Load more names when viewing the leaderboard

FaustianDeal
FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
A lot of people have asked for a scrollable leaderboard; that seems like it is likely a hassle to set up. You have to first make a decision between loading the whole list or a subset. The whole list is too big - so that's out. Loading a partial list only works when the data you are paging through is fairly stable - but the leaderboard is not stable; its constantly updating. I can see my score as, say 104th, and then when I scroll down my name could suddenly appear again in position 111th because 7 people passed me while I was monitoring the leaderboard. (the request would presumably be in the format of "skip 110, take 10" - and if it takes a current look it is easy for lots of names to move between requests.) Freezing static looks at the data would prevent this, but now you are looking at a stale leaderboard.

Would a viable compromise be to load a larger subset with each request? Instead of loading a window of 10 names centered on my position, could we load a slightly larger window: like get 20 names instead of 10?

5th place is one of the worst positions to be in; I can keep tabs on the 5 people immediately behind me as they try to beat me for top-5, but I don't know how hotly contested top-10 is going to be in my bracket because I don't have the data.