Tanking for standard tokens in PVP

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I was wondering if anyone else in 2* transition land does this in PVP:
1. Go for MMR 400 or 600, for the hp.
2. Tank to about 300th place so that you can get 2 or 3 standard tokens instead of another 2* cover you don't need.

If I can't play the last hour, if I don't shield, I'm not getting top 100. But sometimes I don't want the 3* or I'm short on hp. At least with 2 or 3 standard tokens, I might have 1/7 chance of getting a 3*, or even a 4*.

When the reward system incentives you to place lower instead of higher, I think it says something about the reward system.

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    At least with 2 or 3 standard tokens, I might have 1/7 chance of getting a 3*, or even a 4*.

The 3*+ drop rate on a standard token isn't close 1/7th. It's closer to 1/47th
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I dont know if you have looked at the token thread or not (http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1227) but there are a lot of good metrics in there. I am someone who has foolishly looked at the standard token as better path for covers. I have spent nearly 100K on them and reaped some rewards but not worth the cost of that much ISO. There are few instances where tanking for a standard token is a better idea. Winning 2 heroics, as a minimum, can get you 500 ISO while tanking for a 3 standard tokens can guarantee 375 ISO. In this scenario you could easily break even with just one standard token being a 2* and possibly earn a small amount more if you get 2 of 3. Usually with those heroics rewards is also some ISO. If you want to try your luck then, you could sell those earned 2* covers and buy another standard token.

The only time I think this should be done would be if you have all your 2*s cover maxed/leveled and have 3*s soft capped. Even then its really up to how lucky you feel.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    user311 wrote:
    Winning 2 heroics, as a minimum, can get you 500 ISO while tanking for a 3 standard tokens can guarantee 375 ISO. In this scenario you could easily break even with just one standard token being a 2* and possibly earn a small amount more if you get 2 of 3. Usually with those heroics rewards is also some ISO. If you want to try your luck then, you could sell those earned 2* covers and buy another standard token.

If you were to sell each token regardless of cover, the ROI is:

1 standard token = 130.6 ISO
    1 Heroic token = 320.1 ISO

So while you could receive more from 3 standards than 2 heroics, that's a long term loss in terms of expected value. Since everything about this game is long-term, there's no reason to ever take the 3 standards. If it's 3 standards vs 1 Heroic, then you begin to have an argument (392 vs 320) , but then you need to talk about the utility of the 3* covers, and the waters get muddier. The Heroic should still win, however, unless your roster is complete and tokens are a complete ISO farm.
  • My original post was inelegant. I was talking about PVP rewards, and the fact that a 2* cover is useless once you have all of them, but a standard token might get you something. Where are you getting the 2 heroic tokens from?

How much do standard tokens cost in iso? I've never seen the purchase screen as I've never cleared my standard tokens.

According to the user collected probabilities, a 3* or higher seems to be about 1/40, so about 1/14 or so with 3 of them, 1/20 with 2.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    My original post was inelegant. I was talking about PVP rewards, and the fact that a 2* cover is useless once you have all of them, but a standard token might get you something. Where are you getting the 2 heroic tokens from?

How much do standard tokens cost in iso? I've never seen the purchase screen as I've never cleared my standard tokens.

According to the user collected probabilities, a 3* or higher seems to be about 1/40, so about 1/14 or so with 3 of them, 1/20 with 2.

I was countering user's, but yes, that's roughly correct.

2 standards are worth more than a single 2* cover (260 ISO vs 250 ISO), again without considering the utility of the 2* cover itself.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone else in 2* transition land does this in PVP:
    1. Go for MMR 400 or 600, for the hp.
    2. Tank to about 300th place so that you can get 2 or 3 standard tokens instead of another 2* cover you don't need.

If I can't play the last hour, if I don't shield, I'm not getting top 100. But sometimes I don't want the 3* or I'm short on hp. At least with 2 or 3 standard tokens, I might have 1/7 chance of getting a 3*, or even a 4*.

When the reward system incentives you to place lower instead of higher, I think it says something about the reward system.

Several months ago, I made the suggestion that they give a token instead of a 2* for this exact reason.

As true today as it was back then. Just this past PVP, I would have tanked down to the Standard token award level, except that our Alliance was just barely Top 500 for the 25HP award. As more Alliances fill up now that they are all 20 Slots, I imagine I'll be doing a lot more tanking down in the future.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:

500 Iso-8. So not exactly a good value.