Is this an end to free to play?

Options
With shieds I predict that for first few months the heavy spenders will rule, knocking off most casual players or turning obss. players like me into weekend warriors.By the time the big spenders have all there covers it will be shooting fish in a barrell trying to compete.I have seen and quit many games over just this issue, please fight human behavior and restrain the gap big spenders have or in the long run this great game will also fade out and that would be awful. AresWr4th

Comments

• Besides the obvious case where you no longer plan on playing, shields actually help others more than it helps you when used outside of any period besides the last hour or so of a tournament. In this game, assuming your rating wasn't the result of some fluke, it's pretty easy to regain whatever rating you lost, especially now that the overall points will be inflated so it's even easier. Of course, if you don't plan on playing the game again for the duration of the event, this is not applicable and you should use a shield.

So why would you want to use shields if they really help other people? Because helping other people ends up helping you as you get more victims with high points for your own gain as well.
  • the hardcore players already have most or all of the covers already
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Err...I see tons of low-level players doing ridiculously well this tournament. Like...leaps and bounds better than before. Do you have three 2* chars at a decent level? Well, then you qualify for 1400 points and all the benefits that go with that. Only thing you have to do is play.
  • I'm not making much progress across 900, because apparently very few people in my MMR range have that kind of score. I'm using the loaned IM40, but since he's a slow character I can often still squeak out a victory against guys with level 50+ IM40s (and a strong support team) since it takes a long time before IM40 brings out his big moves on you. I try to keep a color open (usually blue, and IM40 always gets environmental tiles) for the loaned IM40 so he can eat a Unibeam by the opposing IM40.
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    Options
    Shields have helped me tremendously in this current tournament.
    After 2.5 months of continuous play my Spiderman is still 0/2/1

To upgrade an existing cover it's 1250 HP.

In this tourney I spent 200 HP for a 24 hour boost and another 50HP for a 3 hr boost (since I'm at work and can't play for the last few hours of the tourney)

Without shields I wouldn't clear top 50 in this tourney since it ends at 9am my time.
    No I'm going to be top 15, win two Spidey covers, earn 100 HP as a reward along with 150 HP in Progressions.

I net spent 0 HP, got a cover that would cost 1250 to upgrade and earned my first yellow which I haven't been able to get in 2.5 months.