Can we limit number of maxed rosters per bracket

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
In PVP the top 100 gets the 3* cover reward. Checking the rosters of the players around me when I'm in the top 100 almost all of them have multiple level 166 3* characters, sometimes page after page of them.

To me they are disproportionately represented in each bracket. Surely we don't have 20% of the player base with rosters like that. It locks other players out, particularly those in the transition.

Is it possible to limit the number of players per bracket with a higher than "x" level of roster, perhaps to 50. The detail of what "x" is can be argued later, I'm just wondering if it's a change that is possible. It would make the top 100 more achievable to transitioning players.

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    In PVP the top 100 gets the 3* cover reward. Checking the rosters of the players around me when I'm in the top 100 almost all of them have multiple level 166 3* characters, sometimes page after page of them.

To me they are disproportionately represented in each bracket. Surely we don't have 20% of the player base with rosters like that. It locks other players out, particularly those in the transition.

Is it possible to limit the number of players per bracket with a higher than "x" level of roster, perhaps to 50. The detail of what "x" is can be argued later, I'm just wondering if it's a change that is possible. It would make the top 100 more achievable to transitioning players.
    What does your roster even look like as a transitioning player in that you can't score top 100 with it? Do you not have the main PvP contenders leveled? Ares, OBW, Daken, Thor, Storm? Top 100 just seems like such a low mark to achieve as a transitioning player that it seems as if you haven't actually finished the transition to a competent 2* team.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:

What does your roster even look like as a transitioning player in that you can't score top 100 with it? Do you not have the main PvP contenders leveled? Ares, OBW, Daken, Thor, Storm? Top 100 just seems like such a low mark to achieve as a transitioning player that it seems as if you haven't actually finished the transition to a competent 2* team.

Long post warning

You can check my roster by searching for the Roaches Alliance.

It's like this:
    150 Wolverine (X-Force) 5/5/3
    115 Nick Fury 3/3/2
    110 Invisible Woman 1/4/5
    105 Devil Dinosaur 5/5/3

135 Human Torch (Classic) 5/4/4
    130 Wolverine (Patch) 5/3/5
    120 Sentry 3/5/5
    110 Magneto (Classic) 5/2/5
    110 Thor (Modern) 4/3/5
    110 Daken (Classic) 5/3/5
    110 Black Panther 5/3/5
    110 Punisher 5/2/3
    110 The Hood 5/5/3
    110 Captain America (Steve Rogers) 3/5/5
    110 Storm (Mohawk) 5/3/5
    110 Falcon 3/5/5
    110 Captain Marvel 4/5/3
    110 Hulk 5/3/5
    110 Doctor Doom 5/3
    110 Iron Man 40 5/5/3
    110 She-Hulk 5/3/5
    110 Spider-Man (Classic) 3/5/5
    110 Loki 5/5
    105 Psylocke 5/3/5
    105 Black Widow (Grey Suit) 5/3/5
    105 Daredevil 5/3/5
    102 Deadpool 3/3/2
    100 Beast 4/5/3
    95 Colossus 2/2/4
    95 Mystique 2/4/2
    91 Blade 2/1/4
    70 Ragnarok 4/5
    68 Doctor Octopus 3/1/1

Yeah, I bought a lot of tokens in my frivolous youth.

I also have 6 maxed 2* (Thor, OBW, Ares, Wolverine, Storm, Magneto), the rest fully covered but not levelled. But no Bagman. And I kept my 1*, except the embarrassing ones.

I'm following the dictum that MMR is based on maximum levels, so I'm levelling all my 3* evenly. OK, I went mad with HT as he was my first fully covered 3*, and with X-Force because he was suddenly good and I already had him fully covered, but I haven't added a level to X-Force in probably 2 months.

What happens is this. I get around 500 points, maybe 600, then I see the wall. It's not entirely 166/166/boosted 166, but mostly it's teams around 30 levels higher than mine. And it's not like the matches are worth 40+ points, they're at about my number of points so it's around 25. Skipping sometimes shows someone with a team I stand a chance against without many boosts / team-ups, for a rubbish number of points.

It's like there's no middle ground between a warrior and giant death robot.

I can opt to shield. If I don't, I get hit for 30+ points by someone who's starting late and has 166/166/oh dear that's quite a lot. Several someones. Don't bother even thinking about retaliation.

I can climb up a little more in small increments, I've broken 700 a few times, getting top 50 once or twice, but lately it's got a lot harder.

For Wolveroach it's more difficult, as he has no 3* better than 91 0/5/1 Daken, and only 3 maxed 2* (OBW, Thor, Wolverine). I wont give his full roster, it's visible through MPQ. With his lower level roster he could break 600 before hitting insurmountable odds, lately 550 is a triumph.

I accept that better players could do better, probably a lot better, with the same roster. But I doubt they'd break 1300. Possibly 1000. ("But what about Sentry bombing?" I hear no one asking. I dunno, it just seems out of keeping with the spirit of the game.)

The rest of the alliance, well if anyone gets more than 400 points in PvP that's cause for celebration, chat permitting.

So, I wondered if it's possible to limit the number of giant death robots in a bracket. Give the musketeers a chance for the 51 - 100 prizes. It won't affect what's seen in the nodes. but top 100 will be within sniffing distance.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    My roster used to look almost exactly like that. I would reach top 25 with about ~800 points. I followed the whole level everything evenly plan until about 125. Eventually I took my fully covered 5/5/3 Sentry higher and began shield hopping building him up to about 140 then eventually 166. My first 166 was actually during the tail end of Season 6 (I think or maybe it was anniversary week), started leveling XF during Season 7.

Your roster can actually push higher than what you're probably doing. All it takes is just actually doing it. Hit 1600 with an unmaxed character in my roster, you should be able to get to 1100 easy with just some more levels in the core PvP characters. Regular top 25 shouldn't be far off depending on bracket. Even now, I can hit 1200 in PvP with just XF and +2 G/B boost each match since level 220 and 1 shield. You gain more ISO than you spend. Just takes time and planning.

Sadly, Sentry bombing is coming to an end this week so I suggest upping that XF, up that Hood, up Magneto, etc. Level anyone who'd actually support XF as you climb up and the extra covers will come on their own.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I'm following the dictum that MMR is based on maximum levels, so I'm levelling all my 3* evenly. OK, I went mad with HT as he was my first fully covered 3*, and with X-Force because he was suddenly good and I already had him fully covered, but I haven't added a level to X-Force in probably 2 months.

It's PvE scaling that gets hit by your maximum characters. Even still, with XForce at 150 you can safely bring Sentry/Hood up to 140 and won't see any affect.

I hit 1100 in Hollowpoint with 173 XForce, 144 Thor, 144 Sentry and 134 Hood, all cover maxed 5/5/3, save for Thor (3/5/5). First two for climbing, last two to hop with. For your roster, you could easily replace Thor with Magneto for climbing (maybe bring him to 120ish to be safe). Three hops to get there 750->900->1000(lost one)->1100 (hit for -47 after 3rd match).

I see the 166s too at 600 too. The kicker is, once you get through the wall, it actually gets easier. The MMR does weird things at 700-800, where I'll see max teams, and then I'll see 120s again for a patch.

Lastly, at 173, XForce black does 453 per tile. At max, it's only 522. So it's like 600-700 damage you lose not having those levels. Same with his green. The only thing you really lose out on by having him lower is about 3k in health, but he can self regen so you can work around it. A 150 XForce should be more than enough to get to 800 without a shield (maybe a +3 B/G boost here and there to be safe). Aside from the recent insanity brackets, 800 is more than enough for top 100, and should be good for 25-50 more often than not.

Regardless, good luck!
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    My roster used to look almost exactly like that. I would reach top 25 with about ~800 points.
    800 points was about 75th in most of the brackets I was getting sorted into as a transitioning player before time-slicing started its beta run. You must've been passing into 3* terrain when the scoring wasn't nuts yet.