scrollable leader boards

I think it would be a good idea if you could scroll up and down the leader board.
that way you could gauge exactly how many matches you need to win to grab that top 100 spot.

Comments

• HariSeldon
    HariSeldon Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I definitely agree. I can see how it might cause server load issues, so I wouldn't mind if it had some sort of pagination where we could jump to the milestone ranks even. For example, even being able to see just see the ranks around 50, 100, 250 would be VERY helpful (although I'd like to be able to scroll them all for alot of reasons lol). In a pinch, even just the milestone ranks immediately before and after my (or the alliance's) current rank would still be solid. An excellent idea who's time has come icon_idea.gif
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    +1 I was going to suggest this as well. I like to know how the players in the range I can get to (top 100) are doing, not the top 10...
  • pinoles
    pinoles Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    ++ please! I am constantly wishing I knew how far I had to get somewhere - or how close the next 15 people were, so I knew how many points I needed to stay at a certain level.
  • Agreed. I cannot express enough the number of times I have wished I could scroll the leaderboard to get and idea of how many points I need to reach a certain rank and if its even worth my time trying.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    From a posting in May ....
    IceIX wrote:
    Beast1970 wrote:
    It seems a minor thing, but has there been any discussion or consideration to making the player rank screen scrollable? It would be immensely helpful to be able to see what is going on outside the ten player or alliance range. Probably not feasible to scroll the entire list, but possibly expanded at least a bit from the current.
    We've talked about it, but oddly, that listing is one of the things that puts a huge strain on the server. It's the reason why such lists are also *really* unresponsive in games on XBox Live / PSN. It's something that we'd love to re-engineer for easier scanning down the road but isn't a simple solution, unfortunately.
  • user311 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Beast1970 wrote:
    It seems a minor thing, but has there been any discussion or consideration to making the player rank screen scrollable? It would be immensely helpful to be able to see what is going on outside the ten player or alliance range. Probably not feasible to scroll the entire list, but possibly expanded at least a bit from the current.
    We've talked about it, but oddly, that listing is one of the things that puts a huge strain on the server. It's the reason why such lists are also *really* unresponsive in games on XBox Live / PSN. It's something that we'd love to re-engineer for easier scanning down the road but isn't a simple solution, unfortunately.

Maybe a workaround would be to have a display of the current score needed to hit the main thresholds instead of a fully scrollable list. Could be in the rewards list itself under each reward or a sub-tab in leaderboards - "As of X Time/Date, 514 pts needed for Rank 100, 711 pts needed for Rank 50, etc. etc." Would this strain the server in the same way?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe a workaround would be to have a display of the current score needed to hit the main thresholds instead of a fully scrollable list. Could be in the rewards list itself under each reward or a sub-tab in leaderboards - "As of X Time/Date, 514 pts needed for Rank 100, 711 pts needed for Rank 50, etc. etc." Would this strain the server in the same way?
    That sounds easier to me (I am not a programmer) and something like it has been proposed before. They have limited space to work with in the mobile app, though, so I'm not sure they'd want to add that text.
  • Right now pinging the leader board gets you 10 entries surrounding your current position. I cant imagine it would be too difficult to replace a handful of those entries with ones at certain reward tiers

example of a before and after of what Fred (62) [627 points] might see when he checked the leaderboards:

57 Jim 713 points
    > 10 Happy 1010 points
    58 Joe 700 Points
    > 25 Sleepy 902 points
    59 Jen 680 points
    > 50 Dopey 830 points
    60 Jes 678 points
    > 60 Jes 678 points
    61 Jak 635 points
    > 61 Jak 635 points
    62 Fred 627 points
    > 62 Fred 627 points (you)
    63 Jud 600 points
    > 63 Jud 600 points
    64 Job 599 points
    > 64 Job 599 points
    65 Jin 592 points
    > 65 Jin 592 points
    66 Balthazar 585 points
    > 100 Grumpy 500 points

So it could look exactly the same with no additional explanation needed, just showing you where the tiers break
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    user311 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Oddly indeed, as you can get rocketspeed performance out of a grid with tens of thousands of rows worth of data quite easily. All it requires is that you apply virtual paging/scrolling: render a cleverly tiled tableau of table 'rows' that are recycled as you scroll up or down and only fetch data from the server for the visible 'page' after the user stops scrolling.

Even JavaScript and the HTML DOM can accomplish this easily.
    E.g. http://demos.devexpress.com/aspxgridvie ... aging.aspx
    Or for a one-man opensource implementation, showing how easy this can really be done: http://mleibman.github.io/SlickGrid/exa ... aview.html