Seriously; that is NOT COOL.

Turn 2: 4500 damage, character lost
Turn 4: 4500 damage, character lost
Turn 6: 4500 damage, character lost

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8X54ephQYllEibQgGqZtbWUZwoFjsqE4GM4Xio3yCzxKMhmcC
  • There's a lot of work to be done balancing nodes for difficulty. This time around, I don't think they foresaw how powerful The Hood would be. Even if they did, they've never shied away from building near-impossible nodes. And that's perfectly fine. If that node kills almost everyone, then the select few who survive deserve the points they've earned.

However, you're right. The very notion of video game difficulty is problematic.

Do you know how it began? The original Space Invaders console had enough processing power to move all the aliens very slowly. As the number of aliens decreased, the system could move the enemies faster. Thus, anybody could start, but only those with the fastest reflexes could finish. This unintentional scaling of difficulty made Space Invaders the first runaway hit in gaming, and set the stage for all games to come.

But every game has its own issues. Easy mode usually involves giving the player an unfair advantage, so it's hard to lose. The highest difficulty has instant-death, reduced ammo, enemies with maximum hit priority (what in MtG would be called First Strike), and is only meant for players who want to perfect their play. So "easy" is unfair to the computer and "hard" is unfair to you.

I think it's pretty obvious that's how this game works. The first node is three underleveled soldiers. You can't lose. Random match damage will take them out before they can kill you with countdowns. The last node or two is usually too hard to win without luck or boosts. It's Juggernaut, Sentry, and Venom leveled high enough to one-shot you with any ability. It's an overleveled enemy with feeder goons. It's CMags, star.png Storm and Loki on a jungle map (remember that? Craziest thing I've seen).

You aren't supposed to be able to finish the later maps. If everyone could, it would make PVE even more tedious.

Also, as per the PVE guide, when a node kills a player, it becomes easier. If that node kills every player, every time, it will get easier until it can be beaten, or so I'm led to believe.
  • If this is dev's answer to people saying the end turn is not needed, they are doing it wrong. All it does is piss people off.
  • They should just get rid of self generating tiles for minions and goons. They should let goons and minions match tiles like everyone else. They should have to match the yellows instead of magically generating it. Otherwise, make covers with the same "power." Think about it, super heroes/villains have to "steal" their additional tiles, goons and minions just make them appear without doing a thing. Im sure they did that so they can place tiles and their own atttacks are all countdowns but at least reduce the frequency of self generation to every other turn or, imo, none at all since it doesnt really make sense in the system they've created that ordinary goons and minions can make tiles randomly appear. I just say let them match tiles to trigger their tommy guns and shadow knives and sniper rifles like everyone else.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should just get rid of self generating tiles for minions and goons. They should let goons and minions match tiles like everyone else. They should have to match the yellows instead of magically generating it. Otherwise, make covers with the same "power." Think about it, super heroes/villains have to "steal" their additional tiles, goons and minions just make them appear without doing a thing. Im sure they did that so they can place tiles and their own atttacks are all countdowns but at least reduce the frequency of self generation to every other turn or, imo, none at all since it doesnt really make sense in the system they've created that ordinary goons and minions can make tiles randomly appear. I just say let them match tiles to trigger their tommy guns and shadow knives and sniper rifles like everyone else.

That would make PvE a cakewalk.
  • They should just get rid of self generating tiles for minions and goons. They should let goons and minions match tiles like everyone else. They should have to match the yellows instead of magically generating it. Otherwise, make covers with the same "power." Think about it, super heroes/villains have to "steal" their additional tiles, goons and minions just make them appear without doing a thing. Im sure they did that so they can place tiles and their own atttacks are all countdowns but at least reduce the frequency of self generation to every other turn or, imo, none at all since it doesnt really make sense in the system they've created that ordinary goons and minions can make tiles randomly appear. I just say let them match tiles to trigger their tommy guns and shadow knives and sniper rifles like everyone else.

That would make PvE a cakewalk.

The first several nodes are already a cake walk, not even a cake walk, you could literally play with your eyes closed and win. Boost up the goons levels to offset the lack of auto generation of tiles.

Meh, i dont really care, just throwing suggestions out there.
  • Do not let goons generate AP in the first place. Give their abilities a cooldown corresponding to the current number of turns they need to generate the AP.
  • Sontar wrote:
    Do not let goons generate AP in the first place. Give their abilities a cooldown corresponding to the current number of turns they need to generate the AP.
    That's a good idea I think.