Critical Tile Cascade Match Mechanics Question

Options
tempestuousfury
tempestuousfury Posts: 76
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi All,

I was wondering what determines whether a critical tile will match up with its surrounding tiles before or after it falls. For instance, sometimes I will form a match five, and the result critical tile will immediately match with 2 surrounding tiles, even though it should be able to fall before matching. Other times, the critical tile matches up only after it falls.

I apologize if the way I phrased the question is confusing, but I'm hoping it makes sense to someone who might have the answer.

Regards!

Comments

• The 'crit matched in mid air' seems to be tied to characters with passives. I'm not sure what exactly triggers it, but the tiles are supposed to fall first before matching the crit and it's a bug if they're matched earlier than that.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If you have OBW on your team, whitecrit.png tiles will match mid air.

I remember seeing Mystique do it too, but I am less sure about that. She doesn't have a passive ability, though she is supposed to be the 3* version of OBW. Maybe it happens only when she's shapeshifted?
  • tempestuousfury
    Options
    So are you saying it's any passive or OBW passive? Or perhaps ones that trigger on matches? I suppose in the end it won't matter, but I am curious. I find it so upsetting when mid-air matches ruin potential 5-tile crit matches. icon_razz.gif
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So are you saying it's any passive or OBW passive? Or perhaps ones that trigger on matches? I suppose in the end it won't matter, but I am curious. I find it so upsetting when mid-air matches ruin potential 5-tile crit matches. icon_razz.gif

i'm with you on the missed crits, but I don't really care either way as long as it is made clear to us how it works.
  • This is a bug that was never confirmed (D3 did confirm tiles are supposed to drop first before matching crit). We think it's tied to passives, but it's pretty hard to prove it because it doesn't happen with every passive. OBW is an obvious one as she'll definitely cause your crit tiles to get matched in mid air but it can happen to other characters too. It doesn't seem to match every possible tile or maybe it doesn't work on all colors, or it might be a different criteria altogether.
  • I like them matching in mid-air - it looks cooler.
  • tempestuousfury
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    This is a bug that was never confirmed (D3 did confirm tiles are supposed to drop first before matching crit). We think it's tied to passives, but it's pretty hard to prove it because it doesn't happen with every passive. OBW is an obvious one as she'll definitely cause your crit tiles to get matched in mid air but it can happen to other characters too. It doesn't seem to match every possible tile or maybe it doesn't work on all colors, or it might be a different criteria altogether.

Thank you. Well, it's not the worst bug ever, but at least it didn't go unnoticed. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I'm still not convinced about the OBW bug. I've had OBW on my team, made a critical where it would have matched with something in mid-air, and not had it match. I think there may be additional aspect to the bug we don't quite have.
  • daibar wrote:
    I'm still not convinced about the OBW bug. I've had OBW on my team, made a critical where it would have matched with something in mid-air, and not had it match. I think there may be additional aspect to the bug we don't quite have.

It doesn't always do it but OBW definitely exhibits it. I wonder if it's related to the colors on the passive but it's hard to narrow it down to anything since you don't get too many of those situations to study.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So weird. I came here to ask this same question.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now but came up with nothing. The only common thread I could come up with was I noticed it happening when it matches yellow and matches black. But not always. It never dawned to me that the characters could be affecting it. Interesting.
  • I like them matching in mid-air - it looks cooler.
    Yeah, I like it too icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems to me that if one of the matches made when a critical is created triggers an AP theft (Espionage or Shapeshift, with colors depending on the level of the power and OBW's match damage) or maybe just a theft-check, the AP theft messes up the order of operations and the critical tile gets checked for a match before it drops.

I can't prove that's the exact problem, but it seems like it to me.