Some eariler ability animations need a bit of updating.

Options
Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
First thing I'm thinking of is Thor, Call the Storm. It seems...not *lazy* but weird that the ability is his logo causing ripples. Not Mjolnir...his logo. Always thought it was a placeholder until 3* Thor had the same thing.
Going on the theme of building up a storm (red to yellow, yellow to green) surely Call the Storm should be Thor thrusting the hammer into the air and catching lightning
3439022-tumblr_m22tex5gsw1qiiqedo1_500.gif
Cos, you know. 'swhat he does.

I was also thinking about Psylocke. Her katana ability is kinda low key. I had the idea of her sword spinning onto the screen similar to the Molotov Cocktail animation for Punisher, which she then catches and continues the slash. Just a thought.

What do you guys think? Any animations that could use a touch up?

[Re-posting here because this seems to be the place where discussion happens.]

Comments

• Here's an ability animation update that might be worth considering: the option to disable all animations, or at least to disable all the bright flashes.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Surprising they haven't developed an epilepsy friendly option, tbh.
  • I had the idea of her sword spinning onto the screen similar to the Molotov Cocktail animation for Punisher, which she then catches and continues the slash.
    Is there a reason why her sword is flying towards her? That sounds stupid tbh. I think her current slashing pose is well done.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    I had the idea of her sword spinning onto the screen similar to the Molotov Cocktail animation for Punisher, which she then catches and continues the slash.
    Is there a reason why her sword is flying towards her? That sounds stupid tbh. I think her current slashing pose is well done.

Eh, true...
    I dunno it just feels kinda bleh to me. The sword slashing downwards feels very small and unnoticable. Feels like there should be something more to it. The other two have a pretty good actiony look to them but the slash seems too small.

Anyone else have any thoughts on animations that could use a spruce up?
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One that has always bugged me is Doom's telekenetic strike.

Arms don't bend that way.
  • I think most people would agree that Marvel and Invisible Woman are at the front of the queue for any new graphics.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    I think most people would agree that Marvel and Invisible Woman are at the front of the queue for any new graphics.

How so?
    Also, I just remembered an old issue I noticed with the 3* Daken having black speckles around his character where he'd been cut out of a black background, I presume. They're no longer there, so kudos to the devs for that =)
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A. Wolverine's green animation could use a bit more than a few slash marks across the screen.
  • I guess most people have their least favorite animation. Mine is Illusions because it takes too long.
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A. Wolverine's green animation could use a bit more than a few slash marks across the screen.

I'd say the opposite, more abilities needs quick and unobtrusive yet evocative graphics that let you know who and what ability fired.

Also, I'd much prefer there to be an animation when, say, Magneto places a 1 turn count-down timer than when it goes off because I never knew it was placed in the lower left hand corner.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Cragger wrote:

I'd say the opposite, more abilities needs quick and unobtrusive yet evocative graphics that let you know who and what ability fired.

Also, I'd much prefer there to be an animation when, say, Magneto places a 1 turn count-down timer than when it goes off because I never knew it was placed in the lower left hand corner.

Seconding this for placing freakin traps.
    If you don't notice that speedy text whiz by telling you Daredevil put traps down, you'll just blunder right into it.
  • Loki's purple. Fire it off, go make some coffee, come back, wait a while, continue match