Super frustrated with my PvP pair-ups compared to my wife

Options
alaeth
alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I managed to place in the top ten once, and got really excited (can't recall the event name, Mutants only I think? It was the one that powered up 2 stars to 166). I think this has set a flag that I'm a winner because now I am screwed. icon_e_sad.gif

I have mediocre roster with at best maxxed 2* characters. Using Storm/Magneto combos on most fights, I win against "even matches" (other opponents with 2*.

Problem is as soon as I pass 300 points I'm always up against max 3*.

It wouldn't be so bad, except I asked my wife how she's doing with the really hard battles. She is breezing through PvE and PvP - placing top ten in almost every case!

Now she has two Mark 40 Iron Man covers and is on target for top ten in the Rocket & Groot PvE event. Meanwhile I'm not even in the top 300 of the Groot event (not having Falcon - when she does). At first it was all luck with her getting covers, but now I think there is something "tweaked" about my account.

Any advice?! I love this game, but honestly, the constant beat-down is making me think I should quit. icon_e_sad.gif

Comments

• Does your wife know she frustrates you almost as much as PvP pair-ups?

Edit: Sorry, only read the thread title but not the post. Never mind.

Edit 2: If you look I never actually edited anything.

Edit 3: Tee Hee.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your wife won't help you out with some advice? Ask her for some pointers.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Does your wife have the same level team as you? Sometimes you do just go through 'rough' MMR patches. When my 2* roster was just starting out, I'd hit the 166 wall at around 400 points. Then 500. Now 600-650. You may just have to persevere for a bit.
  • alaeth
    Options
    She is just behind me (just got her first 2* pairing up to 94).

I guess my main issue is the chain of PvE events. I loose one event only to find the next event needs the cover I missed out on... and so on. I read Gamora is coming in December, and I'm willing to bet she will need Groot/Rocket to win. My wife has Falcon, so was doing all them, I had to grind my **** off and am barely over 15000 - no chance in hell of getting the Falcon cover at 80,000. I'm currently 844th - having finished every do-able mission...

I did a bunch of reading today on MMR and trategies... I think my best option at this point is to die on both PvE and PvP active events and hope for a better roll of the dice on the next ones. Not what the designers had in mind... but don't see any value in the PvE event given my current standing... and the PvP undoable

Frusteration hit a peek this morning when she finished in the top 25 of her PvP ladder and got two IM40 covers... which of course is the next damn PvP event! So frusterating to watch someone else (on what I perceve to be "equal footing") get such good finishes wile I beg and scrape to get 500+ points, only to losse 300 overnght and be faces with impossible foes. Combine that with the iOS crash bug hitting me on the first match this morning - pulling me further behind and down 3 health packs. ARGGHHHHH!

I'm not even going to mention her luck on getting 4* covers. Her 4* Wolverine has 4 covers now... LOL
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Heh, the luck of token pulls is a fickle, fickle mistress.

PvE is designed to be more user-friendly to starting players, but even still you need to be patient while you work your way into the 'system'. It can take longer for some than others. Once you have one of the essential characters, you'll be laughing. Until then... eh. Just play. It's a game, right? If you want to win asap, just whale your way through and buy what you need to get more characters to a higher level. Otherwise, relax and realise it's a long journey. (4 months in, I only have 1 really playable 3*.)

And, tbh, although new characters get super hyped - they're not as important as building up your core roster, to start. I have roughly 20 3* characters that aren't remotely playable, because they only have 2-5 covers, and nowhere near enough iso for levelling. But my core roster is solid (hence why I can place well enough to win all these useless new characters).

As for PvP, I'll tell you what helped me when starting out (and still does, really). Don't climb too high until you reach a point at which you'll shield for the rest of the event. If you do, then you run through all your 'equal footing' teams, get slaughtered by higher level players, and then have no ability to retaliate. Get 150-200 points in the early stages, then just leave it. If the end time is something you can shield 3 hours before, then play again at 4 hours before the end. Get your additional 300ish points, shield. If 3 hours isn't suitable (though with the new end time choices, there should be something that works), do the same at 9 hours, and 8 hour shield.

Definitely don't break shield at the end - early-stage 2* rosters have no hope of taking on/killing AI teams at the same speed as higher level players. Even if you won every match, it wouldn't be at the same speed at which you get attacked (speaking from experience... once lost 118 points in the last 10 minutes.. not fun!).
  • alaeth wrote:
    I managed to place in the top ten once, and got really excited (can't recall the event name, Mutants only I think? It was the one that powered up 2 stars to 166). I think this has set a flag that I'm a winner because now I am screwed. icon_e_sad.gif

I have mediocre roster with at best maxxed 2* characters. Using Storm/Magneto combos on most fights, I win against "even matches" (other opponents with 2*.

Problem is as soon as I pass 300 points I'm always up against max 3*.

It wouldn't be so bad, except I asked my wife how she's doing with the really hard battles. She is breezing through PvE and PvP - placing top ten in almost every case!

Now she has two Mark 40 Iron Man covers and is on target for top ten in the Rocket & Groot PvE event. Meanwhile I'm not even in the top 300 of the Groot event (not having Falcon - when she does). At first it was all luck with her getting covers, but now I think there is something "tweaked" about my account.

Any advice?! I love this game, but honestly, the constant beat-down is making me think I should quit. icon_e_sad.gif
    Lol Sounds like you need to bang heads with your missus and switch bodies.
  • alaeth
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    Heh, the luck of token pulls is a fickle, fickle mistress.
    {snip}

Really good advice. I think I was expecting a more "traditional" game where progress is predictable... or a quick win. Talked to a team-mate who's been playing well over a year and now struggling the same way I am, but with 3* fights. icon_e_smile.gif

You say you have close to 20 3*... that's where I'm getting to be now - but most of them have one, maybe two covers (although I managed to get 2 x 3* covers from the normal recruit tokens yesterday, Psylocke and Deadpool) icon_e_smile.gif
  • HariSeldon
    HariSeldon Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    With regard to progress in the metagame, are you and your wife in a decent alliance? I had many of the same frustrations you described with building my collection until I found a decent, growing alliance. When I joined they were ranking in the low 200s for events. With planning and helping each other strategically, we're hitting the top 100/50 in PvE and right around 100 in PvP. With every PvE we play, I invariably learn at least one clever detail that improves my gameplay incrementally. Could that possibly help in your situation?