Tourney/Event suggestion: Nemekslaught & TheLadderpocalpyse

It's not a very big secret that longtime players, particularly those that have supported the game by purchasing HP and unlocking and leveling 3-star characters early, are starting to get bored, if not abandoning the game already. If this is a surprise to D3P, well, now you know.

I suggest an event/tourney to re-engage players with high-level characters/teams that turns their most commonly-played characters into a massive amalgamated Big Bad Boss, a la Onslaught from the 1996 Marvel storyline. No new art assets would necessarily be needed for the character--just have a big generic black silhouette representing that player's top-level team with some random combination of that team's abilities, scores, etc.

Mine that top player's data to determine which characters at which level the players play the most. i.e. To make PolkioSlaught (just theoretically, I'm pulling numbers out of thin air here, so don't shoot me, bud icon_e_smile.gif ), D3P mines Polkio's player data for, let's say, the past month, to find that 54% of his total playtime, he has run C. Magneto at an average level of 115-130, 47% of his total playtime, he has run Spidey at an average level range of 130-140, 32% of his time, he has run Ragnarok at an average level range of 110-115. Create PolkioSlaught with a total HP that equals:

[ (Average health of his C. Magneto this past month) + (Average health of his Spidey this past month) + (Average health of his Ragnarok this past month) ] x 2

When this boss character appears in battle, it is treated as a level 240 version of PolkioSlaught. PolkioSlaught has 3 abilities, one chosen randomly from each of his characters. (Bonus points if the abilities change dynamically from battle to battle but that's not required.)

I can see this event taking at least one of two forms:

- A hybrid PVP/PVE gauntlet-type event in which players compete with each other to earn XX progression points, which earns them a Gauntlet token at the highest progression level. While progression points can be taken away (if it's preferable to keep the current matchmaking system, which it probably would be since it would take less work), the token, once earned, CANNOT be lost.

The Gauntlet token then unlocks a separate PVE event with nothing but amalgam bosses based on player teams. Players then slog their way through PolkioSlaught, TheLadderPocalypse, NemekSlaught, etc. until they reach the top (IceXSlaught?).

- Either after the above event, or instead of the above event, these player-based amalgam bosses simply have a random percentage chance (5% or so) of appearing **INSTEAD OF** a player's next regularly scheduled battle. i.e. You're about to do the next round of No Holds Barred or Double Shot or whatever, and instead, you get pop-up message that you're going to be fighting a powerful raid boss instead, and get put up against one of these bosses. Beating the bosses should carry either a massive set reward (2K ISO, 250 HP, or whatever), or its own set of 4x desirable rewards (1K ISO, 150 HP, Hulk Red Cover, Rag Red Cover). This system, of course, is already used in "raid" events in various Japanese gatcha type games like Rage of Bahamut, so it hopefully wouldn't be a hard sell for management to understand.

To incentivize the event for higher level players, their amalgamated boss selves would appear in the game IF and ONLY IF:
- They logged into the game within the last 48 hours
- They played an actual match within the last 72 hours
- They have at least 4x 3-star characters at level 110+
- They have placed in the top (winning) bracket for at least XX tourneys/events

Every time their amalgamated boss wins a player battle, they should passively gain ISO income, say to the tune of 50-100 ISO per victory.

Comments

• Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif
  • Nemek wrote:

He clearly approves and is overjoyed about the prospect of a tidal wave of 50-100 ISOs booby prizes you suggested. To make it interesting, I think when players beat the mega-boss, the ISO should come out of that players stash. icon_twisted.gif
  • Nemek wrote:
    :oicon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif

Come on man...become NemekSlaught and we will rule the galaxy together!!! icon_lol.gif
    Nemek wrote:

He clearly approves and is overjoyed about the prospect of a tidal wave of 50-100 ISOs booby prizes you suggested. To make it interesting, I think when players beat the mega-boss, the ISO should come out of that players stash. icon_twisted.gif

Yeah, no. Penalizing top players would suck, and basically be counter to the idea of this event. Which is to re-engage top players and encourage them to stay, play, and level their covers.

Also, dynamically upgrading amalgam characters to make them multiplicatively, or at least, additively stronger as top players furiously level out their characters might also be a fun addition. When this event starts, you can just imagine Polkio furiously leveling his Punisher up from, I think the low 100s, to 141 in a single night. Then the next morning, other players are dismayed to find that overnight, PolkioPocalypse suddenly gained + 6000 health *and* Punisher's abilities!! icon_rolleyes.gif It would basically turn high-level meta into a gigantic evil version of Pokemon icon_lol.gif

Edit - I figure for the amalgam bosses, you wouldn't even need to include the player's name on the boss. Just privately inform that player in-game with a pop-up window similar to the tourney standings "You were attacked by" window that says "Your amalgam was attacked and lost / gained XX points." Whether or not top players revealed that their teams had been picked would be up to them...
  • someguy wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

Yeah, no. Penalizing top players would suck, and basically be counter to the idea of this event. Which is to re-engage top players and encourage them to stay, play, and level their covers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. I should have included a icon_e_wink.gif with the icon_twisted.gif . The picking abilities at random might make it too random, for example if you are facing PolkioSlaught with abilities from C. Mag, Rag and Spidey and the computer randomly pulls Rag green, C. Mag blue and Spidey yellow, the player could beat that with any combination of characters. If on the other hand the computer pulled Rag red, C. Mag purple and Spidey blue, the player is going to be in a world of hurt whatever they bring to the fight.

I think the devs should exclude certain skills from the random pool to make things more... interesting. icon_twisted.gif (no icon_e_wink.gif needed here)
  • You got quite a big imagination someguy icon_e_smile.gif

For sure I can be a miniboss in game but I want to choose my characters. But I think that this must be hard as hell and rewards also should be rewarding for completition of such event (I think iso is the best reward for top players).

But I will add a limitation like no boosts. So 240 level characters lets say Rag, Mag and Hood ( to give a posibility of stun to people with Spidey icon_e_smile.gif )
  • boredom is real tho, lots of high level players from the beginning have slowly faded away into the nether

(including myself, i rarely play as srs as i did before, i mean i have an almost maxed ability INVISIBLE WOMAN)

for us with maxed out 3*** heroes, our progression stops since 4****'s are just trash
  • forgrim wrote:

for us with maxed out 3*** heroes, our progression stops since 4****'s are just trash

sad but so true, I was so bored that I leveled 4* wolvie to 50 something level ...
  • Polkio wrote:
    You got quite a big imagination someguy icon_e_smile.gif

For sure I can be a miniboss in game but I want to choose my characters. But I think that this must be hard as hell and rewards also should be rewarding for completition of such event (I think iso is the best reward for top players).

But I will add a limitation like no boosts. So 240 level characters lets say Rag, Mag and Hood ( to give a posibility of stun to people with Spidey icon_e_smile.gif )

Sounds like great suggestions to me. Let the era of PolkioSlaught begin!!! icon_razz.gif
    Polkio wrote:
    sad but so true, I was so bored that I leveled 4* wolvie to 50 something level ...

I mean, I'm getting bored...but not that bored!

(yet)
  • bumping this up