the usernames as well as the posts, but I didn't think to attribute til I was halfway thru. To all the posters in the thread, sorry that I didn't do it. If you have any concise summaries/suggestions you would like to add to the thread, please do so. If you are looking to discuss the updates, please do it in the other thread.

Here is the summary and suggestions that you should take into account.

Summary
-8 hr cooldown on 3 hr shield is too much
-PVP will become grindfest like PVE
-The shield CD is also going to exacerbate the problem of people scoring decently in dry time slices.
-This change will not help 2* - 3* transitioners, and I don't think it is meant to.
-The whole point of shields is to allow people to play during the time they have available to them without losing all of their progress. People aren't paying not to play the game by using shields, they are paying so that the hours of time they put into playing the game don't completely go to waste.

Suggestions
-Adjust cooldown period on the shields
-Adjust progression reward threshold
-A much simpler and appropriate solution would have been to limit the amount of shields per event (for example 5 shield per event).
-Introduce different increments of shields, 12 hr
-Cap the amount of points you can lose due to attacks, or cap the number of times you can be attacked
-If you hit a certain threshold you can't fall past it,
-Implement changes in offseason, not midseason
-Skipping a player completely removes them from the queue. There are 1000's of players who play the game. Stop showing me the same 4 or 5, and stop charging me a skip tax to see the same player I just skipped.
-Stop putting multiple versions of ourselves in other's queues. There is no reason I should be hit by 4 or 5 people at the same time every time I'm in a match.
-Once you defeat someone, give them a cooling off period - something like you cannot see them again in your queue for an hour. There are enough opponents out there if you actually give everyone access to them instead of showing us such a tiny few.
-Make shielded players visible to attacks. Just because they are shielded doesn't mean they aren't there. This only works with the cooling down period though, as this could easily be exploited as it has in the past.
-since shield-hopping is going to be heavily nerfed, how about this as a balance? Give out the progression reward as soon as the match ends before calculating the points lost from defensive losses while you were playing the match.

These are problems that should be addressed, if you are going to choose to tinker with something.

In your opinion, please rank what you think the devs should be prioritizing: 1) Character balance, 2) New revenue streams, 3) New game modes, 4) New story content, 5) Fixing MMR, 6) Cover dilution, 7) Time slice scoring discrepancies, 8) Bugs, 9) Shield hopping.

Comments

• lukewin wrote:
    -This change will not help 2* - 3* transitioners, and I don't think it is meant to.

they doesnt mean to help. but 2* - 3* player are in the bloodbath every PVP for top 100! yes 100 not 50 ! Let the top guy face it!

win 25 and lost 100 is totally FUN!

bloodbath in last hours for top 25 is reasonable for them-\ I perfectly support it. higher your rank more fight you need to be. There is NO sense that rank is 50-100 fight much more than 1 -10
  • tmurf5387
    tmurf5387 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    As for the cooldown. How about you make the shields cooldown the equivalent to the duration of the shield. A 3 hour shield would have a 3 hour cooldown etc.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sontar wrote:
    1) Make skipping break shields. Shields are intended for stepping away from the game. Browsing through targets especially with out-of-game communication provides too much of an advantage.
    So when you have a sea of 3-pt matches, you either have to fight them or lose your shield? Or if you are a transitioning player and get three nodes with 270 X-Force/Goddess? Not even remotely a solution.
    4) Whenever you break your shield you can not reshield for 15min.
    So while you are fighting those 3-pt matches or losing the the 270 X-Force/Goddess you have no choice but to fight, you might complete two or three matches for a few points, but you will lose hundreds due to attacks by the zombie hordes. Talk about unfun.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sontar wrote:
    There are only two possibilities, either you want to play at a specific time or you don't.
    If you interact with a PvP you should be eligible to everything that goes with it including being attacked and loosing points. If you want to spent time away from the game shields should fully protect you until you decided to play again at which point you loose the protection and have to fend for yourself.

You are not supposed to get any advantage out of a shield other than not being attacked for a specific period of time.

All that your post does is defend the status quo of shield hopping. Shields are not supposed to be a means to score higher instead it should be a defensive measure used when you are not playing the game. Yes PvP is broken and yes shield hopping is a player solution to this broken game mode but that does not mean it should be defended. D3 clearly intends to "fixing" shieldhopping though the cooldown solution is quite arbitrary and only shift the problem around.
    Of course shields are supposed to be a means to score higher. They were designed so that players could avoid losing hundreds of points when they reached a threshold where they became attractive targets for other players. They were designed so that players did not waste hours climbing in the game only to lose those points in a few minutes.

You must have never played the game before shields or are not someone who scores high enough for shields to be a factor. I hop because, once I reach a certain level, I can only do a maximum of two matches before I get hammered by players with scores far lower than mine. So, for example, while I might be able to line up two 40-pt matches for a break when I'm at 900, once those matches are done (and sometimes during that second match), I'm getting hit for 40+ point losses. So for every subsequent match after the two I did initially, most of which would take skipping just to get 25 points, I will be suffering net losses. And the longer I am unshielded, the more people will have time to queue and defeat me. So while maybe one or two people might hit me in the second or third match, if I'm forced to be unshielded for a fourth match, the number of attacks goes up. I posted a screencap in the other thread of some attacks that bounced off my shield. There were four visible losses by my defense team and more attacks that the screen did not show. But the ones that were shown were all 45+, so they reflect at least 180 points I would have lost without shields. How many matches at high level would I have to fight to make up for that loss? At least 5, possibly more. Why would I or anyone else perform the sisyphean task of climbing in that case?
  • lukewin wrote:
    -Stop putting multiple versions of ourselves in other's queues. There is no reason I should be hit by 4 or 5 people at the same time every time I'm in a match.

Just wanted to address this one. I'm sure someone probably already pointed this out in the original thread but I didn't see it.

I don't see how having only one targetable version of yourself would work. Everyone has 3 nodes of targets, therefore there are 3x as many targets in nodes as there is targetable population. Shielding removes you from being targeted but doesn't prevent you from finding new targets. Simply put unless you only give a single node to target and stop shielded people targeting it would be logistically impossible. If a limit could be set but would need to be >3 versions possibly up to 5-6 depending on the shielded population.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    kovnein wrote:
    lukewin wrote:

Just wanted to address this one. I'm sure someone probably already pointed this out in the original thread but I didn't see it.

I don't see how having only one targetable version of yourself would work. Everyone has 3 nodes of targets, therefore there are 3x as many targets in nodes as there is targetable population. Shielding removes you from being targeted but doesn't prevent you from finding new targets. Simply put unless you only give a single node to target and stop shielded people targeting it would be logistically impossible. If a limit could be set but would need to be >3 versions possibly up to 5-6 depending on the shielded population.

It also would be ripe for exploit. You get queued by your alliance mates or relatively inactive players = invulnerable. Given the uproar over a bug letting Yama sit unshielded, imagine what this would look like.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kovnein wrote:
    lukewin wrote:

I think the original post that line was referencing was actually complaining about the inverse. i.e. skipping a person for that node to just be replaced by the same exact person

EDIT or rather NOT skipping, but being hit for -50 and then again for -40 in under 5 minutes because you popped up twice in the queued nodes
  • Sontar wrote:
    Of course shields are supposed to be a means to score higher. They were designed so that players could avoid losing hundreds of points when they reached a threshold where they became attractive targets for other players. They were designed so that players did not waste hours climbing in the game only to lose those points in a few minutes.

You must have never played the game before shields or are not someone who scores high enough for shields to be a factor. I hop because, once I reach a certain level, I can only do a maximum of two matches before I get hammered by players with scores far lower than mine. So, for example, while I might be able to line up two 40-pt matches for a break when I'm at 900, once those matches are done (and sometimes during that second match), I'm getting hit for 40+ point losses. So for every subsequent match after the two I did initially, most of which would take skipping just to get 25 points, I will be suffering net losses. And the longer I am unshielded, the more people will have time to queue and defeat me. So while maybe one or two people might hit me in the second or third match, if I'm forced to be unshielded for a fourth match, the number of attacks goes up. I posted a screencap in the other thread of some attacks that bounced off my shield. There were four visible losses by my defense team and more attacks that the screen did not show. But the ones that were shown were all 45+, so they reflect at least 180 points I would have lost without shields. How many matches at high level would I have to fight to make up for that loss? At least 5, possibly more. Why would I or anyone else perform the sisyphean task of climbing in that case?
    To answer your last question first, you would/should not. Though outside the ivory tower that is shield hopping the zombie horde (me included) have to do deal with this every single PvP.

I did not play the game before shields where introduced though I did play when loosing in PvP was nearly impossible (3 chances to beat the enemy team which retained its damage, jungle/desert environment tiles, lower level difference between tiers). Shield hopping was/is an awful invention. Those who used it stopped complaining because it made the game mode appear to be fixed (for them) and necessary development to fix the zombie problem ceased. PvP would probably have been fixed probably months ago if there was a backlash similar to the shield cooldown thread.

And just because you do not want or can not participate in shield hopping does not mean that you are casual or not smart enough it means you simply do not engage in P2W so I suggest we keep arguments from authority like "I am probably not capable to do A" or "was not around for B" out of the discussion.
    You should understand that with limits to shield hopping, PvP will become EVEN MORE P2W. Instead of going through multiple 3 hour shields, you will have to pay for 8 and 24 hour ones too. People will be forced to spend 200 HP on health packs more often, as they await shield cooldowns. And it's not like the top alliances will suddenly give up competitive PvP. You still won't be able to beat them. But guess what, that's completely fine. Let the people who want to spend $ (and help fund the game) win something for spending $. If you are a fan of winning through effort alone (grind), look to PvE.

All this shield hop nerf will do is increase the effort required (grind) in exchange for fewer rewards.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This post does a pretty good job of summarizing the player concerns. I'm going to lock it so it doesn't turn into a second discussion thread, and sticky it for a few days do it doesn't fall off the front page from inactivity.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    (Deleted Sontar's posts in this thread per request. It's kind of rough getting downvoted for a position you can no longer reply to further explain.)
This discussion has been closed.