A proposal to increase sense of progression

Options
atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
One of the common complaints about Mpq is the poor sense of progression, especially for the 2* to 3* transition players.

I thought about it for a while, and I have a suggestion that may improve the perception, while not affecting the bottom line of D3.

To have a 3* token that can be used for any character. This token will be the last progression reward for the season.

The "any character" 3* token was proposed by others and I think it's great suggestion. When you add it to the progression reward for season, it makes ppl look forward to the season progression, instead of just a 10 tokens for iso (season 10 packs).

It also is a partial remedy for the vaulting, as you can use this token for characters that are vaulted.

Finally it gives ppl a sense of progression because hey, every month you get to choose 1 3* token of your choice.

This would have minimal impact on d3 bottom line, because the player need 10 months to max cover a specific character. That's very long, and if the player stays that long, well it's a plus for d3.

If d3 is worried that whales will store all this tokens for the use of future characters, make it such that this token can only be kept for a month. Only one month, so they have to use it and can't stock pile it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• That token is just 1250 HP for 3*s, which is what you should be spending once you've figured out who are the key difference makers as a transition player.

I think they should have tokens like the old Diabolical ones that is a random 3* within some predefined criteria.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    That token is just 1250 HP for 3*s, which is what you should be spending once you've figured out who are the key difference makers as a transition player.

I think they should have tokens like the old Diabolical ones that is a random 3* within some predefined criteria.

The random 3* will work too. But I specifically wanted to address the RNG component of tokens.

Many players, especially f2p players feel a lack of control about their progression. So by giving them some thing to "work" for in their seasons reward, it allow them to focus on an objective. And when they got the token, they will have a sense of progression.

Having a 3* token won't help, because you are still subjected to the RNG. I mean, just look at the 10 packs, we are given a good chance of getting 2 3*. But we hear many stories about getting nothing but 2*. Well such events are low probability, when it happens to some one, it will have an impact and gives them a sour taste.

Won't it be better to give them 1 3* of their choice? I think it would be better than the 10 packs.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would limit the token use to the period between season end + new season beginning. Unless you are in a top 100 alliance you are probably getting a handful heroic tokens as your season reward. The top players are getting several 10 packs which will more than likely just turn into ISO. At least this could be somewhat interesting. I'd take 2 skills of my choice (mainly for the new characters introduced that season) over 2x 10 packs for a top 25 finish.
  • D3 posted that RNG is what drives the token sales and that they sold more tokens when it's random compared to the guaranteed a certain guy for 10 pack and I see no reason why they'd be lying, so there's no reason for them to make it easier for players while simultaneously lowering their profit if data shows RNG sells more.

But I think targeted randomness like the old Diablolical tokens (can only be one of five 3*s) should be a good compromise between profit and being able to focus on a character progression. To be fair they sort of have that already with some of the event tokens, but I think it can be even more focused, something along the lines of the anniversary token's greatly increased rate of getting Devil Dino.
  • Last progression reward? I would much like if this was the current 4000 reward instead of the often useless 10-pack. Then it would probably be bad for people still collecting 2*s.
  • atomzed wrote:

If d3 is worried that whales will store all this tokens for the use of future characters, make it such that this token can only be kept for a month. Only one month, so they have to use it and can't stock pile it.

Thoughts?

D3 shouldn't be worried about whales, they already spend enough money in the game...