Attack and Protect tiles strength (Iron Man, Storm Modern)

Options
I think it is increasing with level, but by how much for each character? I see that my level 23 Storm Modern has Attack Tiles with 3 strength, so is it increasing with every 10 levels? Can someone confirm? Iron Man has protect tiles with no strength shown in ability description, but strength 1 protect tiles on level 20 would be too low, so it's probably something higher? icon_e_smile.gif Captain America and Magneto (Classic) have their Protect Tiles strength stated in ability descriptions.

Maybe these descriptions (Iron Man, Storm) should be corrected?

Comments

• Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Options
    Not sure if its much help, but if you use Iron Man's protect tiles, you can click on them to see exactly how much they are protecting.
  • I can't say something about when storms attack tiles changed from 1 to 2, but at level 21 was the first level with +3 Attack tiles. Iron Mans protect tiles scaling with level, at lvl 31 its at 9 points per tile i think.
  • Dninot wrote:
    Not sure if its much help, but if you use Iron Man's protect tiles, you can click on them to see exactly how much they are protecting.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. It helps a lot icon_e_smile.gif
  • This isn't meant to hijack the thread. Explaining my specific situation is the only way I can explain why I believe this information is needed for the player to make an informed decision. In almost all aspects MPQ gives as much information and detail as possible, really allowing the player to strategize quite a bit. I LOVE the game for that, by the way (I was a huge fan of the original PQ as well).

Here is my situation and why I think we need this information clarified.

My Storm is currently at 3/3/3. I have a "Hailstorm" cover and a "Mistress of the Elements" cover (and full up on cover space, too! >_<). Which one should I level up? I can't make an informed decision because I have no idea what the damage is per tile at Storm's max level. I know I want to get I have "Lightning Strike" maxed. How should I train her? 5/5/3, 5/3/5, or 5/4/4? My gut is saying 5/4/3, because I haven't seen any other character do anything with Environment tiles. In fact, now I'm thinking maybe I should go with 4/5/3. Blerg.

Again, I don't mean to hijack the thread, so feel free to ignore the question itself if you think it against posting guidelines, it is mostly meant as an example, I can post this question officially in the character thread, if need be. Thanks!
  • Not sure how much they level over time, but Iron Man's level 50 protect value for a maxed out armored assault is 14 per tile (so, 4 tiles equaling total protection of 56). Also deals 324 damage into the equation. Modern Storm's at level 4 hailstorm, character level 50 for me puts 24 attack tiles damaging for 7 points each. I'm not sure if level 5 hailstorm increases the damage quotient - I wouldn't have thought so.

Bingoclamshell - Modern Storm was one of the first characters I maxed out abilities wise (I have a 5-4-4 build), before I knew of this board or the concept behind maximum levels. When I came on here and saw that maxed out hailstorm added 32 attack tiles, I was kind of miffed because those extra tiles amounted to more potential damage. However, if I ever need to run Modern Storm in my lineup, the extra damage is rarely needed - I have other characters there to deal damage. So I'm pretty happy with how my version turned out in the end. Modern Storm's primary focus for me during the 1* event was lightning strike (at level 5, destroying 16 random tiles), which bolstered other AP categories with a little damage added in as a bonus. Mistress of the elements can be really useful if the board clogs up with environment tiles, dealing 34 damage for each one at max level. It's particularly useful on the forest level, where you can boost all AP categories for 5, at the expense of 100 health. Well worth the trade off in tougher battles.

Ultimately, there's rarely a right or wrong way to go, a lot can depend on your playing style - i.e. whether you like to get some quick damage on the board early, or build up for a much larger (and potentially riskier) attack. Riskier in the fact that you need more AP, giving your opponents a window to do the same to you!

Hope that helps a little.
  • Again, I don't mean to hijack the thread, so feel free to ignore the question itself if you think it against posting guidelines, it is mostly meant as an example, I can post this question officially in the character thread, if need be. Thanks!
    It's a good question, I have that dilemma myself. I don't know if I should level up Mistress of Elements higher than 3, because I tend to collect AP for Iron Man's Repulsor Blast. So 4/4/5 or 5/3/5?
  • 5/3/5 looks like a good build, if you are pairing with Model 35 Iron Man.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    ...Hope that helps a little.
    Holy ****, yes. Thanks so much.
    Stormheart wrote:
    t's a good question, I have that dilemma myself. I don't know if I should level up Mistress of Elements higher than 3, because I tend to collect AP for Iron Man's Repulsor Blast. So 4/4/5 or 5/3/5?

Soon after I posted my reply, I actually went ahead and bumped MotE up to 4, mainly because I just couldn't handle being full up on covers anymore, lol.

After reading The Ladder's detailed reply, here's my opinion. Here's my thought process of why I'm going to go with 5/4/4.

Lighting Strike - 5 - Really useful in nearly all situations, IMO. Beyond the obvious benefits, I just want to note that, even though it's random, the power seems to pretty consistently destroy opponent countdown tiles and/or let me get to them easier. I don't know how many times it saved me from damage just by taking out that dirty little green gem in the bottom corner that I couldn't do anything about. icon_e_smile.gif

Mistress of the Elements - 4 - Having MotE at Level 4 brings the cost down to 6. That is important to me, because that means I only need two matches, instead of three. In my experience, there are a lot of games that by my 3rd-5th turn, the board starts to get pretty covered in Environment tiles. Leveling up MotE to 5, reduces the cost to 5. I see very little benefit to that reduction in cost. There is only one situation that I can see that really helping, and it would take longer to describe than it is worth to me, lol.

Hailstorm - 4 - At level four you'll convert 24 tiles. At level five you'll convert 32 (?) tiles. I could just be unlucky with this, but at my current Level 3 (20 tiles), 2-6 of those are usually gone by the time it's my turn again. I feel that adding more tiles will only make it more likely for them to be grouped together and eliminated. More importantly, if all is going according to plan, I'm usually getting to the second round of Lightning Strike and/or MotE, when Hailstorm ends up being ready to use. So, I only really use Hailstorm after the second round of her other abilities. Normally at this point I am fighting the last opponent, so it's really only helping with clean up, for me.
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Options
    All this has me thinking that we really need to get a strategy subforum for people to post their teams and builds. This is amazing stuff guys, great reading.
  • Stormheart wrote:
    Again, I don't mean to hijack the thread, so feel free to ignore the question itself if you think it against posting guidelines, it is mostly meant as an example, I can post this question officially in the character thread, if need be. Thanks!
    It's a good question, I have that dilemma myself. I don't know if I should level up Mistress of Elements higher than 3, because I tend to collect AP for Iron Man's Repulsor Blast. So 4/4/5 or 5/3/5?

This is just my opinion but I'd go with 5/3/5. Her red is a great ability but it already comes up again before there's enough environment tiles to be worthwhile to use again immediately. Meanwhile both Lightning and Hailstorm get a lot out of the 4th and 5th upgrades.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    Her red is a great ability but it already comes up again before there's enough environment tiles to be worthwhile to use again immediately. Meanwhile both Lightning and Hailstorm get a lot out of the 4th and 5th upgrades.

To make sure I understand, are you saying it is not an effective power to spam twice in a row? I 100% agree with you on that.

To clarify how I play:
    What I tend to do is immediately go for red and green matches when I play with Storm. I'd say in 1/4 (or more) of games where I use Storm (especially against mobs), I am able to chain MotE to Lightning Strike to MotE and back to Lightning Strike, pretty consistently. Meaning, I pop four powers in a row before taking my next turn. Sometimes the reverse order ends up being better or I just get more green matches first. It works just as well if I use Lighning Strike first, too... But, as I mentioned, MotE is a possible opening move if you use boosts to get the starting +6 Red AP.

You can probably see that they way I play with her, I am clearing so many tiles that Hailstorm won't be helping until later. It is a GREAT clean up skill though, even at level 3. After I pop the MotE -> LS -> MotE -> LS combo, I tend to be very low on Red/Green, but am usually nearing (or already have) a use of Hailstorm ready to go, along with (possibly) a Iron Man Repulsor Blast (Yellow) or Black Widow Widow's Sting (Blue) ready as well, which complement it very well.

EDIT: I should mention that these are my findings with my Level 25 Storm currently only at 4/4/3 (to be 5/4/4), lol. I'm not even there yet, myself.