Progression Rewards for PVP

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
As a new player (approaching a full 2* team), I had a question about progression rewards in PVP.

I'm only able to get to 300-450ish points before all targets are teams that would be pointless to even attack. I understand that's due to having a sub-par roster. However, during the Balance of Power, I actually managed to push to 650ish points. I experience my first instance of attacking someone, winning, and net losing almost 100 points. That leads to my questions:

1) Around 600 is when you'd start hopping, correct? And the general strategy is to push to a threshold, shield, then cycle through targets for 3 juicy ones, attack all three and repeat?

2) Is shield hopping the only way to reach the higher progression rewards? I wanted the purple Mystique cover but, at the end, the top person in my shard had <1000 points if I remember right.

3) How many times, on average, do ya'll have to hop to reach decent score?

Just a couple questions to prep me for whenever (if ever) I can get to be competitive in PVP, thanks for the help.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sandals wrote:
    As a new player (approaching a full 2* team), I had a question about progression rewards in PVP.

I'm only able to get to 300-450ish points before all targets are teams that would be pointless to even attack. I understand that's due to having a sub-par roster. However, during the Balance of Power, I actually managed to push to 650ish points. I experience my first instance of attacking someone, winning, and net losing almost 100 points. That leads to my questions:

1) Around 600 is when you'd start hopping, correct? And the general strategy is to push to a threshold, shield, then cycle through targets for 3 juicy ones, attack all three and repeat?

2) Is shield hopping the only way to reach the higher progression rewards? I wanted the purple Mystique cover but, at the end, the top person in my shard had <1000 points if I remember right.

Just a couple questions to prep me for whenever (if ever) I can get to be competitive in PVP, thanks for the help.

So there are a couple thing you have to remember. #1 durring balance of power lower level characters are actually more powerful than 3* and 4*. Juggernaut is one of the best characters for BOP. Also because it is between seasons people don't shield hop as much so lower scores will score higher.
    As far as shield hopping is considered I put my first shield around 800 points. Now with the new update and cool downs this might change. To reach a higher score right now shield hopting is the way to go. things might change next week with the update. To get to 1300 points right now 3-4 hops is what you will go through.
    For a 2* team my recommendation is to climb as high as you can and shield with 3 hours left. Line up 2-3 people who you can beat and then with about 5 min left in the PVP try and win 2-3 matches to get better placement. Depending on time slices 700 points should be a good goal for 2*.
    Remember to boost AP when you are doing your last 2-3 matches so you can win faster.
    There are some changes that have been announced that will change the game in PVP so this advice is subject to change and I hope this helps. A solid 2* team can get to 700 in PVP regularly by putting in one shield and then winning 2-3 matches in the last 5-8 min.

Good luck and keep grinding
  • wymtime wrote:
    Sandals wrote:

So there are a couple thing you have to remember. #1 durring balance of power lower level characters are actually more powerful than 3* and 4*. Juggernaut is one of the best characters for BOP. Also because it is between seasons people don't shield hop as much so lower scores will score higher.
    As far as shield hopping is considered I put my first shield around 800 points. Now with the new update and cool downs this might change. To reach a higher score right now shield hopting is the way to go. things might change next week with the update. To get to 1300 points right now 3-4 hops is what you will go through.
    For a 2* team my recommendation is to climb as high as you can and shield with 3 hours left. Line up 2-3 people who you can beat and then with about 5 min left in the PVP try and win 2-3 matches to get better placement. Depending on time slices 700 points should be a good goal for 2*.
    Remember to boost AP when you are doing your last 2-3 matches so you can win faster.
    There are some changes that have been announced that will change the game in PVP so this advice is subject to change and I hope this helps. A solid 2* team can get to 700 in PVP regularly by putting in one shield and then winning 2-3 matches in the last 5-8 min.

Good luck and keep grinding

Yea, I abused the hell out of Juggs+OBW+CStorm during that. I kinda figured that part of the reason scores were lower was because it was between seasons, match took longer (because of Juggs health) and that the rewards were probably something a lot of vets already head.

Thanks for the info man, I will keep up the grindin'
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can only answer this from my perspective which is that of a player who has all the major 3 stars maxed along with a finished X-Force, Fury, and 435 leveled Thor....
    I'm also answering this for traditional PvP's as something like BoP throws all rules out the window.

1) Join a pvp whenever you want (early, midway or late). In my experience you don't want to really push it until you're ready to shield. By 'push' I mean use all 5 health packs going through matches as quickly as you can. Ideally choosing matches that are less likely to counter attack you as your team would be intimidating to them. This typically involves using +1 AP boosts all the way through (ISO ones only for me but some might opt to use the HP +1 ALL ones as well especially when hopping)

- The later you do your push, the better your points will be as more players are available to choose from. So push on the last day. I typically do this with 4-8 hours to go in the event.

- My initial push will typically net me a score between 900-1100. A lot of this depends on luck. You'll eventually reach a point where you can't gain points faster than getting hit. You'll win one for 25 points, get hit twice for -70 points...and this will repeat again if you stubbornly stick with it. Keep playing after the first hit...but once you see a couple in quick succession it's time to shield.

2) Yes. At least in general. There are always exceptions. I've made 1100 prog several times without shielding. Some people in my alliance have made it to 1300. These are viewed as the exception to the norm.

3) Expect to have to hop once or twice for 1100. I'd guess about 5-7 times for 1300 depending on luck and your initial push. I tend to only risk 2 matches when hopping. Some people will do a lot more...there are also times when I can only do a single match hop (typically Sunday's). My rule of thumb is to do as many matches as you can in about 4 minutes.

Note: With the proposed shield hop changes I expect it will become extremely difficult to make 1300 prog. 1100 shouldn't be too bad though. Do initial push approx 10 hours before end time and shield for 8 hours. Then hop for the prog rewards in the last couple hours.
  • I personally like to get to 800 before shield hopping. 700 is the cutoff for the ladder, so below it you are unlikely to find good matches and above it you are a target for everyone with a score from 700 to 900ish (scary place to be).

I've read people join with 12 hours to go, fight for 3 hours, have 700 points, shield for 3 hours while healthpack.png regen, then hop hop hop to the end.

With an "approaching a full 2* team" roster, I wouldn't expect you to shield hop really. You would benefit more from joining events late (12 hours to go) and playing hard in them to place top 25. The 1100 cover is more for "I have 1-2 complete 166s" rosters. That said, 800 is a very good goal. All spideycoin.png progression rewards and likely to get you a top 25 in an early time slice late bracket.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    I personally like to get to 800 before shield hopping. 700 is the cutoff for the ladder, so below it you are unlikely to find good matches and above it you are a target for everyone with a score from 700 to 900ish (scary place to be).

I've read people join with 12 hours to go, fight for 3 hours, have 700 points, shield for 3 hours while healthpack.png regen, then hop hop hop to the end.

With an "approaching a full 2* team" roster, I wouldn't expect you to shield hop really. You would benefit more from joining events late (12 hours to go) and playing hard in them to place top 25. The 1100 cover is more for "I have 1-2 complete 166s" rosters. That said, 800 is a very good goal. All spideycoin.png progression rewards and likely to get you a top 25 in an early time slice late bracket.

I'm definitely not planning on shield hopping any time soon, I was just trying to gain a better understanding of how people efficiently score. That might all change with the shielding changes though.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't yet have a 3* roster, so I can't comment on achieving very high pvp scores.

But I did want to add osme information to Wymtimes assessment of achievable 2* pvp scores, as my experience has been a little bit different.

Pre-Anniversary event, I could reliably achieve 500-600 points without shielding at all. A late rush was all that was necessary to secure top 100 or even a top 50 finish. I was also possible to go a fair bit higher on just one or two shields, but at 700+ it was very important to remain shielded as much as possible. A 2* roster was too tempting a target apparently, and losing 100+ points in just a few minutes was common. And virtually all non-retaliation nodes above 700 were max level.

Since anniversary things have been a bit different for me. I do not know if this reflects a change to my personal mmr, or some behind-the-scenes global mmr changes. What ever the cause, my best 2* defensive roster (Ares + OBW + featured) attracts a lot of attention (especially if the featured is a loaner) above 400. Remaining unshielded above 400 for more than 20 or 30 minutes will result in losses until I drop below 400. The pace of attacks increases considerably above 500. the 166 wall also first appears around 500 now, though several hundred iso spent skipping opponents can usually result in a mixed 2*/3* team that is beatable. Above 600 it becomes quite a bit harder for me to find worthwhile opponents, and time spent skipping is quite dangerous if unshielded.

So all in all, I would say that 700 is definitely achievable for a good 2* roster, but but it takes some doing, and probably a couple of shields as well. don't feel like you are doing poorly if you can't get that high on a regular basis.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Sandals wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    I personally like to get to 800 before shield hopping. 700 is the cutoff for the ladder, so below it you are unlikely to find good matches and above it you are a target for everyone with a score from 700 to 900ish (scary place to be).

I'm definitely not planning on shield hopping any time soon, I was just trying to gain a better understanding of how people efficiently score. That might all change with the shielding changes though.

It depends on your bracket and when you climb. With a pretty full roster I can go on the mid 700s early and sit unshielded - I won't drop too much. The last day, I'll push to 1100 or so and shield when I start getting multiple hits or run out of health packs. I can make two or three hops from there for 1300+ if I don't have the cover. The longer you wait to climb, the higher you can go unshielded. If you are in the lower scoring times, the inflection points are all lower.