What's a viable 3 star team?

Options
2»

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What percentage of the player base even has a max XF and max Fury right now? 0.01%? And Fury has been out for 4-5 months.

Sentry-Hood-Daken will still beat that group, that maybe .0001% of the base will have anytime soon.
  • What percentage of the player base even has a max XF and max Fury right now? 0.01%? And Fury has been out for 4-5 months.

Sentry-Hood-Daken will still beat that group, that maybe .0001% of the base will have anytime soon.
    Not to be a jerk, but do you ever try to get past like, 600? Due to how matchmaking works, if you're aiming for high scores, you're going to see this 0.01% all the time. In fact, they make up every single team that isn't Sentry/Hood. Also, the number with max XF is surprisingly high.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What percentage of the player base even has a max XF and max Fury right now? 0.01%? And Fury has been out for 4-5 months.

Not to be a jerk, but do you ever try to get past like, 600? Due to how matchmaking works, if you're aiming for high scores, you're going to see this 0.01% all the time. In fact, they make up every single team that isn't Sentry/Hood. Also, the number with max XF is surprisingly high.

Generally I go for 800 because I am a pathetic character collector and need that hp for roster slots. I still see sentry far more than xf, and hardly any fury (for the simple reason that fury is unsuited to fast matches). Some of the xf are even underlevelled or even missing covers, or not optimally covered, if you check on rosters.

With the way T4or plays (not very speedy, risky to own team), I expect you'll still be seeing lots of sentry at high-level pvp even after most people have her covered.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yes, I'm through the transition. I've hit 1300 in events. I NEVER see Fury-XForce teams. Of the Sentry bombers, very few actually have them both maxed. I mean, just looking through the top 5 alliances

1) Xmen2 - I count 5 that have both Fury and XForce maxed. Most have them cover maxed of course, because they're them.
    2) Xmen - Count 5 again (6 if you count the guy who has a double Fury and almost double Xmen.
    3) RaiderOutlaws - I count 3 (that's counting one with a 270/261 build, close enough)
    4) Shiar Empire - None. Most don't even have Fury above 166.
    5) Xmenace - 3 more here.

That's 16/100. 16 players in the alliances we know have the resources and wherewithal to invest in this 'amazing' combination. Many of whom who have Fury cover maxed and haven't even brought him above 166, let alone to 270.

Yes, most if not all have XForce maxed, or at minimum in the 200s. But the OP is specifically talking about all 4* teams. No one is using the team that has 5 of the 6 colors covered and is easily supported by Deadpool.

You might see XForce-Thorina-Deadpool (or other purple user) if she's really that powerful, but the amount of players that will actually use Fury-Thorina-XForce for everything they do is likely to be in the double digits, tops.
  • There are plenty of reasons to leave a 4* leveled to 166. Those extra 104 levels don't add THAT much damage, and having a 270 on your roster really ruins your PvE experience.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I have max cover Nick Fury, Xforce, Devil Dino and Insignificant Woman. But I don't really want to transition to 4 star land yet.
    4 star covers are easier to get, you only need to spend iso on 3 characters, then you are done, forever.
    So, you're lamenting that you believe there's an overwhelmingly dominant team comp on the horizon, which clearly means that there's literally no point to play at all after you get that team.

But, at the same time, you already have the current top team comps fully covered in your roster, and you clearly still have a reason not to be "done, forever."

... right.
    Please, please, please level your unused 3*s and try again. People get past nodes with xf and fury in pve all the time, and without using any 4* since it's pve and mirror matches are not allowed. Why have all these covered 3* if you don't use them?
    thats my point I need 6 million iso to level them, or what $4,000 i WANT to play my 3 stars, with this broad diverse range of options not this tinykitty 1 option 4 star team. I go to 4 star land, I have no reason to keep playing, my end game is maxed I have 1 option for a team what a bore. Im staying in 3 star land.
    There's a middle ground between "max none of your 3*s" and "max all of your 3*s." It's called "max some of your 3*s."

That's where the vast majority of high-level vets reside.
    please. Thour/ Fury/ Xforce has 37K health it only needs... Then when you have 13 covers for these thee characters, and leveled them up to 270 there is NO REASON TO KEEP PLAYING. please even if you can't name a team that would beat this line up name a single character that you would make room for in a three roster slot that would make this team better. But this team is still bracketed with 3 star as 'end game' anyone please name one character you would swap out any of these characters for??? Lthor or patch maybe but guess what, you cant mirror pick.
    You have a bizarre definition of "viable." Typically, "viable" doesn't mean "clearly better than a top-tier team."

But anyway, to answer your rather strange question: I'd take DP over Fury. You can take a look at my roster if you don't believe me (and no, not leveling Fury further isn't due to a lack of Iso).
    Not to be a jerk, but I almost never see max Fury... ever... at any point level... and I've hit 2K before.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I had a long response started, but I'm going to keep it short and say simply that D3 has a huge interest in promoting the 3* game. Consequently, I expect them to continue to preferably buff 3* characters and to limit 4* usage in general. If the devs need to, they may increase these buffs, or perform another "level shift" type of change to keep 3* characters the major chase item. I think that's all I need to say on this topic.

Keep your diverse roster and if you are really, really interested in the PvP game, level max the best best PvP competitors just as every one has suggested.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    so lets see how many force teams there are in 2 weeks when Sentry gets nerfed. He is no longer the fastest win in the game so I think we will see wall to wall Xforce at higher brackets. Sure not a lot of peeps have Fury and you dont see him around, I personally don't rate him cause you invite attacks from peeps looking for team ups. I guess i just chucked him in there to convey my point. ATM there is two strats to high scores Sentry/Hood and Xforce/ Daken, when sentry gets the ugly stick I can't see any viable team but Xforce.
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    I think with any 'strategy' type game the best ones have a rock - paper - scissors mentality. This probably most pertains to the Hard counters post http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7122

Lets look at possible strategies in the game and what should hard counter them:

AP Steal > Big AOE Abilities > Fast individual damage > Heal > Defense tiles > Tanks > Strike Tiles > back to AP steal

This is very basic and wrong in many ways, I am trying to make a point. It should be drawn in a circle but I am not artistic. Each ability should be Excellent against the one on its right, Very good 2 moves right, good 3 moves right, bad 4 moves right, really bad 5 moves right and unplayable 6 moves right.

If we had good balance you should be able to look at any character and they fit into either one of these categories, or a hybrid of 2. If you had a good game with well balanced characters you should never have a one size fits all team, if according to the above the opponent has a fast individual damage team, I should load up my Big AOE team and have an advantage over them. Conversely on defense the next player comes along and sees my big AOE damage team and loads up their AP steal team.

When the devs make a character they should decide which category they are slotting the character into and design the character around the existing characters in that category. If one of the categories is not well represented they should add the next character to that category. So Lets say they are designing a strike tile team, they look at the existing First tier: Daken/ Blade. Second tier: Patch/ punisher/ sentry etc. And say what character/ colors/ abilities would make them better and work around that.

This is how the game should be balanced. This would broaden rosters and limit power creep. The problem largely atm is that there is an overarching team, which consists of Xforce, and Thour will too, that over arches all of this and beats any of these teams. The one strategy to win strategy game. That's why 4 star players should be either bracketed completely away form 3 & 2 star players, or the 4 star should be massively broadened or Xforce should get nerfed and Thour nerfed before release.
  • I think the problem here is you are so against sticking to "one team" that you are not gonna have even one team that is viable. If you had not wasted all the iso getting the **** guys to level 100 (she hulk/ DD for example). You would have a great team of 3 star maxed guys. Xforce is very costly to level but totally worth it. Why make the game harder than it has to be? This is a match 3 with good characters and bad characters. There aren't that many strategies. Ignoring a winning one because it's boring is your choice but don't come here and complain that all your 3 stars suck.
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    sms4002 wrote:
    I think the problem here is you are so against sticking to "one team" that you are not gonna have even one team that is viable. If you had not wasted all the iso getting the **** guys to level 100 (she hulk/ DD for example). You would have a great team of 3 star maxed guys. Xforce is very costly to level but totally worth it. Why make the game harder than it has to be? This is a match 3 with good characters and bad characters. There aren't that many strategies. Ignoring a winning one because it's boring is your choice but don't come here and complain that all your 3 stars suck.
    isn't the idea of a discussion board to have a discussion?