AP Generation and 4hor's charged tiles

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
With 4hor's Power Surge and Hood's Twin Pistols, as I explained here, Twin Pistols could reliably collect 30+ AP from charged tiles, usually with enough AP to repeat the cycle. It was announced that Sentry and Hood would be changed, with Hood's Twin Pistols no longer collecting AP. Let's look at 4hor's power.
    Power Surge - Blue 9 AP bluetile.png
    Thor raises Mjolnir to the sky, summoning a lightning storm to shock and stagger her foes. Stuns the enemy for 1 turn and converts 3 random basic redtile.pngbluetile.pngyellowtile.png tiles to Charged tiles.
      Level 2: Stuns the target for 2 turns. Level 3: Creates 4 Charged tiles. Level 4: Stuns the target for 3 turns and creates 5 Charged tiles. Level 5: Stuns for 4 turns and creates 12 Charged tiles
    Max Level: Stuns target for 4 turns and creates 12 Charged tiles

What else could exploit the 12 charged tiles offered by Power Surge?
      Force Bubbles - 13 bluetile.png
      Force Field Crush - 9 greentile.png
      Invisible Woman shatters a 3x3 area around 1 random Force Bubble, dealing 42 damage and unlocking but not destroying it. If there are no Force Bubbles on the board, she creates 1 in a random location. This ability ends the turn. Generates AP.
        Level 2: Unlocks or places 2 Force Bubbles Level 3: Each unlocked Force Bubble does 84 damage Level 4: Unlocks or places 3 Force Bubbles Level 5: Each unlocked Force Bubble does 168 damage
      Max Level: 724 damage for each released bubble

Requires 22 bluetile.png and 9 greentile.png to do a combo. Extremely hard to pull off even as an exercise.
        Surgical Strike - 11 blacktile.png
        Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy's ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team's strongest color, dealing 32 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
          Level 2: Deals 87 damage per tile. Level 3: Deals 137 damage per tile. Level 4: Also reduces enemy AP in their strongest color by 10. Level 5: Deals 265 damage per tile. Destroyed tiles now generate AP.
        Max Level: 522 damage per tile

Up against an enemy with strongest power redtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png , the amount of AP generated is roughly doubled after a power surge, otherwise there is no gain except from the cascade effect.
          Lightning Strike - Green 10 greentile.png
          Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
            Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles. Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles. Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles. Level 5: Shatters 14 tiles.

With a Power Surge, there will 24 extra AP on the board, so each tile has an average value of 1 and 3/8ths AP. Destroying 14 of them generates about 19 AP, plus any cascade effect.
            Magnetic Flux - Red 8 AP
            Magneto creates an unstable magnetic field. Turns a random basic Red tile into a 3 turn Countdown tile that deals 183 damage to the current target.
              Level 2: Reduces countdown to 2, +1 AP cost. Level 3: Destroy a 3x3 block around the Countdown tile. +2 AP cost. Level 4: Reduces countdown to 1. Level 5: Destroy a 5x5 block, +3 AP cost.
            Max Level: 2131 damage

14 redtile.png , but that countdown tile frequently shows up on the edge or a corner. With ideal placement, generates about 34 AP. Plus he's squishy as a 2*. Then again, he can lay down blue tiles with Polarity Shift, giving another tile collection option.

Looks like the winner here is Storm. She'll be better than anyone else at exploiting charged tiles. Also, her greentile.pngblacktile.png skills synergize well with 4hor's redtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png skills. The second winner is X-Force, who needs to be choosier about opponents. His greentile.pngblacktile.png skills also synergize well. But who am I kidding .. X-Force / 4hor is gonna lead here. They don't have a guaranteed fast win, but they are extremely powerful, and don't need a combo to win.

Comments

• Nonce Equitaur 2
              Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
              Options
              Strongest Color determines Surgical Strike. If you don't want the strongest color to be blacktile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png for an X-4horce team, that just leaves purpletile.png .

Daredevil is the only 3* character whose strongest color is unambiguously purpletile.png. So he might be the best person to put front and center against X-4horce. It would be super fun if an enemy Power Surge could charge up existing traps to have triple effect: 27120 damage on enemy match, stuns for 18 turns, steals 18AP from all colors on an enemy match. That would be so delicious, it just has to be done. Daredevil might say "Hey, I didn't ask enemy Lady Thor to charge up my traps for me." It shouldn't work for friendly traps, that would be overpowered.

Daredevil can also use those charged redtile.pngbluetile.png tiles, and would just need a few matches to lay down a lot of traps.
            • dkffiv
              dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
              Options
              Strongest Color determines Surgical Strike. If you don't want the strongest color to be blacktile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png for an X-4horce team, that just leaves purpletile.png .

Daredevil is the only 3* character whose strongest color is unambiguously purpletile.png. So he might be the best person to put front and center against X-4horce. It would be super fun if an enemy Power Surge could charge up existing traps to have triple effect: 27120 damage on enemy match, stuns for 18 turns, steals 18AP from all colors on an enemy match. That would be so delicious, it just has to be done. Daredevil might say "Hey, I didn't ask enemy Lady Thor to charge up my traps for me." It shouldn't work for friendly traps, that would be overpowered.

Daredevil can also use those charged redtile.pngbluetile.png tiles, and would just need a few matches to lay down a lot of traps.

GSBW Deadpool and Loki are all purple as well, though Loki will be lower than the others due to only having 2 covers.
            • Strongest Color determines Surgical Strike. If you don't want the strongest color to be blacktile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png for an X-4horce team, that just leaves purpletile.png .

icon_deadpool.png :mystique:
            • What about Power Surge into matching charged yellow tiles for IM40 Recharge level 1 or 2 to propagate a Smite/Power Surge loop, maybe even stun lock if you can get Intimidation to speed up Recharge
            • gamar wrote:

Daredevil is the only 3* character whose strongest color is unambiguously purpletile.png....
              Mystique's not a good person to put up front because she creates purple and her countdown is on purple. Deadpool, might be alright, but who uses Deadpool unless you're trying to whales to death purpletile.png ?
            • Dayv
              Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
              Options
              No matter what, charged tiles are gonna change the hell out of the meta. We've already seen one middling skill get nerfed because of charged tiles -- what other skills will suffer the same fate?
            • daibar wrote:
              gamar wrote:

Daredevil is the only 3* character whose strongest color is unambiguously purpletile.png....
              who uses Deadpool?

The people who want me to skip them when I'm shield hopping because I don't want Sentry or Hood to get a little off the top
            • DayvBang wrote:
              No matter what, charged tiles are gonna change the hell out of the meta. We've already seen one middling skill get nerfed because of charged tiles -- what other skills will suffer the same fate?
              Lets hope none. Hood was popular enough and the change was lateral enough (imo) that it was necessary. All other AP generation skills SHOULD have already been considered when the idea of charge tiles was introduced. Do charge tiles make AP generating skills better? Yes. Does that mean they have to change? No.

Everyone has partners they work especially well with. Hood/Sentry, Daken/Patch, BP/Thor, and now Goddess/Anyone who has AP generating tile destroying powers. IW is terrible enough to not really be considered. Her powers are going to drastically change whenever they get around to redesigning her. X-Force on the other hand, is pretty good, and making SS better is dangerous. But, at the same time, Black charge tiles will be very very rare, so the pattern isn't repeatable and if you use SS typically you already win so... is it really game breaking? I say no. As far as Storm goes (and you forgot 2* Storm Nonce), her other powers are kinda meh. Her health is VERY meh. Her green was already toned down back when Desert Storm was a thing. It doesn't need to be tweaked down further. If that means Storm and Thor hang out, so be it.