Levelling 4* Characters

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi,

Is there any disadvantage to levelling 4* characters beyond level 166?

The reason I ask is way back when I was transitioning from 2* to 3*, there was always the perception that once you upgraded the 3*s beyond the 2* max, that both the brackets and matchups would increase in difficulty.

Now I know a lot has changed since that point, and there is MMR to consider, but is there any reason why I shouldn't upgrade a 4* to say level 190?

Comments

• You will encounter crazy stupid scaling in PVE and might be thrown in tougher brackets in PVP.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    ephyzephy wrote:
    Is there any disadvantage to levelling 4* characters beyond level 166?
    Numerous.

- PvE scaling (not sure for all of them, but AI starting levels in Gauntlet for sure depends on your roster level)
    - Opportunity cost of not levelling your 3* (Hood, LDaken etc) that would get used more
    - Match damage tanking - Ideally you want a beefy (Hulk, LT etc) or True Healing (Patch, LDaken etc) to have higher match damage so that they can absorb the match damages or eat AI abilities. Leveling 4*s too high (L222 and above, I think) means they start tanking match damage for 3*s instead.

I don't think PvP MMR is affected by roster strength, but I may be wrong.
  • Thanks guys.

I was mainly concerned with the scaling aspect. I have 6 maxed 166 3*s and approaching 250k ISO stored up. I have 9 covers for X Force, but I've left him at level 70. I don't want to level him to 188 or whatever it is and find that it starts screwing my PvE scaling. I'll probably leave him be until another couple of covers drop before even thinking about touching that ISO. No point spending it on an unusable character.

I'll also keep a close eye on the tanking.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Better question would be, is there any advantage to having a 4* at lv166. I don't even think they're usable at that point.
  • My X-Force is at 167 and that's where I will keep him for a long time. And he is very strong at that point.
  • Regardless of the level of your 4*, you're going to face teams rocking lv224 and above X-Force, Fury and eventually Thorette above a certain points threshold in PvP. If you only care about PvE then maybe keep them lower, but the point at which they start to become far less effective at higher levels is around 221-224 I believe.
  • If you focus on PVP it probably makes sense to level them up, with the knowledge it will hurt you in PVE.

If you focus on PVE it probably makes sense to cap them at (or at least not much above) 166, with the knowledge it will limit you in PVP.

My plan is to take mine to 170 (when I get to that point), focus on maxing everyone else, and then reevaluate at some point down the line. Unless and until they make it so that that won't hurt me in PVE (or I have enough leveled up 4*s that the tradeoff doesn't cause me any problems), I don't think I'm taking mine any higher.
  • With xforce, his damage mainly comes from covers. If u got 5 xforce covers, going from lvl 70 -270 only doubles the dmg. At around 170 is the halfway point so u will most likely get less than 50% more power if u lvl him 100more times. Keep him at 170 icon_e_biggrin.gif