As a transitioning 2*->3* I can't wait for the next season

Options
2»

Comments

• alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I feel like I'm at the same place as Skillsxz - maxxed my 2* that I care about: mnMags, Storm, Daken, Ares, oBW

And strted getting a few covers for 3* (5 each for Hulk and Psylocke).

But holy man, is it hard to compete in PvE without the 'Essential'. Totally blew out the Groot event.... didn't have Character X, which meant no top 150 for Groot, Which meant no top 150 for Gramora, etc.

My only saving grace is the new timers. I can force myself to stay up late and finish in the top 50 (top 25 if I'm _super_ lucky).

I can only assume my MMR and roster size have placed me as a "transition" player - but I still feel like a newbie.

Worse was the Groot events - I saw a new character that I wanted, and pushed hard - grinding all the nodes that were open to me - only to finish somewhere south of 600.

So, I fired up MPQ on my Steam account. With just a bit of play I now have:
    3 covers for Thoress
    3 covers for Gamora
    2 covers for Groot
    2 covers for Blade

And still only 7 roster slots.

****. So a dedicated (paying) player with 30+ roster can't come close to placing, but a complete scrub with zero 2* viablity can consistantly place in the top 10 of PvE (I was less than 1000 points from placing first in the Thoress event!).

I so deperately wish I could transfer covers between my accounts. Right now, I play on my phone because I want to support my guild, but I play on Steam because Thoress and Gamora are fun to play. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • The horrible token odds and the onslaught of new characters is annoying me to no end. For the recent PVE event that rewarded 4* Thor, I actually placed myself out of top50 on purpose to get the red Captain Marvel cover instead. Cap Marvels red is terrible, but it still infinitely more useful to me than 1 cover for yet another new character that will not become even remotely useful for months due to cover shortage. Right now I'd rather save my HP and buy a cover for 1250 than to expand my roster for the new characters. Mystique,,, sold after her PVE, Groot,, sold after his PVE, Gamora,,, I'll sell of all her cover after this PVE as well.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Of the top11 3* characters in mischiefmaker's excellent rankings,
    7 are/will be vaulted : Thor, Daken, Panther, Patch, Punisher, Magneto, Torch
    2 are nerfed : Sentry, Hood
    2 are untouched : Steve, Hulk

doesn't help transitioning players that the best characters to take them out of transition are coincidentally also targetted for vaulting, in this trend Steve and Bruce seems set to follow next season as well. What you get in return are new characters that you have few covers to make them playable. It really is not the most ideal situation, your best tool here is patience, lots of it.
  • The horrible token odds and the onslaught of new characters is annoying me to no end. For the recent PVE event that rewarded 4* Thor, I actually placed myself out of top50 on purpose to get the red Captain Marvel cover instead. Cap Marvels red is terrible, but it still infinitely more useful to me than 1 cover for yet another new character that will not become even remotely useful for months due to cover shortage. Right now I'd rather save my HP and buy a cover for 1250 than to expand my roster for the new characters. Mystique,,, sold after her PVE, Groot,, sold after his PVE, Gamora,,, I'll sell of all her cover after this PVE as well.

1. Cap marvel red is not terrible. If you've been playing the Gauntlet you can see how good she is against protect tiles.

2. People need to get over this "too many characters being released" thing. We feel this way because we all want all the characters and all maxed. But to me, if I'd joined this game in a year or so, and I found out there were hundreds of characters and that I could actually try to assemble the x-men, or the Avengers, or Spiderman & his Rogues as my first 3*s? That would be a blast. Too many characters is a "new game problem", not a "game structure problem".

I mean sure if there were a thousand characters the odds of getting them randomly from tokens would need to be changed. I assume we're eventually going to be able to pick from a range of covers to fight for on pvp (pick time shard, pick between some number of cover sets) and that the tokens will be themed. No "heroic", more like "Heroic Avengers", "Heroic Illuminati"(because of course by then Reed, Prof X, Namor, Dr Strange, Black Bolt and 4* Iron Man will have been released) etc.

People will come here and **** about how Hulk Buster Iron Man is better than all the other 4*s. People will complain that IW still hasn't been changed after 2 years. People will **** about Balance of Power not allowing them to break 2500 points as easily as usual and how utterly unfair that they aren't in the top 5 one time out of 50. And life will go on.

Edit - I support that cMags and Lthor should never be taken out of rotation unless they're being revised by the way. They are way too important for people going from 2* to 3*. Same with Patch.
  • ark123 wrote:
    The horrible token odds and the onslaught of new characters is annoying me to no end. For the recent PVE event that rewarded 4* Thor, I actually placed myself out of top50 on purpose to get the red Captain Marvel cover instead. Cap Marvels red is terrible, but it still infinitely more useful to me than 1 cover for yet another new character that will not become even remotely useful for months due to cover shortage. Right now I'd rather save my HP and buy a cover for 1250 than to expand my roster for the new characters. Mystique,,, sold after her PVE, Groot,, sold after his PVE, Gamora,,, I'll sell of all her cover after this PVE as well.

1. Cap marvel red is not terrible. If you've been playing the Gauntlet you can see how good she is against protect tiles.

2. People need to get over this "too many characters being released" thing. We feel this way because we all want all the characters and all maxed. But to me, if I'd joined this game in a year or so, and I found out there were hundreds of characters and that I could actually try to assemble the x-men, or the Avengers, or Spiderman & his Rogues as my first 3*s? That would be a blast. Too many characters is a "new game problem", not a "game structure problem".

I mean sure if there were a thousand characters the odds of getting them randomly from tokens would need to be changed. I assume we're eventually going to be able to pick from a range of covers to fight for on pvp (pick time shard, pick between some number of cover sets) and that the tokens will be themed. No "heroic", more like "Heroic Avengers", "Heroic Illuminati"(because of course by then Reed, Prof X, Namor, Dr Strange, Black Bolt and 4* Iron Man will have been released) etc.

People will come here and **** about how Hulk Buster Iron Man is better than all the other 4*s. People will complain that IW still hasn't been changed after 2 years. People will **** about Balance of Power not allowing them to break 2500 points as easily as usual and how utterly unfair that they aren't in the top 5 one time out of 50. And life will go on.

Edit - I support that cMags and Lthor should never be taken out of rotation unless they're being revised by the way. They are way too important for people going from 2* to 3*. Same with Patch.

1. Ok I was perhaps being too harsh, her red is not terrible but it's definitely her worst power though. The point is where I'm at in this game right now, I'd rather have the cover for the worst power of a 3* character rather than a cover for a very good brand new 4* character.

2. I don't actually want all the characters nor do I want to max all of them. As a transitioning player I'm more interested in maxing a small handful of characters right now, and the onslaught of new characters is severely slowing down the transition due to 1)older characters,, the ones transitioning players tend to have more covers for,, getting rotated out for months for the new flavor of the week and more importantly 2) PVE events awarding new character covers instead of existing character covers. PVE events used to be the best way for a transitioning player to progress. Being able to gain 2,3 or even 4 covers for the same character through 1 PVE event vastly increases the usefulness of a 3* character.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just adding my name into this mix. I agree with the OP, as well as numerous others who have pointed out the issues that transitioners face. As I pointed out in this post (http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20136) the HP to covers option is NOT a really viable option for most, so please stop bringing this up...

This issue does need to get solved. As much as I enjoy the game, I am also more intelligent than a trained chimp (even if this advantage is ever so slight), and will refuse to pour my time/money into something that simply causes frustration at times.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magneto and LThor are both good characters but not as essential as people want to let you to believe. I don't mind token rotations and this only quite honestly effects the stalwart f2p players. Honestly, for those that want to remain f2p, you're going to have to start making sacrifices when it comes to characters. It doesn't take long to build the HP needed to buy a 3 star cover but if you're going to keep buying slots for all the latest characters, you will spread yourself thin. Those prices will continue to increase and you will hit a very real wall in which you will not keep up with releases if they continue at the rate it's going.
  • this is the worst idea ever

those cover is close to useful > they get rotated out and i get to re collect the "new" 3*

However before those " new " 3* is close to useful > they get rotated out and the other " new" 3 star come!

For veteran player... new cover is just few PVP and bored

For new player ....when can i get the first 13 cover character?! oh no they said there are 5* coming! Does my 3* matter? It never end!

Demiurge is the WORST designer house i ever met! Their idea is full of ****!
  • ark123 wrote:

But how frustrated will that person trying to assemble the X-men be, when half of them are vaulted and every gold token draw is for Beast or a non-X? A long term solution would be to set up an auction/trading house. How would that work?

D3 would have to set up a trading area and new currency.
    I would put a cover that I did not want on the block. I would pick the price I wanted. It would stay out there until it sold, until I take it down, or until the 7 day window runs out.
    For example, I put out a Blue Hood at 100 D3points. If there are a bunch of Blue Hoods for sale at 75, mine will not sell. If there are a bunch at 150, mine will sell first.
    If I sell my cover for 100, the buyer will pay 110 or 120 (vig to D3). I will receive my 100, D3 will pocket the 10 or 20%.
    The vig will create negative D3 points in the system (not a zero sum game), so more will need to be purchased.
    This will set up a market for covers, where the better covers will cost more and will allow D3 to get metrics on which abilities need to be changed in either direction.

Positives

Players can get something more than 500 iso for covers they don't need and then use that to get covers they do want.
    Removes randomness from token draw - more player control.
    A new revenue stream for D3 (likely small)

Negatives

More competition - Let me get a 6th Xforce Black because I can sell it and turn that into something I need
    Less cover sales

I am sure I forgot a few things. Any thoughts?