Lightning round rewards

the prize for 9-25 is pretty clearly worse than the rewards for 26-50 and its not even close, you get 1 slightly better token vs 2 and same amount of iso.

i find myself trying to get 25 to 50 cause i get pushed out of top 8 too often. even if you swapped the rewards for 9-25 and 26-50 it would be more balanced, just would look worse cause the lightning pack is shinier

Comments

• seriously? does no one else do the math?
  • Even people like me get tired of complaining. I don't mean reading others. Adding their own sound to others. I don't place well in LRs to win anything substantial btw.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the best I've ever ranked in a Lightning Round is top 25. And that one time was just a 2*.

That said, I don't bother trying anymore as I just don't find the rewards of the LR to be worth the insane competition. I treat it as 48 hours of Iso farming.
  • When LRs began, the top prize was a guaranteed star.pngstar.pngstar.png, and the tokens were 1100 HP for the same.

At the time, I felt it was impossible to win top prize, and still think it was for anyone who didn't have a top villain in top shape. I didn't then, but I do now. I could win a villain lightning round as it was, if I used my current roster. But now, there's no prize to be won. Winner gets a star.pngstar.png more often than not. Pointless.

And 1100 HP for one token was mind-blowingly expensive. No way would I spend 11 dollars just to get one more Ragnarok.

But that was then. Now, it might be worth it to drop 100 bucks for 18-22 guaranteed star.pngstar.pngstar.png s.

But there's no place for us to spend our HP on good value. Best rate we'd get now is a single-hero special, where the change is 6% to get the featured one. You could buy a ten-pack and not get a single star.pngstar.pngstar.png , let alone the one you were paying for. Bad value.

Lightning round prizes could be more potent. You're right about that. I think those Lightning Tokens should be for star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters only. But all of them, vaults included. Winner gets Spider-Man as often as Daredevil. Then, at least you've won something.
  • the rewards for placing 9-25 in a lightning round is clearly worse than the rewards for 26-50 no matter how you look at it, I am guessing they should be switched? because there is no way this is intentional
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pjoe0211 wrote:
    the rewards for placing 9-25 in a lightning round is clearly worse than the rewards for 26-50 no matter how you look at it, I am guessing they should be switched? because there is no way this is intentional
    For a short while, the lightning tokens had significantly better odds than the heroic ones. Now, they're laughably similar. So these rewards made sense when introduced, but weren't updated when they lowered the value of the lightning tokens.
  • it has been the same for about 6 months at least, it clearly should be changed, i dont see why i seem to be the only person on forums who cares about this, im tired of being punished for placing in top 25 vs 26-50
  • Im just going to keep making a thread about this every week till someone gives a reason why this is so hard to change

the prize for 9th-25th is significantly worse than 26th-50th (even if you want nothing but boosted character cover)

at the very least they should be swapped.

why is this so hard to change?
  • the prize for 9th-25th is significantly worse than 26th-50th (even if you want nothing but boosted character covers)

• the prize for 9th-25th is significantly worse than 26th-50th (even if you want nothing but boosted character cover)

Mod note: I've merged this into your previous topic on this subject. Please don't create multiple topics for the same issue. -DayvBang
  • just accidently got into top 25 and lost a game on purpose close to end and dropped to 51 icon_e_sad.gif
  • When LRs began, the top prize was a guaranteed star.pngstar.pngstar.png, and the tokens were 1100 HP for the same.

At the time, I felt it was impossible to win top prize, and still think it was for anyone who didn't have a top villain in top shape. I didn't then, but I do now. I could win a villain lightning round as it was, if I used my current roster. But now, there's no prize to be won. Winner gets a star.pngstar.png more often than not. Pointless.

And 1100 HP for one token was mind-blowingly expensive. No way would I spend 11 dollars just to get one more Ragnarok.

But that was then. Now, it might be worth it to drop 100 bucks for 18-22 guaranteed star.pngstar.pngstar.png s.

But there's no place for us to spend our HP on good value. Best rate we'd get now is a single-hero special, where the change is 6% to get the featured one. You could buy a ten-pack and not get a single star.pngstar.pngstar.png , let alone the one you were paying for. Bad value.

Lightning round prizes could be more potent. You're right about that. I think those Lightning Tokens should be for star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters only. But all of them, vaults included. Winner gets Spider-Man as often as Daredevil. Then, at least you've won something.

I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere in this game if I didn't farm those early versions of the Lighting Rounds back in January or February. I was able to score a bunch of Magneto and Doom covers just before they nerfed the rewards.

I haven't even looked at the rewards since they're just tokens with **** chances of scoring a decent cover. Perhaps someone can list the difference in rewards here in this thread and highlight how 9-25th is worse than 26-50th (I can't, I'm at work..... shhhhh)
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I just go for the first 100 points and call it good. That usually nets an average of 1000 iso.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    MikeHock wrote:
    I haven't even looked at the rewards since they're just tokens with **** chances of scoring a decent cover. Perhaps someone can list the difference in rewards here in this thread and highlight how 9-25th is worse than 26-50th (I can't, I'm at work..... shhhhh)

The rounds are over (and I didn't hold on to one of the tokens to see the drop rates) but the thinking goes like this:

Place: 51-100 -- 1 Heroic Token (+ 500 ISO)
    Place: 26-50 -- 2 Heroic Tokens (+ 500 ISO)
    Place: 9-25 -- 1 Lightning Token (+ 500 ISO)

Lightning Tokens used to be something special. They used to contain only covers for featured characters. (Heck, in the old world placement guaranteed you a cover for the featured character; not a token where you were drawing for one.) The value of a Lightning Token has been diminished somewhat though:

Start with the drop rates for a Heroic token, now dial up the drop rate for the featured 5 characters, and drop the drop rate for all the other 3 stars to compensate. The chance of getting a featured 3-star is about 2x the chance of getting any other 3-star, but I believe your odds of getting a 2-star are unchanged relative to a Heroic drop.

The OP's belief (and mathematically he is not wrong) is this: A Heroic token and a Lightning Token have a roughly equal chance of turning into 250 ISO... so by that math the rewards become:

Place: 51-100 -- 750 ISO
    Place: 26-50 -- 1000 ISO
    Place: 9-25 -- 750 ISO

My predicament is even worse because (through luck of the draw) my LR characters are among my best covered characters. So I am competing to get an improved chance of drawing a 3-star I am going to need to sell; further reducing the potential value of a Lightning Token.

I have decided to view this predicament as a good thing tough - I have no desire to push for a placement higher than 26; it is a lot easier to finish in that reward tier, and it is more valuable to me to do so. I would like to think I am leaving those top-25 spots open for people who are still trying to finish their feature characters - they need those tokens and I don't want them.

(God forbid they made those prizes actually *good*. I would feel compelled to start competing for them again instead of coasting to a nice #34 finish and getting exactly what I wanted.)