The game is stale for me

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Please consider making previously released characters desirable with funbalancing including weak 2*s or lose your sometimes paying F2P players. The character release rate is so high right now, casual F2P players burn out using the same characters over and over again because they can't get newly released characters (or a playable version of them, enough covers etc.) soon enough to enjoy them. The third skill for 2* Daken and Mawkeye buff spiced things up a bit. It certainly resulted in many new viable team combinations for me and made the game fun again for a while.

Today I chose my slice for Grocket PvP. Pondered on playing at least a game for a minute twiddling my thumbs (read looking at seeds, changing between them). Then, I didn't play. If I wasn't in an alliance I wouldn't even consider going on. I will probably play later before event finishes. Looked at the PvE sub that I played last night. I have zero incentive to play them again since I couldn't get Grocket in the PvE before since I also lacked a Falcon cover. I could only get one blue Grocket during the PvP and missed essentials on the first or maybe first two subs. Not sure. Therefore, I have no way of competing for a 4or cover. Not that I have funds to comfortably recruit her. I sold two of my 1* characters last night to accomodate a She-Hulk who was about to expire and the blue Grocket I won to use in PvE essentials.

Comments

• Even for veterans the game has become a crazy thing.

I'm very curious to see what they are aiming at because it doesn't make any sense for me to release so many **** characters.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    release new characters, two character slots to chose form. One perma-filled with Xforce, no point releasing new 3 stars
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    release new characters, two character slots to chose form. One perma-filled with Xforce, no point releasing new 3 stars
    Not sure exactly why I feel this way, but I'm kind of ashamed to say this is basically exactly what I'm doing these days. It even feels like how I used to play with obw all the time. "Gotta extend this match 3 turns for that heal tile to resolve". Part of it is that I genuinely enjoy using him, and the other part, which ties into the first some as well, is that he's insanely powerful (it's pretty fun to demolish other powerful characters quickly). Anyway it's still fun to use him but I agree the "who else do I run with x-force" game does get kinda repetitive and I could see it becoming stale rather quickly.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We need a new, persistent, non-competitive playground with limited or no scaling. I've got every character in the game. I cover them as properly as I can and feed them ISO. I'd like to be able to use more than half a dozen on a regular basis. Something like prologue, but not stale and underleveled. And not featuring 20 ISO wins.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    xKOBALTx wrote:
    We need a new, persistent, non-competitive playground with limited or no scaling. I've got every character in the game. I cover them as properly as I can and feed them ISO. I'd like to be able to use more than half a dozen on a regular basis. Something like prologue, but not stale and underleveled. And not featuring 20 ISO wins.

Well said: a new, persistent, non-competitive playground with limited or no scaling, I really like to see that.
    Or a development of this part of the game because The Gauntlet can be considered as a step in this direction.
    A playground for our diverse roster that D3 says he want to promote!

More , I'd like to see some cooperative events where several players (one alliance? several? all the community?) work together to achieve an ojective. One of my very first PvE as a newbie was the Hulk event and while I couldn't clear a lot of nodes that were to difficult for my 1* roster ( icon_exclaim.gif ) I was thrilled to win a Hulk cover because I helped the community to fill the whole progression bar icon_e_biggrin.gif

The fact is that I don't find that fighting against other players for leaderboard is so funny and it's often repetitive. Cooperative play would be a welcome changed and it would gave the opportunity to help new player in the alliance to build their roster for example. Of course, I don't ask for 4* reward. I don't want to steal hardcore competitive players icon_razz.gif
  • All these ideas sound great. Unfortunately, what we are going to get is more of the same insane release rate of characters and a never ending soul sucking grind...and a kick in the ****, because D3 hates it's player base.

marc
  • The Xforce on, literally, every team past 900 doesn't help.

Even when Thoress is fully covered, Xforce or Thoress on every single team doesn't help much either.
  • djsquillz wrote:
    All these ideas sound great. Unfortunately, what we are going to get is more of the same insane release rate of characters and a never ending soul sucking grind...and a kick in the ****, because D3 hates it's player base.

marc

Their strategy is based on psychological stress.

We were caught by surprise for the release of Lady Thor. Therefore, many addicted guys will panick, grind like hell to have the covers and buy HP and Iso to have her instamax.

Surprise, surprise : we have End of the Year sales !

I like Fairy Tales, but I don't think they will change their current strategy.

They are just manipulating us, showing us how nice they are fixing some of the problems we are wishing for, and then, they release tons of characters so that the whales keep on paying...
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    Even for veterans the game has become a crazy thing.

I'm very curious to see what they are aiming at because it doesn't make any sense for me to release so many **** characters.
    When I look at other card-collection games (like perennial favorite Puzzle and Dragons) there's just no way any sane person could "collect them all," and I sort of feel like they want to take the game in a direction like that where there will be so many characters that 90% of their players will just grab and level their favorites and only a few crazies will go for roster completion

But none of the game systems or mechanics support that playing style

MPQ has always felt like a game with three lead designers, none of whom talk to or coordinate with each other and all of them trying to pull MPQ into a certain framework, but none of the frameworks mesh so we get a hot mess
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As far as game play being stale they did announce a new game play in Dec. this might just be a new story in PVE with new minions who pu different CD on the board but I will be optimistic and think they will have something new in mind. In the ask Q & A they acknowledge the rising cost of roster slots. Change in a match 3 game is hard. I just wish the Dev's would take a small break from releasing so many new characters to be able to work on other parts of the game. Even if they would just be able to re-run events to let players win more covers of the new characters. I personally have a lot of new characters that just don't have enough covers or levels to be useful. My Deadpool can now go up to level 140 and everyone released after him is just there. This is the problem with all the new characters.

When I read between the lines for the game is the Devs want to replace the old characters with new. They are vaulting older characters and keeping new ones in the fold. There might be a buff or 2 comming, but replacing the character makes it so Vets have something else to play for as well as new.
  • wymtime wrote:
    As far as game play being stale they did announce a new game play in Dec. this might just be a new story in PVE with new minions who pu different CD on the board but I will be optimistic and think they will have something new in mind. In the ask Q & A they acknowledge the rising cost of roster slots. Change in a match 3 game is hard. I just wish the Dev's would take a small break from releasing so many new characters to be able to work on other parts of the game. Even if they would just be able to re-run events to let players win more covers of the new characters. I personally have a lot of new characters that just don't have enough covers or levels to be useful. My Deadpool can now go up to level 140 and everyone released after him is just there. This is the problem with all the new characters.

When I read between the lines for the game is the Devs want to replace the old characters with new. They are vaulting older characters and keeping new ones in the fold. There might be a buff or 2 comming, but replacing the character makes it so Vets have something else to play for as well as new.

Makes sense, but most of the new characters can't be played in the current formats.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Change in a match 3 game is hard.

Play the original puzzle quest 1 & 2. Notice how those have fully fleshed out alternative game modes for all kinds of events? Why don't we have atleast those modes of play yet?
  • _RiO_ wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

Play the original puzzle quest 1 & 2. Notice how those have fully fleshed out alternative game modes for all kinds of events? Why don't we have atleast those modes of play yet?
    Honestly, I found PQ2 boring and uninspired, with equipment doing little to change the game. The new puzzle modes had only the most basic of integration into stats.
  • daibar wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

Honestly, I found PQ2 boring and uninspired, with equipment doing little to change the game. The new puzzle modes had only the most basic of integration into stats.
    PQ2 is the inferior one afaik.