The tortoise and the ninja bunny

Options
fight4thedream
fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
tortoise-and-hare_zps3f908b46.jpg

well amigos, i really did it this time lol

this last Thick As Thieves event will go down as the greatest, most embarrassing defeat of my MPQ career [we'll see about that. knowing you, you will do it again. someday.] <yeah, he will>

After spending 4 straight days dancing with el Senor Grind struggling to keep my self in the top 10 of my bracket i decided to make the last lap of this event a bit more *ahem* interesting?

With about an hour and a half left to go i had sunk back down to 9th with a whole fresh batch of nodes waiting for me. Sitting about 10,000 pts below me are happyfatkid (every time i see that name it brings a smile to my face) and the legendary HailMary. What i should have done is proceed to grind like i had always done but i was intrigued to see if one of them would try to make the push.

Half hour later, i'm looking for a place to eat and i notice i've dropped to 10th and HailMary is on the move about 6,000 pts and some change below me. This is when the alarm bells should have gone off and i should have been focused on securing my place. But instead, maybe due to the hunger of the monster in my belly or just from fatigue from the dance with el Senor Grind but a perverse idea popped up in my mind: Let's race HailMary to the finish line!! The devil on my shoulder was there whispering away "you've got a whole fresh batch of nodes, the second he catches up all you gotta do is hit your big point ones and done!" and my angel was no where to be found, tha booger is never around when i need him but always come around after the fact. *shakes fist in air*

After finding a place to eat which took about 20 minutes, i played a couple of matches in the Heavy Metal pVp while i waited for my food and for HailMary to catch up. Finally, around T-minus 25 minutes he hops over me and i proceed with operation "Let's make this final lap fun!" And boy was it ever! A back and forth race we both were keeping pace until the last 5 minutes where i got a bad board on that damn Hood/Bullseye/Daken board and mistakenly took in a health depleted X-Force. Having abandoned that node i tried my luck again on the Mags/Hood node and finished!

But was about 10 seconds too late. i was greeted by the record board showing me that my points weren't added and HailMary was up by 509 pts. [even restarted the app a couple of times to see if it was really true haha]

Although there were other factors that led to my defeat (particularly not being able to play the full final hour of the subs due to work), ultimately it was my hubris and HailMary's determination that decided the outcome. In all honesty, i didn't think he had a good shot and was just making sport of him but i learned the hard way if you are going to mess with the best bring your A-game or shut up and eat your lunch. The better man won this race and i want to congratulate HailMary for an amazing push. Racing you was the most fun i had this pVe and also the most disappointing but i hope your victory tastes as sweet as the bitterness of my defeat. [what does that mean? i don't think it means what you think it means] <he's trying to sound cool again>

anyhoo, after eating humble pie with happyfatkid and reflecting on the error of my ways, i don't think i will be doing that for awhile. then again, i didn't think i would shield hop to oblivion again either so who knows? but as long as you're having fun, right? lol

and of course if HailMary is down for a rematch, i'd gladly accept icon_twisted.gif haha

The moral of the story is: sobriety, zeal and perseverance can prevail over indolence aka don't stop grinding until the deed is done. The end.

Comments

• Professa D
    Options
    HM does it again. The sick part is he was probably doing it while staying actively involved in 5 different Line chat conversations. icon_lol.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The takeaway from this is that you don't **** with Django Unbuffed.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Never underestimate HM. Never forget that he does not require sleep, unless it suits him.
  • More importantly.....

HailMary is a man or a woman?
  • MikeHock wrote:
    More importantly.....

We still don't know.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    More importantly.....

Yes.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    More importantly.....

We're still trying to figure that out
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Hahahaha, thanks so much for this! I was actually expecting this post after that grind duel at the end! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Those last 7 minutes of the PVE were more tense than any shieldhop. A couple of hours out, I thought I'd need to duke it out with Ryz for 10th, but then Ryz leapt up to 7th, and I was all "Welp, that happened. Time to recalculate my point margins." You definitely had me going for a while there, when I saw that I passed you and stayed above you about 30 minutes out. I kept hitting my zero-risk low-value nodes, hoping you'd passed out for the night and were staying out of the race for the duration, but then I dropped back to 11th, and OH NO, IT WAS ON!

After whipping through the low-value and mid-value nodes, I was ~800 points below you at around the 7-minute mark, so I went for the big Hood nodes with XF + DP & +3 B/P AP boosts. I got a board with decent purple density against Hood + Rags + Ares, and used DP SuperWhales to one-shot the team (being my second use of SuperWhales ever, it was a big deal icon_e_biggrin.gif ), which pushed me within a couple hundred points of you with 4 minutes left. I wanted to do the same against the other big Hood node, since a R&G cover was totally worth two SuperWhales uses. Bad news on the second big fight: three purple tiles on the board, far apart from each other, for the first 4 turns. No SuperWhales available, and barely any red, either. Time for XF to smack the ever-living s--- out of people. Even for him, chewing through two 13000-health characters takes time, so that fight took me just past you at the 1-minute mark. I figured you must be actively racing me, you were going to leap past me once you finished the fight you were already in, and I'd lose the cover after all this (note: I blame Destiny), so I entered a third Hood fight with a minute left. I think I won that just in the nick of time, since the PVE had ended by the time I got through all the end-of-fight screens, and I ended up about 500 points above you.

Whew. That was a lot of fun. Tense, but fun. I'll politely decline a rematch, since I much prefer cushy margins of error to razor-thin margins of error, but that was great! icon_lol.gif

P.S. - "happyfatkid" is the best IGN I've seen in a while.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bwahahahaha ah it was a grand race!

i'm glad you had as much (if not even more icon_e_wink.gif ) fun as i did HailMary!
    Having acquired my "I am Groot" covers in pVp the sting of my defeat has long subsided. Now i am busy battling the Grind Masters in my bracket for 4hor covers but i do look forward to crossing paths with you again! And my apologies for assuming you were a man!

Godspeed everyone as we enter the twilight hours of the Grind to end all Grinds!゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v
  • And my apologies for assuming you were a man!

HM is a She ? OMFG. All this time I thought you were a man also !