fight4thedream and the Grind Masters

Options
fight4thedream
fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
thorsgodbomb_zps0d1c874e.png

Good day to you, my fellow puzzle warriors!

i hope this message finds you well! i'm sure many of you are still recuperating from the madness of the "Meet Rocket & Groot" pVe but hopefully the experience has given you better insight into the game and even more importantly better insight into your self.

i come to you redeemed!

Having lost the incredible grind race battle with HailMary in the previous pVe i had fallen into a momentary state of despair (well maybe that's stretching it a bit, it was more like i was just a bit down about my penchant for foolhardy behavior). In that moment, lo and behold a new pVe appeared! At first, i cursed the devs under my breath for giving us a pVe so soon but when i realized what the rewards were i knew this was the moment i had been waiting for: a pVe to end all pVes. Normally, i try to play it smart and find a time where i feel i can excel without having to do the no-sleep strategy that we often here Phantron speak of (although he denies doing it himself, one does wonder how he seems to win all his pVe battles...)

But, looking at the end time i realized that i would be unable to play the final hour, i decided to join the event immediately and take my chances. Originally i hoped to get lucky and fall into a bracket of n00bs who did not know what they were doing and would allow me to coast to #1 but i was well aware of the possibility of encountering the legendary sleepless ones, the Grind Masters, as Phantron always cautions against joining the event too soon lest we fall into the misfortune of battling these invincible beasts.

Well, as luck would have it, my bracket ended up with not one, not two, but three of these terrifying destroyers of hope! May the names of these mighty three never be forgotten: atomex the Scourge of the Skrull Empire, Militant the Wrecking Crew Warmonger, and Army of Sparta's R2builder the Grand Grind Master. However, having learned from my worthy opponent HailMary that one should never give up, i decided to buckle down and chase after these demons and see if i could not at least best one or two in puzzle combat.

The first day saw the most movement in our bracket as i and a few other brave warriors, notably PUERTO RICO and Welsh Dragon, took turns hopping to and fro over these three Grind Masters. However by, the end of the first sub the tone of the TOP 10 was set, with R2builder and Militant taking the top 2 spots with a just a one match difference between them and then...myself in third spot 3000pts below them and atomex on my heels. i would have finished closer to them had i not been distracted in my conversation with a lovely lady friend but that is besides the point. i was amazed i was able to overtake atomex the Scourge so quickly. [bit of side note: during this first phase i also encountered an atomzed the Hammer of the Kree Empire and wondered if atomex and atomzed were related in some strange manner?]

Pleased with these turn of events, i briefly contemplated going to sleep as the hour was late and i usually don't jump right in to the next sub battle until having proper rest but playing it safe i decided to take a look at the leaderboard to check and see if these truly were the sleepless Grind Masters who Phantron so often speaks of. And lo and behold i've been hopped over by my defeated enemy atomex and the both Militant and R2Builder are on the move. Seeing myself drop to 4th so quickly reinvigorated my efforts and i was determined to catch up with these Grind Masters. And boy did i grind! i grinded like never before!

i actually worked full shifts during the whole event so every break was spent grinding and calculating how much i needed to grind to keep pace with these three mad men\women. i accomplished a lot of firsts trying to keep up: grinding while brushing teeth, grinding while dressing myself, grinding while half asleep. Hel if i could have grinded showering i would have! By the end of the second sub, R2builder managed to build a small but significant lead ahead of Militant and i had triumphed over atomex who due to unknown circumstances then began to drift down lower and lower in the ranks. i even was able to catch up with Militant and take the 2nd spot momentarily a few times. However, with atomex vanquished, a new challenger appeared: Jkak the Punisher.

i still don't know where Jkak got the points to challenge me for 3rd but it kept the fight interesting. With less than 24 hours to go R2builder the Grand Grind Master continued to build his or her lead while i inched closer to Militant with Jkak chasing me and atomex returning to form and surging back into the fight hovering between 5th and 6th. As the time for my slumber drew near and atomex still showing signs of life i decided i had put way too much effort in to risk him catching up and over taking me with JKak and JoJo3 in tow during the final minutes of the pVe. So i decided to do to runs for a grand total of 5 hours rest time, (actually more like 4 when you consider that by the time you have finished all the nodes approximately 30 minutes have already past on the 1st node) sleep do another run and sleep again, then grind down all the nodes before i started working during the final hour of the pVe.

the plan went pretty smoothly until i realized as i was getting on the train to go to work that in my half sleepy daze i had left both my cell power adapter and extra cell battery which i had fully charged at home! icon_eek.gif knowing how the game simply drains the life from my cell, i knew i had to bum-rush all the high point nodes now and pray my phone did not die in the midst of my final push. luckily i had just enough battery power left to finish the job briefly at 2nd place and leave me with a 30,000pt cushion over my 6th place foe so i felt i could breath a bit easier.

However, when i checked my phone on my first break i noticed the battery was dangerously low and even though it said i had 9% power left i have had it lie to me plenty of times before and turn off mid match so i decided not to risk my 4hor covers being lost to oblivion and waited until i returned to the safety of my lair to check the results of my great battle.

Victory is mine my friends! i managed to finish third at 180412 points with Militant 5,00 points ahead and the Grand Grind Master R2builder finishing with an incredible 191300 points. Although 1st was out of reach, i'm calling this one a victory! R2builder i don't know how you did it but congratulations on your win! And thank you atomex, Militant, JKak and JoJo3 for making this a memorable run. And a special thanks to HailMary: i may have lost a Groot to you but now i'm three steps closer to the Goddess of Thunder!

There are other things about this experience i wish to write about but fatigue has started to set in and it's best i think over these ideas carefully. However, with 4hor now out and about the battle has only just begun! icon_twisted.gif

But tonight this warrior will finish reading Thor: God of Thunder GODBOMB and enjoy the pleasures of a good night's rest. Sweet dreams my fellow puzzle warriors!

fight4thedream゙☆

tldr:f4d was baptized in thunder! KOOOOOOOM! A new age is upon us! <He recommends reading Thor: God of Thunder issues 1-11!> See you on the battlefield for those 4hor covers!!

Comments

• Brilliant! An epic tale worthy of Homer himself*

All hail Hydra The Grind Masters!

* Of The Illyad fame, not the mighty DOH meister
  • Hey fight4thedream, how are you ?... It was my pleasure to hunt you, next time I'll sleep less (sleeping 8 hours each sub-event) ! I am not a PVE grinder, I did this only 2 times since 1 year of playing: for Deadpool and for Thorina.

It was a hard battle, but like I said in my alliance: "There is some armored **** to get here !!"
    The last day I even though to send you a PM to "make things interesting for the last rush" ... like you did for HailMary. I am glad to do this with some big boss of PVE in my bracket, see you around for a future event (not the next because I'll be busy with familly this month, unless D3P wait for next year to do it).

Excuse my bad english

Jojo3 icon_cool.gif

PS: armored **** !!
    lady-thor-1.jpg