A special thanks to those who pump the brakes

Options
lukewin
lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Felt a dedicated thread was required, as opposed to a post being buried in an event thread. I'd just like to give a special shout out / huge thanks to guys that slow down / halt their progress so others can get covers. I had been grinding Thick As Thieves, and originally only wanted a Top 10 finish. If Top 2 was within reach, I was gonna go for it. After a few days, I was in 2nd, behind BBBomber of The Enlightened. Held that spot for a few days until last night, when Sumilea of S.H.I.E.L.D, leapfrogged me for 2nd. Both guys had a cover maxed IW already, and thru posts in the TaT thread, they said they'd let me pass to get my first IW green ( already had 1 yellow and 3 blue ). Thought I was gonna have to kiss that cover goodbye, but glad that these guys allowed me to grab it.

In the TaT thread, looks like Bowgentle of Django Unbuffed and Mohio of XstatiX did the same for Seasick Pirate. I know GrumpySmurf1002 did something similar in The Simulator.

Maybe it's just because it was IW, but it's nice to know that not everyone is out for themselves. That cover could've been another 1000 ISO.

I have seen the opposite happen too. I was #1 in The Simulator. #3 (don't remember the name, do remember the alliance) with less than 30 minutes to go, with a 247 5/5/3 Xforce, leaped #2, highest 102 3/2/3 Patch, all others 94 2*s or below, including a 86 2/0/0 Xforce. I felt sorry for the guy, they had held #1 for the most part, and ended up only missing 2nd place by 1,767 pts. The new #2 was building a 2nd Xforce, so he could use the Xforce black that was the prize, but it's still kind of a **** move.

So if you want to give a shout out to someone who has done something similar feel free. Also wouldn't mind hearing people's opinions that coincide or conflict with mine.

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want to thank BowGentle and Mohio for letting me rubberband off of them so I could get my single Groot cover. I'm a pretty happy camper. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I do this often in pvp. If I'm battling with someone for first, I check to see if they need the cover, because typically I do not. On more than one occasion I've stopped pushing to let them have it, I just go until I get the score I was aiming for.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    Raekwen wrote:
    I do this often in pvp. If I'm battling with someone for first, I check to see if they need the cover, because typically I do not. On more than one occasion I've stopped pushing to let them have it, I just go until I get the score I was aiming for.

We need more people like you guys
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't even try for rank one or two anymore since I don't need IW or XF. I did finish #1 a couple weeks ago, but it was a Fury I needed. Now I only need 1 yellow Fury and I can buy the other 4. I don't see any point to taking top spot from those that need it. Heck, the only time I even go for top 10 is for new characters. Any other time, I'm good with a top 50. Gods above know I don't need any more, but new characters is one of my favorite parts of this game. icon_lol.gif That and my OCD will not let me have a collection of any kind that is incomplete. ( this a hint to the devs to add Mr. Fantastic, Thing, Star-Lord, and Drax. We need whole sets of heros here icon_e_wink.gif , GotG and FF are only at half strength, it ain't right icon_cry.gif ).

So basically, I just let the other guy have it, unless it's a new one. Then I'm technically the one that needs it, so it's ok. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,532 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed. This is an awesome thing to do. In my own little way I try to help - if I only need the top 100 cover for a PVP I'll shoot for top 50 rather than top 25 since the difference is only the extra cover (i.e. another 250 Iso.) Sometimes this isn't possible, of course, but I try. I can always make up more Season points for my alliance in the Simulator.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    +1 to this. Special thanks to Mohio and Bowgentle all day long!

My alliance usually misses out on being top 500 within 10 points on a good day. So everything in my roster I have earned on my own. To obtain a 4-star cover that wasn't from a daily reward was a great thrill (even if it was Invisible Woman). These guys didn't have to do what they did, but I am super-appreciative for it.

In my own way, I've done this as well. If I already have the rewards being offered, I don't push for them. Luckily I don't have to worry about my alliance's score, so I can take events easy when I have their rewards. In PvEs, there have been times where I've hit the progress rewards and stopped because I didn't need the placement rewards. No need to take a cover from another transitioning player.

I don't often post here, but I do study the guides and tips shared by the generous community members. Helping others in a game like this should be counterintuitive. In a situation where it is you against everyone else, having knowledge outs you at an advantage over your enemies. So I also want to thank every guide maker and tip post here as well, for helping me get this far.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I suspect a good portion of those in the top 100 for the various season events are only after points, and don't need the covers that are prizes.

Awhile ago, I suggested free shields for protecting season points. This shield would protect your event points for your personal score and alliance score, but would remove you from that particular competition, and you wouldn't win covers.

For example -- Heavy Metal. Suppose I meet the following criteria:

1. My score is over 500.
    2. I'm in the top 20.
    3. For the prize (Daken), my roster has him fully covered.

At that point, it would be nice to get an option for a free 3 day shield. If I took it, both me and my alliance would get the points, but I'd be out of the rankings for that particular contest. If I wanted to break that shield, that might cost 300 spideycoin.png .

There are lots of transitioning players that would like that Daken cover I'm going to sell.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll do this too if asked and I've asked other to do it and had both positive and negative responses.
  • DubbaHuss
    DubbaHuss Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks for shouting out B3, he's one of ours. It's nice that people notice and appreciate the courtesy. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reading this thread gave me an idea for a new tourney -- THE SCRAPYARD, where players fight King of the Hill style for the 3* and 4* covers that other players toss away.
  • lukewin
    Options
    With the combo of a new PVE and the rewards being offered, we might as well cut the brake lines for the next 2 PVEs. Good luck all.
  • lukewin
    Options
    Gonna pay it forward, since it was done for me. Holding on to #2 in ISO-8 Brotherhood. My X-force is at 2/2/3, so no point in me going for a cover I'm eventually gonna lose due to respec. Here's a heads up for Fencebuster of exiled heroes. I'm pumping the brakes, and am only playing for Top 10 in subs, and now Top 10 in main. You are also pretty close, which might be due to multiple clears at once, but however it was done, I'm rooting for you to get your X-Force to 1/2/3. Would also like to see #5 Daglan of THEREALDEAL get theirs to 0/0/2, but don't know if they could leap over #3 and #4.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not playing this for placement, so while you see me in T2 for now, I won't stay there.
    Just going for T10 in the subs and grabbing the ISO rewards in the nodes while I got this super fluffy scaling. If the next set of nodes goes back to normal, I'll stop and sink down.
  • lukewin
    Options
    I grinded my nodes down to a 7 hr refresh. Will be nice to not have to hit the nodes every 2.5h. Hope they know that my huge lead will be overcome on their 3rd refresh.
  • Afrocigar
    Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    If you guys are the reason I've received some good covers for middling 25 finishes, much appreciated.

thanks
  • I would like to thank TooBadUnknown from TheletterD alliance who helped me win my first Thor yellow cover .. I owe you one .. thanks a lot .. icon_e_smile.gif