Don't require 4* characters for essential nodes.

Options
brisashi
brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Please do not have an event requiring elektra like you did with 4* thor. It isn't fun, and all it does is widen the gap between the top players in competetive alliances and everyone else.

Even purchasing cover packs in this situation is not a viable option since the % rate is so abyssmally low. It is entirely feesible that someone could spend an entire stark salary and still not recieve the featured character.

I know you want people to buy covers, and thats fine, but this is a lousy and frustrated way to incentivize. Thanks.

Comments

• Pretty much expect Elektra to be Essential in the Hand event. No question.

What I would suggest, instead, is do an actual character release for a 4*. Don't pretend they are special. Award a single cover all the way down to top 150 of 1000 players. Even better, hand out a free cover for Electra in The Hand event, early, so everyone has one for the essentials.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is basically 100% certain that Elektra will be essential in the pve after she is introduced. (Elektra is a 4*, really?! Don't know much about the character, but that's kind of my point. She seems pretty "b" list, if not "c" list to be a legendary character).

But since it is now completely clear that 4* is the new 3* (and expect 5*s to be released in 2015, maybe to coincide with avengers), the devs really need to (1) start treating 4* like regular rotation characters rather than special cookies, and (2) slightly increase the drop rate of 3* covers. New players won't stay interested if they need to grind for 6-10 months to get a viable 3* roster only to discover that the endgame is dominated by 4* anyway.
  • brisashi
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Pretty much expect Elektra to be Essential in the Hand event. No question.

What I would suggest, instead, is do an actual character release for a 4*. Don't pretend they are special. Award a single cover all the way down to top 150 of 1000 players. Even better, hand out a free cover for Electra in The Hand event, early, so everyone has one for the essentials.

I would actually rather them keep 4* characters rare, but not make them required.

That way everyone can compete but getting a 4* is still awesome and special(ignoring IW of course).

There is still a week and a half until the likelyhood of an elektra essential event. Not too late for D3 to be smart about this.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    Agreed.

Signed.
    -Player with only 2 of the five current star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    I still like the idea of having a loaner for the pve after introduction. Forced use to get people interested in the new character and to see what they could do, but doesn't lock out those who couldn't win her in the previous tournament.

I think the loaner t4or during anniversary week was a big success, and don't see why they wouldn't repeat that kind of experience. Maybe I'm wrong, but getting people interested in the character this way seems more likely to result in cover pack purchases then locking players out.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agreed.

Signed.
    -Player with only 2 of the five current star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters.

As someone with multiple covers of all the ****'s, I agree as well. A 4* should be considered "super-rare" and not required to do well in any events.
  • Nellobee wrote:
    Agreed.

Signed.

As someone with multiple covers of all the ****'s, I agree as well. A 4* should be considered "super-rare" and not required to do well in any events.

sorry at the last PVE event 4* thor is a MUST
  • Elektra will be an essential character in a pve for an older character that most veterans will care little about after grinding for her in the previous pve. Most will hit the top progressive at best and call it a day.

Even when gamora was a new character, veterans played less due to fatigue.
  • Elektra will be an essential character in a pve for an older character that most veterans will care little about after grinding for her in the previous pve. Most will hit the top progressive at best and call it a day.

No, they played less because Gamora blows.
  • I kind of like the idea of a free cover (like they did with Hulk introduction), and the ability to get full covers by scoring highly in the event. There's definitely a time and place for having restricted nodes using the 3* introduced in the past event. This gives a benefit to the winners of previous event - and makes winning important. However, for major introductions like 4* characters, having a bit wider distribution is good. That way everyone can participate and spend money on covers.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    Elektra will be an essential character in a pve for an older character that most veterans will care little about after grinding for her in the previous pve. Most will hit the top progressive at best and call it a day.

Also, burnout from grinding for 4hor
  • Spoit wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Elektra will be an essential character in a pve for an older character that most veterans will care little about after grinding for her in the previous pve. Most will hit the top progressive at best and call it a day.

If it had been an xForce pve right after people would have gone through the same exact process they did with 4thor again.
  • I wouldn't mind if she was required IF event rewarded her for top 150 like it usually does. It will still be grindfest but doable. But please no top 50 like Thor, that was just brutal. I managed to get it and I'm sure I'd make it this time, but I'm not looking forward to another bloodbath for char I'll only need so that I can move my roster forward in next PvE.
  • Spoit
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

If it had been an xForce pve right after people would have gone through the same exact process they did with 4thor again.
    Nah, lots of people already had their x-forces covered already, and since you can prologue heal, there's not as much need for a 2nd one.

I anticipate that the grind for elektra will be worse than usual, but not QUITE as bad as FT was. But then again, all you need is 1 (or 4) other crazies in your bracket
  • brisashi
    Options
    Seems like this is one of the many elements of the game that players don't like but have come to accept as inevitable.
  • Spoit
    Options
    brisashi wrote:
    Seems like this is one of the many elements of the game that players don't like but have come to accept as inevitable.
    It's really the only thing we can do about 99% of the changes
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think a simpler suggestion would be to allow 4* characters in essentials, but no more then one node per sub.

If my memory is working correctly I think that's how it worked in the PVE after IW was introduced. Three different essential nodes with three different required characters.
  • brisashi
    Options
    At the very least they need to not have a reduced draw rate for essential characters.

Expecting players to pay for anything below 5% is absurd.
  • mouser wrote:
    I think a simpler suggestion would be to allow 4* characters in essentials, but no more then one node per sub.

If my memory is working correctly I think that's how it worked in the PVE after IW was introduced. Three different essential nodes with three different required characters.

this only made things worst....missing 1 essential nodes in any sub will effect your whole performance in the event.

I have experenice it...i get top 10 in first 2 sub and the i dont have the essential to do the 3rd one and i get beat form top 10 to top50 in a weeky event. This is totallu suck