Lollipop Issues - devs knew since October

Walala84
Walala84 Posts: 34
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey guys,

I just wanted to bring attention to the Lollipop issue happening with MPQ at the moment. (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19149&start=60)

I did some searching on the forums and found out that devs have been aware that Lollipop breaks MPQ since October (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17987&p=246273&hilit=lollipop#p237728). Could I have searched the forums or google before upgrading to see if anyone had issues? Most definitely, so my fault for not doing that; but an announcement advising us not to upgrade would have nipped this in the bud.

I understand things break, but I'm just frustrated that this wasn't at least communicated if devs were aware. They announced that they were working on it about a week ago, but I'm hoping that posting something here will at least light a fire and hopefully, devs can chime in and assure us that this is a top priority.

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Its nice to invest $100 just to see a loading screen!!
    I want my money back!!!!! icon_evil.gif
  • It is frustrating at best. I would like this to be an issue that at least gets some good old-fashioned MPQ hand-waving double-speak devoted to it.
  • Maybe we will be justly compensated
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    shmau wrote:
    Maybe we will be justly compensated

Yea... You're definitely new here. Keep your expectations in the basement and you'll have a good time. If not, I see a rage post in your future.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    emaker27 wrote:
    shmau wrote:

Yea... You're definitely new here. Keep your expectations in the basement and you'll have a good time. If not, I see a rage post in your future.

Should I remind you of Anniversary Week or maybe the Hero Point refunds for Alliance Slots? icon_redface.gificon_question.gificon_redface.gif
  • Why am I not allowed to say <swearing removed>?! If it was swearing it would have changed to tinkitty! If there was a god he would have fixed the game by now and given me my <swearing removed> money back!
    Sweet Odin's beard!
  • This blows. If they truly knew, they should have let people know via an announcement like you said. I agree.
    HulkSmash wrote:
    Why am I not allowed to say <swearing removed>?! If it was swearing it would have changed to tinkitty! If there was a god he would have fixed the game by now and given me my <swearing removed> money back!
    Sweet Odin's beard!
    I heard you could get refunds easier via Google Play Store or iOS App Store. I'm not sure if they refund money spent in the game though. I heard you also need to give it a 1 star review but I'm not sure of the details for a refund. Look into that. I'm playing on PC.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    From the thread in the bug report forum:
    Hi Android 5.0 users, just wanted to drop you all a note. This is our one of our top priorities right now. Unfortunately, we don't have a fix yet, and no estimate of when we will. But I can give you a little context for how we got here.

We've had our eye on the update to support Android 5.0, but weren't aware that some devices were getting updated this soon. Totally our fault; it just slipped past us. We actually did a bunch of the work months ago, and the game was working fine. Unfortunately, since the developer preview version of the OS that we were using and the final version that made its way to you guys, there are apparently some new features that are fundamentally incompatible with our engine. We jumped back on it last Friday when we started hearing about crashes. It was frustratingly slow going at first, as we couldn't reproduce the crashes on the devices that were using the developer preview version. But now we're on track; we're seeing the same crashes here, and think we know what's going on, but there are no obvious fixes.

Excuses, excuses. I'm personally disappointed about this, and a lot of our friends and family can no longer play the game. We've been putting a lot of effort into our Android version lately, with improved keyboard and Google Play support, only to be undermined by this. I know we let you guys down. We learned a big lesson here, and will be keeping a much closer eye on the Android release schedules. I hope you all stick by us while we get this fixed.

As usual, I probably won't have time to reply to any posts in this thread, but you'll be hearing from HiFi when we have more news.

So they tinykittied the timeframe but the actual bug is not the same one that was identified in October.
  • HulkSmash wrote:
    Why am I not allowed to say <swearing removed>?! If it was swearing it would have changed to tinkitty! If there was a god he would have fixed the game by now and given me my <swearing removed> money back!
    Sweet Odin's beard!
    The existence of a filter list should not be taken as permission to use any word not on the filter list. Common sense should be applied (hence the reason "sweet Odin's beard" remains). And I'm pretty sure if any god like entities exist, fixing any game would be a pretty low priority for him/her.
  • Post deleted and 1 day ban issued.
  • GothicKratos
    Be patient. There's no reason to believe they're not working on it, they only lose by having part of their playerbase unable to play.

From what they said, it's not a change switch /a/ to switch /b/ issue, it's a fundamental integrity issue. It very well may take a little bit of time. They will likely have to rewrite a far chunk of code to workaround whatever isn't playing nice.

I know it's no consolation, but it's just how it is. =[
  • HulkSmash wrote:
    Deleting quoted post.

How dare you insinuate that

ICEX IS SPIDERMAN??

Geez, even when insulted I can't stop making jokes.

Are you seriously going to tell me that your current situation justifies going to a public place and completely bashing a religion?

I don't care if you are the ultimate heathen sinner, the most devout person on the planet, or anyone in between. The fact that you would say those things makes you a prick.

The fact that you would say those things over a video game makes you a not nice person (mod edit - let's keep it civil).

The fact that you would say those things in a public forum with representatives from many nations, cultures, and lifestyles just makes you a really not nice person.
  • emaker27 wrote:
    shmau wrote:

Should I remind you of Anniversary Week or maybe the Hero Point refunds for Alliance Slots? icon_redface.gificon_question.gificon_redface.gif
    Those two were planned give aways and not really compensation. I remember back when mpq had an issue with being down for the last hour of a pvp with blue hood which I was aiming for. So instead of getting that blue hood I got a token which I 'might' have a chance of pulling a hood which I inevitably pulled a useless 2 star.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    emaker27 wrote:
    shmau wrote:

Those only came to be when this forum collective pushed back hard enough. Doesn't guarantee anything, imho.
    (Also; technically, the tokens being shunted to the anniversary lightning rounds wasn't compensation, but whatever...)
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    From the thread in the bug report forum:
    Hi Android 5.0 users, just wanted to drop you all a note. This is our one of our top priorities right now. Unfortunately, we don't have a fix yet, and no estimate of when we will. But I can give you a little context for how we got here.

We've had our eye on the update to support Android 5.0, but weren't aware that some devices were getting updated this soon. Totally our fault; it just slipped past us. We actually did a bunch of the work months ago, and the game was working fine. Unfortunately, since the developer preview version of the OS that we were using and the final version that made its way to you guys, there are apparently some new features that are fundamentally incompatible with our engine. We jumped back on it last Friday when we started hearing about crashes. It was frustratingly slow going at first, as we couldn't reproduce the crashes on the devices that were using the developer preview version. But now we're on track; we're seeing the same crashes here, and think we know what's going on, but there are no obvious fixes.

This is the text-book example of why you have a prepared test plan that you re-run as soon as the final RTM version of the OS lands.
    If this is Demiurge's justification for screwing with all the Android 5 users, then it's truly laughably bad.
  • HulkSmash wrote:
    Deleting quoted post.

ICEX IS SPIDERMAN??

Sorry for ruining the context of your joke by deleting the post. However, in the future, it is better to simply report the inflammatory post and let your moderators and/or Hi-Fi take care of things. Stooping to posting insults yourself only furthers the downward spiral.
  • GothicKratos
    futongus wrote:
    emaker27 wrote:
    shmau wrote:

Those two were planned give aways and not really compensation. I remember back when mpq had an issue with being down for the last hour of a pvp with blue hood which I was aiming for. So instead of getting that blue hood I got a token which I 'might' have a chance of pulling a hood which I inevitably pulled a useless 2 star.

I meant the additional of Anniversary Tokens as compensation to a mistake earlier in the Anniversary Week and the move from giving a partial refund of Hero Points (equal to a small timeframe) to giving a complete and total refund of all Alliance Slot purchases.

@Rio: My point wasn't anything to do with the amount of "push" needed to get the compensation, but the fact they did, in fact, compensate the player base. They didn't have to, no matter how you slice it, and most companies would have told you to kick rocks.
  • Riggy wrote:
    HulkSmash wrote:
    Deleting quoted post.

ICEX IS SPIDERMAN??

Sorry for ruining the context of your joke by deleting the post. However, in the future, it is better to simply report the inflammatory post and let your moderators and/or Hi-Fi take care of things. Stooping to posting insults yourself only furthers the downward spiral.

No worries and no hard feelings. I knew that I was giving you some more work to do, and for that I apologize. But I won't apologize for what I said. I didn't consider it posting insults, I consider it posting truth. This wasn't an instance of a person letting their temper get the best of them in a real life argument. He had those thoughts, typed them out, and in the time of all that, still thought it a good idea to hit submit. That is an tinykitty if every there was one. I will do my very best to not respond in that way again. I realize you have a job to do and I didn't make it easier.