Gauntlet and Required Characters

I really feel they should remove required heroes from the Gauntlet, or at the minimum just have one that is the same for each level. It really sucks fighting your way through and finding out you don't have the required hero on the 2nd side branch of the 2nd level and therefor can't get the 3* hero (Mystique in my case). There is no way to even tell ahead of time what heroes are required (as far as I can tell). At least with other PvE you can grind the other nodes and potentially get the rewards, in the Gauntlet you are screwed. If they really want required heroes than at least give us the 3* hero for finishing the main rung of the gauntlet. The side rings would just be for extra nice rewards. Am I alone on this?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess the way they see it, anyone who can compete at the harder levels of the gauntlet should've been able to get at least 1 of the required covers in the previous events. But yeah, it would be good to know ahead of time what the requirements will be.
  • The boosted 3* characters are typically required.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can get Mystique in the third part without playing any essential nodes. Then you can go back to the second part, play the essential Mystique nodes and get a She-Hulk cover. As long as you have Captain Marvel you should be able to get Loki.
  • I see I can get Mystique in the next gauntlet level now that I finished the previous level (side branch excluded) and from the comment above. Not sure if I am strong enough to do it but at least it gives me a chance. Still think it's a bit much to have (I assume from other comments) 3 required 3* characters even if you can potentially get some of them if you have the first required character. Even if I manage to get Mystique it will likely be quite hard to beat the nodes with a fairly unless 1 cover character in one of my slots. Gauntlet is so hard already. I just think it would be more fair and more fun if the "best" prize was received from completing the main leg of the gauntlet. Have the side branches just be some nice extra prizes for those with the right characters. If the devs ever decide to modify the gauntlet I think this would be a good idea.
  • stevenbrule
    stevenbrule Posts: 62 Match Maker
    That said, it would be nice to indicate in the "Event Rules" area who has required nodes - especially if there is more than one "required" character.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    I feel like this kind of complaint is like a 17 year old complaining that they can't get into bars. It goes away a short time later. Just give it a little more time, you'll get one of those essential covers, and you'll be able to play those essentials forever. Then the complaint will change to, "why am I forced to use under-covered characters in super-death matches!" Using She-Hulk in the final stretch of the Gauntlet was a tribulation. I had to pump 20,000 ISO into her to get through.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    I don't know; the OP may have a point; it might be nice to know which characters are required for essential nodes. Virtually every PVE includes 'essential' nodes; we can usually guess who is required there because it is often the newest character to be awarded.

If it is widely understood that the buffed characters are also going to be required in Gauntlet nodes, that is a useful bit of information that I will commit to memory.

(When gauntlet opens I am usually most concerned with which 3 characters are populating node 42, since that node is often the Everest of the event and many teams don't make it to the summit.)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think I have ever seen an event where a non-buffed character was required. It's always the ones that are boosted.