My experience so far

I recently got a shiny new tablet, and decided to grab a couple games for it to take advantage of the bigger screen, one of them being MPQ.

In the two weeks since I downloaded it for the first time, here's all that's happened:

I completed the tutorial level to get a feel for all the mechanics, and having a lot of fun, I also downloaded it onto my phone as well. I jumped between both devices here and there when I had time, earning rewards and generally having a lot of fun. I was considering plopping a little money into it to grease the wheels a little. When I have fun, and think a game might have legs, I have no problem priming the pump a little.

Then I hit the final fight with Daken and the final fight with Juggernaut in the final chapter of the first prologue chapter, and all fun went directly out the window. Game progression STOPPED, ground to a screeching halt, because of these two encounters which rank up with some of the most poorly thought out *things* in a video game I've ever seen. I was stuck on *just those two fights* for TWO WEEKS. I am aware you can just go to the next chapter and move on, but there's no reason to, if this is how the game is going to be. Daken is listed as normal difficulty and Juggernaut is labeled EASY, and they're both instantly unfair and impossible, which means that the only missions I can even hope to ever complete are trivial. That's insane.

Then Lollipop rendered MPQ broken on my tablet, and it was another week before I heard anything about when the problem might be fixed, which was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen. So now all I had was my phone account. To say that my initial impression of your game was intensely unpleasant would be an understatement.

My only other option to get stronger and pass this insane, all at once massive leap in difficulty is play the Danger Room missions, which either matchmake me against people literally fifty levels above me, or people who are level 5 against my level 15's/18's. There's also the event missions, in which I square off against another identical super-leveled hero, and the other two team members are again either fifty levels above me or sub-level 5 so as to be irrelevant. I cannot, repeat, CANNOT find a PVP or PVE match with even close to equal level characters. It has not happened once.

Here's how every single Daken fight goes: Every time I make a move, I might manage to clear a row, get a couple of chains going if I'm lucky. Every move THEY do, they get at least three chains, an extra move, and then because of the single morale boost tile ten spaces away from the nearest other yellow tile, everything I did last round is healed up to full. If I manage to get one and a half soldiers down by constantly stunning one of them with Black Widow, Daken will slice away half my health in one hit, and a rocket tile in the corner I can't reach will KO the rest of my team.

It is astonishing to me anyone looked at that fight, which is WAY above the abilities of anyone who's been casually playing that far and went "yeah, that's fair". Whoever did so needs to lose his job immediately. The soldier's levels need to be cut in half, Daken's level needs to be knocked down by a couple of ticks, and the countdown tiles have to be WAY harder for the enemy to throw out. This is the PROLOGUE, for god's sake. The fight would be difficult for someone who had a lot more teammate options and twice as many hours under their belt.

Here's how every single Juggernaut fight goes: I do one move, the enemy does a nonstop cascade of gems that halve one of my character's health on turn two, then the next two turns Juggernaut does Headbutt and Crashing Through one right after the other. Every time. I don't think in that final fight, I've made it to turn ten once. It takes me five turns to almost fill up one of Thor's bars that does piddle damage, and Juggernaut EFFORTLESSLY can do two one shot moves in a row that each take 7 AP. I'm talking by like turn 3 at the latest, every single time.

I have seen the post where your engineer says that the AI doesn't cheat, and I straight up do not believe him. I am, here and now, calling him a liar. I say this in complete confidence because this doesn't happen in the SHIELD and Event missions. It's a really fair back and forth that's also boring, because it's one duplicate hero slap fight with two irrelevant buddies, but the AI doesn't instantly slap me down turn three. Yet, when I head back to story mode, both fights feature rows of already formed triplets ready to auto score from the sky five, six times. Every turn. The differences between the two styles of battles are night and day.

There are missions in the second chapter that are listed as Hard. Hard!? What, does your device melt in your hands after the first turn? What constitutes hard in this game, when a normal challenge is the most unfair thing I've seen in twenty years of gaming?

Every time this happens, and I try once or twice to do these battles only to get insta-smashed, I'm done, by force, for more than an hour. The entire session takes ten minutes tops the losses are so quick, and every time that happens, It's an hour wait to try again unless I want to spend money. You're insane.

Last night I tried to play a match in an event and COULDN'T, because all that was available, skipping matches until it would cost ISO to do so, was teams that were fifty to one hundred levels ahead of me. Same deal with the SHIELD simulator. Since those were out, it was either impassable story missions or missions in another chapter that were trivial, wrote battles with gifted heroes that made team building irrelevant.

So basically, I couldn't play. I don't think I've ever seen a game, free or not, that did not want me to play it, and actively barred my progress this much. On top of this, every single screen that's not the actual battle was begging me to spend money on everything conceivable.

You are CRAZY if you think this experience makes people want to spend any money on your game. You would have to spend upwards of the equivalent of a full priced console game to make this nonsense even sort of fair or fun. It is revolting.

So here's my one bit of honest feedback for you guys, the only I can give: For an example of how to be an actual free to play game developer, and not money-grubbing, fun-smashing amateurs, go look at what Gazillion is doing with Marvel Heroes. They can teach you a thing or two about respecting your potential fanbase, character progression, professionalism, talent, fun, basically everything about how to be actual gave developers, and not licence-milking children. I'm off to one-star your app and uninstall.

Comments

• iLL619
    iLL619 Posts: 170
    If you spend $20 I guarantee your experience will change
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    The game is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time to build up a roster. More than two weeks worth anyway.
  • I remember hitting the insane difficult spikes in the story line. that was even before Daken had his third ablity. my phone account i only played the story til about lvl 30 about 1/2 way in the 3rd part then just played events to avoid that horrible scaling issue. Clearly someone wasn't doing their job. This game devolved from a fun interesting marvel universe game to a breakneck season paced, gotta catch the new one or else you can't place well in the next two events, money grab, doing everything in its power to prevent players from actually playing and enjoying this game for more then 3 tough fights. It is no fun finally developing your roster only to lose the first 3 fight to teams you should not lose to due to run away cascading then have to sit and wait for another 2 hours to let health packs regenerate to try again. this game has it it issues some will get fixed some many not. this is the first game that made me want to throw my phone just to get the cascades to stop. if you want a marvel time waster game and can deal with alot of pain. MPQ may be for you.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I posted this yesterday in another thread somewhat similar;
    Honestly, MPQ is pretty forgiving to the new crowd.

My advice to a new player;
    • Play lots of PvE. You'll get a lot of ISO, which becomes a rarity later in your playing cycle, so every little bit counts. You can score 2* covers from Progression Rewards, which is always good. You can earn yourself some Boosts and Team-Ups, which you can use in PvP to win a few matches here and there you really shouldn't.
    • Play Lightning Rounds out when you can. These are the best way to get ISO, by far. If you start them at the very beginning, you'll get a fair few Seed Teams (i.e. super easy) and you can get a pretty decent amount of points from them. Progression Rewards are easy to attain. Potential to place for a decent token is pretty good.
    • Learn to effectively grind PvPs. You're not going to place in PvP for awhile (and you shouldn't be able to), but, the good news is, PvP is still a great score of covers and income for you --- you just have to learn how. 2* covers drop randomly from PvP fights and they drop at a pretty decent rate (I covered three 2* just from random drops basically alone). You're going to hit a point, probably pretty low (around 300 I would guess, if not lower) that you can't win anymore. Pick a node and lose. The great thing about low level characters is they recover really fast, and by losing your MMR ("Match Making Rating") goes down and you'll start seeing lower level nodes again.
    • Play the Shield Simulator. This is a great way to get lower level covers really early. You get a cover every 50 points until 300 and another cover every 100 points after that (other than a few Hero Point prizes, but those are invaluable! You want those.), even granted a few 2* at 1600/1700/1800/2000/2100/2200 points and two 3* at the very top at 2300/2400. Chances are you won't be able to get 2* covers at first, but solidifying your 1* roster is the first step.
    • Last but not least, join a public Alliance. It doesn't seem like much, but the bonus ISO is fantastic, and if your Alliance does well enough, you might even get free covers at the end of an event. If you find yourself outperforming your Alliance mates as a whole, go looking for a higher ranked one. Always keep moving forward.

As mentioned, MPQ is a marathon, not a sprint. Slow down a little. This game is a time sink, not the next Call of Duty.

Also, as far as what you mentioned with the Daken and Juggernaut nodes, there are a few nodes that are meant for you to go back and do later, kind of like a side mission in an RPG. If you find a node you can't beat, I guarantee you there are new nodes in another chapter you can beat, If you, by some oddity, do find a point where you literally cannot progress anymore, you should go back to past node and play the ones giving away covers for characters you have so you can level them up further. I played through the entire Prologue with relative ease, dying only a handful of times. I even beat the Ragnarok node in my first go (though barely).

That being said Daken, Juggernaut, Bullseye, and Wolverine can be very rough characters in the early cycles of the game. The game judges node "difficulty" by comparing your roster's level to the node's level. It's pretty arbitrary and sometimes useless. You'll learn to eyeball it with time. If your max leveled character is a level 18 1*, you're literally just scratching the surface of the game.

If you'd like some more specific pointers, feel free to give some extra details about your roster. Plenty of people around here will be glad to give you pointers.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like the above posts say, marathon, not sprint. Unless you drop some cash. But I had a very similar experience when I started. I just went back and re played all the easy ones that I had already beaten for the iso and the covers. By the time I got all 4 rewards from the trivial and easy nodes, I was able to take on Juggs, Daken, and Rags. Plus it helped me form a more effective strategy. Which is hard to do when you are concentrating on staying alive.

My adive; go back and replay the easy ones for iso and covers to build up your characters. Just don't give up. If you do, then the game wins. Also, you will be missing out on one of the best games out there.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    In addition to what others have said, DO NOT SPEND $ early on except to expand your roster