Season IX 10-pack pulls, with related probabilities

Options
GTannen73
GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
After getting back to back gold-free 10-packs in Seasons VII and VIII, I was inspired to calculate the probabilities of each possible number of gold covers in a Heroic 10-pack*. These numbers have changed as of Season IX--Previously, there were three star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters in the pack with a 1% chance each, but with the addition of Goddess Thor, D3 has dropped the odds for each individual star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png to 0.7%. The star.pngstar.pngstar.png odds are unchanged (0.9% for each of 20 characters), so your chances of each cover being gold in your 10-pack have dropped from 21% to 20.8%.

The probability of each individual number breaks down as follows, to the nearest tenth of a percent:
No cardpack.png : 9.7%
1 cardpack.png : 25.5%
2 cardpack.png : 30.1%
3 cardpack.png : 21.1%
4 cardpack.png : 9.7%
5 cardpack.png : 3.1%
6 cardpack.png : 0.7%
7 or more cardpack.png : ~0.1%

So, two gold covers is the most likely result, which is not a surprise. You're more likely to get one than three, and it's about equally likely that you'll get four as it is none at all.

Hope you found this informative. Math geek out.

* The numbers are the same for a 42-pack (you didn't actually buy one, did you??), but the gold chances are lower for individual Heroic tokens (0.6% per 4 star.png , 0.7% per 3 star.png , for a total of 16.4%). I will calculate chances for piles of individual tokens by request.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Nefesh
    Nefesh Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    If it's not very complicated, would be nice to know probability of individual tokens.
    I've been thinking what is better - to buy a 10-pack for 2800 or 28 daily deals for the same price. It's hypothetical question (personally I'm not going to buy any of them) but quite interesting I think. icon_e_smile.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GTannen73 wrote:
    I will calculate chances for piles of individual tokens by request.

For the DIY population, if you're handy with excel (and really, even if you're not), it's pretty easy. Just drop this in any cell:

=BINOMDIST(1,20,0.164,FALSE)

Change the blue number to how many tokens you have.
    Then change the red number to tell you the chance of getting that many tokens.

In this example, if you have 20 single heroics, this will give you the chance of drawing exactly 1 gold.

Thanks GTannen for doing this, had it in my plans for this season's pulls.
  • Nefesh
    Options
    Thanks for the formula. Got something like this:
    Bn68AEc.png
  • Purple Hawkeye
    Red 2* Wolverine
    Yellow Ares
    Blue 2* Magneto
    Black Moonstone
    Green Rocket and Groot!
    Green Gamora!
    Red 2* Thor
    Black Ms. Marvel
    Red Hawkeye

So, 2 3*s, both usable, and 8 2*s, none usable. Better than I had any right to expect, but I would like some Red Ms. Marvels, which is the only 2* I need. Never pulled a random one.
  • icon_blade.pngpurpleflag.pnggreenflag.png

And 8 2*. I only needed the green cover to max him, although I still need one more green to respec.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My worst 10 pack to date-0 golds. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Yellow Goddess of Thunder was my only gold pull this time around.
  • Gold pulls this time around
    Green Loki, Green Rocket and Groot and a Red patch.

My best 10 pack yet
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hood Blue (sold) and Deadpool black.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I get the usual 9.7% which means 0 cardpack.png already a classic!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got a red patch sold for ISO then I got a GREEN XFORCE!!! That gave me 4 green and then I had enough HP to buy cover number 5!! My X-force is now 5,5,2 and I am a very happy camper with my 10 pack.
    Best cover that I got since season 4.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,503 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    icon_doctoroctopus.pngblackflag.png (needed, mine is presently 5/1/2 - and really? The code for Dr. Octopus is "docock?")
    icon_invisiblewoman.pnggreenflag.png (Needed as much as anything for IW is needed, I have her at 4/0/2)
    icon_hood.pngblueflag.png (the one color of the hood I keep drawing. Ah well. 4/5/4 isn't a bad build. Nothing with 5 blue is a bad build.)

Not a bad draw, really. I'll definitely take it.
  • Sitting on a bunch, but figured I'd open one for fun. I was wrong. It was not fun.

In order:
    icon_moonstone.pngblackflag.png
    icon_moonstone.pngredflag.png
    icon_moonstone.pngredflag.png
    icon_mystique.pngblackflag.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.pngblueflag.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_storm.pngyellowflag.png
    icon_hawkeye.pngredflag.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_storm.pnggreenflag.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_thor.pngredflag.png
    icon_ares.pngyellowflag.png

So... 2750 iso8.png
  • icon_wolverine.pngblackflag.png
    icon_shehulk.pnggreenflag.png
    And 8 2* for ISO.

Needed She-Hulk and XForce covers are always welcome.
  • 9 ** and an unneeded yellow Patch.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    9 **, one green Groot. Do the three other heroic tokens I opened at the same time that all gave me ** count?
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After 3 straight seasons of 2*, I'm really happy with this season

Groot green and yellow needed both
    deadpool red. (To completed to 5, BOOYAH )

Then 2* ISO , moonstone party (3 of them)

Previous seasons were such a let down, I felt it was a waste of a season, I would like them to guaranty one gold coin. This one was awesome, 3 3* I needed is more than I could ask for.
  • Nefesh
    Options
    icon_invisiblewoman.pngyellowflag.png
    icon_shehulk.pnggreenflag.png
    That's it... disappointment as always...
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_hulk.pngredflag.png

The rest were star.pngstar.png
  • Man_Thing
    Man_Thing Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The Iso-8:
    I got three 2* icon_daken.pngpurpleflag.png ;
    Two 2* icon_wolverine.png : 1 redflag.png & 1 greenflag.png (Merry Christmas, I guess) &
    Four more 2*'s: icon_ms_marvel.pngblackflag.png , icon_captainamerica.pngblueflag.png , icon_magneto.pngpurpleflag.png & icon_ares.pnggreenflag.png
    On the plus-side, I also got icon_falcon.pngpurpleflag.png, which I needed. This was the only cover I was missing to have him fully-covered in all of the right colors. I'm actually pretty happy with this pull. Good luck to everyone else. May Santa bring you all the covers you need.